Community Message Boards

Thread: Do Cakes Need to Be Refrigerated?

Do Cakes Need to Be Refrigerated?

We usually refrigerate cakes after we make them and them take them out an hour or two ahead of time to warm up before eating. But now we need to make a cake to serve for dinner with some company---and the fridge just doesn't have any room! (We're not even quite sure what is making it so much fuller than normal, but that's a different story!).

Can you leave a homemade cake out for several days without any safety issues? The cake in question will have a couple of eggs in it. It's an applesauce spice type cake, with some maple syrup/sugar icing.
    “It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society”.----Krishnamurti

Unless your kitchen is very warm &/or humid, your cakes should be fine unless the directions instruct you 'fridge them.

Some folks like the firmness that a cold cake has and some prefer the warmness of a room temp one. Sometimes storing in the 'frige will dry a cake out and cause it to taste stale sooner. It's really just your choice which you desire.

I have a couple recipes that I have to store in the 'fridge and the rest sit on the counter for 2 days. Then any that is left is sliced (iced and all) and stored in the deep freeze. We loooooove to pull out a slice or two a few weeks down the road w/out having to bake a whole 'nother cake.
    "I can read and write if that's what you mean. I'm not thick or anything just don't ask me where the commas go."
    Incendiary by Chris Cleave

I would never refrigerate a cake like the one you describe. I just never have. If it had whipped cream or cream cheese icing, I would.
    Margaret

refrigeration dries out the cake so its always best to leave it out UNLESS it has an icing or filling that will go bad (whipped cream or cream cheese). If its not iced (like a buttercream) that covers the entire cake, keep it wrapped well so it doesn't dry out. THe cake ingredients are cooked so don't worry about those. I had a cake instructor who said the original purpose of icing was to keep the cakes moist.

For the cake you are describing I would make it fresh or the day before just because it doesn't have an icing that will seal in the freshness.

I've always wanted to ask this, but have been too ashamed of being this ****-retentive... if the frosting on a cake or cupcakes has a bit of milk in it, do you have to refrigerate them? I know milk spoils, but will leaving it out in this manner for a couple of days make one sick or make the icing taste bad?

Relieved I'm finally gutsy enough to ask,

Kate

I'm with all of those who only refrigerate cakes with cream cheese or whipped cream. I don't refrigerate cakes with icing that has a bit of milk in it -- I'm thinking of when you do a glaze that's milk and powdered sugar. I wouldn't refrigerate that. I think it'll be just fine at room temp for a few days. I'll be curious to hear what others have to say.

I think an icing with milk (at least a buttercream type) is good for a day or 2 unfrigerated. Its something to do with the high sugar content that keeps it from spoiling.