Community Message Boards

Thread: Inspiration needed, what to serve with....

Inspiration needed, what to serve with....

I am craving Chicken Francese, and am looking for a little inspiration on what to serve with it. I'm working on my weekly meal plan and am stuck. Any ideas for me???

I'm not familiar with that dish -- could you post the recipe?
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

It's not a light dish, well at least the version I'm making. I like David Rosengartens version with the Pecorino, but I also wanted to try Cooks Illustrated version, here are both:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chicken Francese

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    Sauce
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1 small onion -- minced (about 1/3 cup)
    1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup dry white wine or vermouth
    1/3 cup lemon juice from 2 lemons
    2 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
    Table salt and ground black pepper
    Chicken
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    Table salt and ground black pepper
    2 large eggs
    2 tablespoons milk
    4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Halves -- (6 to 8 ounces each), tenderloins removed, breasts trimmed of excess fat, halved horizontally (see note), and pounded to even 1/4-inch thickness
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 200 degrees. Set wire rack on rimmed baking sheet and place sheet in oven.

2.FOR THE SAUCE: Heat 1 tablespoon butter in medium nonreactive saucepan over medium heat. When foaming subsides, add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add flour and stir until light golden brown, about 1 minute. Whisk in wine, lemon juice, and broth; increase heat to high and bring to boil, whisking constantly. Lower heat to medium-high and cook, whisking occasionally, until mixture is reduced to 1 1/2 cups, 10 to 15 minutes. Strain sauce through mesh strainer, return to saucepan, and set aside.

3. FOR THE CHICKEN: Set second wire rack on second rimmed baking sheet on counter. Whisk together flour, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in pie plate. In second pie plate, whisk eggs and milk until combined. Season both sides of each cutlet with salt and pepper. Using tongs and working with 2 cutlets at a time, coat cutlets in seasoned flour; shake off excess flour. Transfer cutlets to egg mixture; coat evenly and let excess run off. Return cutlets to seasoned flour; coat evenly and shake off excess flour. Place coated cutlets on wire rack on counter.

4. Heat 1 tablespoon each butter and oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; when foaming subsides, place 4 cutlets in skillet. Cook until well browned, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Carefully flip cutlets and continue to cook until lightly browned on second sides, 30 to 60 seconds. Transfer chicken to wire rack in oven. Wipe out skillet with paper towels. Repeat, using remaining 1 tablespoon each butter and oil to cook remaining cutlets in now-empty skillet. After transferring chicken to oven, wipe out skillet with paper towels.

5. TO FINISH SAUCE AND SERVE: Transfer sauce to now-empty skillet and set over low heat; cook until sauce is heated through, about 1 minute. Whisk in remaining 2 tablespoons butter; adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Remove baking sheet with chicken from oven; transfer 4 cutlets to skillet, turn to coat with sauce, then transfer each serving (2 cutlets) to individual plates. Repeat with remaining cutlets. Spoon 2 tablespoons additional sauce over each serving and sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately, passing extra sauce separately

Published: September 1, 2005
    Serves 4

Chicken Francese With Lemon And Pecorino
    David Rosengarten

1/2 pound Boneless skinless chicken breast
    Salt ; to taste
    Freshly-ground black pepper ; to taste
    2 tablespoon heaping Finely-grated Pecorino cheese
    4 tablespoon Very finely chopped parsley
    1 Egg ; beaten well
    Flour ; for dredging
    1/4 cup Olive oil
    1/4 cup Dry white wine
    1 cup Chicken stock
    6 slices Lemon ; round and thin seeds removed
    2 tablespoon Butter

Cut the chicken breasts into 12 pieces of roughly equal size. Place the pieces between sheets of waxed paper, and pound with a mallet until they're thin. Season with salt and pepper. Place cheese and 4 tablespoons parsley in a wide, shallow bowl. Slowly add the beaten egg, whisking until it's smoothly incorporated. Place the flour on a wide plate. Dip the pounded chicken in the egg mixture. Remove, letting excess egg drip off. Place each cutlet in the flour, and coat lightly. Remove from flour and hold them in a single layer. Add the olive oil to 2 saute pan large enough to hold 3 cutlets in a single layer. Place over medium - high heat. When the oil is hot, add the cutlets. Saute, turning once, until the cutlets are golden on the outside, just cooked on the inside (about 2 minutes per side). Remove the cutlets, and hold them in a single layer. Repeat with remaining cutlets. Spill the oil out of the saute pan.

Return the pan to high heat. Add 1/4 cup of white wine to each pan and reduce it to 2 tablespoons in each pan. Divide the stock and the lemon slices between the pans. Boil for 5 minutes, then remove the lemon slices. Keep boiling the sauce until it's reduced to 1/2 cup. Turn heat to very low. Swirl 2 tablespoons butter into each pan until the sauce is thickened. Add cutlets to each pan, turning them until they are coated in sauce. Divide cutlets among 4 plates, garnish with remaining 4 tablespoons of parsley, and serve immediately.
    Last edited by Tizzylish; 03-29-2008 at 10:22 AM. Reason: recipe correction

I love chicken francese and when we go out to one restaurant, I order it. I make it at home too. The restaurant adds some spinach and sun dried tomatoes to theirs, I have the recipe from a magazine, and then I just serve it over angel hair or linguine. That way I have protein, starch and veggies covered.
    The spinach does get a little grey from the lemon so it's not pretty as leftovers, but good.
    Carlin

I like Tyler Florence's version:

Chicken Francese Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence

4 skinless, boneless, chicken breasts (about 11/2 pounds)
    All-purpose flour, for dredging
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    4 large eggs
    3 tablespoons water
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    1/2 lemon, with rind, cut in thin rounds
    1/2 cup dry white wine, such as Pinot Grigio
    1 cup chicken broth
    1/2 lemon, juiced
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley

Put the chicken breasts side by side on a cutting board and lay a piece of plastic wrap over them. Pound the chicken breasts with a flat meat mallet, until they are about 1/4-inch thick. Put some flour in a shallow platter and season with a fair amount of salt and pepper; mix with a fork to distribute evenly. In a wide bowl, beat the eggs with 3 tablespoons of water to make an egg wash. Heat the oil over medium-high flame in a large skillet.
    Dredge both sides of the chicken cutlets in the seasoned flour, and then dip them in the egg wash to coat completely, letting the excess drip off. When the oil is nice and hot, add the cutlets and fry for 2 minutes on each side until golden, turning once. Remove the chicken cutlets to a large platter in a single layer to keep warm.

Toss the lemon slices into the pan and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until fragrant. Add the wine, broth, and lemon juice, simmer for 5 minutes to reduce the sauce slightly. Roll the butter in some flour and add it to the skillet, this will thicken the sauce. Stir to incorporate and dissolve the flour. Reduce the heat to medium-low and return the chicken to the pan; place the lemon slices on top of the cutlets. Simmer gently for 2 minutes to heat the chicken through. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with chopped parsley before serving.

Thanks for the ideas Home Chef, spinach sounds good. I guess I'll make extra sauce and serve it over capellini.