Community Message Boards

Thread: Need Super-Easy Meal to Take to Sick Friend

Need Super-Easy Meal to Take to Sick Friend

Hope someone can help me out with an idea for a super-easy meal to take to a sick friend today. My friend is a 49 year old widow with a 14 year old son and she just had a major stroke -- so sad. She is due to come home from the hospital today and I offered to bring dinner over. I have a super busy day and am packing to go out of town tomorrow so I'm trying to think of something that required minimal preparation. I was thinking of bringing a rotisserie chicken from the store with sides or a chicken tortellin dish. Just checking to see if anyone has any really easy ideas....thank you a bunch!

This one is super easy. Maybe not quite as easy as a roasted chicken, but pretty close. Piping the filling into the manicotti from a plastic bag makes it go even faster. Sending good thoughts for your friend!

Easy Meatless Manicotti

2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
    1 (16-ounce) carton fat-free cottage cheese
    1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
    1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 (8-ounce) package manicotti (14 shells)
    1 (26-ounce) jar fat-free tomato-basil pasta sauce
    Cooking spray
    1 cup water

Preheat oven to 375.
    Combine 1 1/2 cups mozzarella, cottage cheese, and the next 5 ingredients (through black pepper) in a medium bowl. Spoon about 3 tablespoons cheese mixture into each uncooked manicotti. Pour half of tomato-basil pasta sauce into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange stuffed shells in a single layer over sauce, and top with the remaining sauce. Pour 1 cup water into dish. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella evenly over sauce. Cover tightly with foil. Bake at 375 for 1 hour or until shells are tender. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Yield: 7 servings (serving size: 2 manicotti)

CALORIES 328 (25% from fat); FAT 9g (sat 4.8g,mono 2.2g,poly 0.5g); PROTEIN 23.8g; CHOLESTEROL 23mg; CALCIUM 451mg; SODIUM 891mg; FIBER 3.9g; IRON 3mg; CARBOHYDRATE 38.3g

Cooking Light, MAY 2005

spaghetti and meatballs is pretty easy
    I'm walking in the avon walk for breast cancer AGAIN for the 5th year (2008)!

Donate Here

Turkey Pumpkin chili

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. You're very kind to help out during what must be a stressful and scary time for her and her son.

I think bringing over a meal is a wonderful way to show your support. I just made a very delicious and super quick (one pot!) meal the other night. It's a turkey chili with pureed pumpkin. It serves six, so they can enjoy it throughout the week. I love that I only had to clean one pot after making it. I usually destroy my kitchen when cooking!

Just remember to use a can of organic pureed pumpkin (not the kind you use for pie filling). Here's my blog post with the recipe and a review about it:

http://testdrivekitchen.blogspot.com...ra-action.html

All the best,
    Karen
    www.testdrivekitchen.blogspot.com

A rotisserie chicken works well. I had a massive heart attack 2 years ago and colleagues kindly brought dinners over for the first while. I found easy to eat food worked especially well, particularly at first. Low fat, low sodium was really important. Does she have physical limitations that will affect eating, cutting, swallowing... Simple works well. You are a good friend.

If I think of specific recipe, I'll send it in.
    FWIW
    -Susan
    Be the person your dog thinks you are

The chicken is fine

If you went to too much trouble she'll feel bad knowing you're life is so crazy right now. The only real suggestion I have is to make sure you carve the chicken up for them. A person who just had a stroke will have a hard time carving a chicken and lord only knows what it may look like if a 14 yr old boy gets a hold of it!