Community Message Boards

Thread: Isopropyl Alcohol removes Sharpie marker + other tips from my glamorous life

Thumbs up Isopropyl Alcohol removes Sharpie marker + other tips from my glamorous life

As I am consumed these days with the cleaning process to get our house ready to put on the market in a couple of weeks, information like this is getting me jazzed these days.

I had stacks of medium-sized plastic storage boxes with lids that I used to neatly store shirts, shorts, etc. in my closet. I marked them with a black Sharpie markers to identify what was in them. I've since replaced those plastic boxes with attractive woven baskets with fabric liners - makes the closets more 'showable.'

I still have a use for the plastic boxes but wanted to remove the markings. After scrubbing with dish detergent, Clorox, Ajax, the marker remained. The website for Britain's "How Clean Is Your House" t.v. series had a tip suggesting isopropyl alcohol to remove marker. I have some alcohol in a spray bottle which I sprayed on the marker - it literally melts it right off! I'm so excited! (I know, lame.)

I've also learned to mix lemon oil with warm water, wring out the rag well, then wipe down wood furniture. Gorgeous.

"Greased Lightning" automotive cleaner was suggested for grease build-up in the kitchen. I've used it on the exhaust fan, my gas stove burner pans and the tile back splash behind the stove. (I saute with olive oil quite a bit.) It cuts right through it like nothing else.

White vinegar is great for countless uses, as in this previous thread:
    http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...d.php?t=101860 Also mentioned on that thread was tea for hardwood floors - that's a good one too.

I've also followed the many suggestions from members here to check out "Fly Lady." She is brilliant. I actually follow her morning routine and it has helped me tremendously. My own addition to this list is to put on '80's music to keep me motivated. I printed out Fly Lady's list and have it posted on my fridge:

"Your Morning Routine Will Change Your Life!"

1. Get up and *weigh (*I skip that one.)
    2. Shower, get dressed to lace up shoes, fix your hair and face
    3. While you are in the bathroom, Swish and Swipe
    4. Grab a load of laundry and start the washer
    5. Check your calendar for today's' activities
    6. Empty dishwasher to start your day
    7. Eat something good for you, take your medicine and vitamins
    8. What's for dinner
    9. Drink your water
    10. Put some 'Loving Movement' in your day. (I walk or 'jog' on my mini trampoline.)

What are your favorite cleaning/organizing/get-your-a$$-in-gear tips?

Okay, break's over -~- back to my glamorous life. Hey, where do I get a pair of these gloves?

"If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space."

I get excited about stuff like this too! I have been using Greased Lightning for a long time. It really is awesome stuff.

I wonder if the alcohol worked on your bins because they are not porous. I was hoping you'd say the Sharpie came out of clothing.

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

No, you are not lame! These tips are great; thanks! Another way to remove Sharpie from a hard surface is to use vegetable oil.

My organizing tip is one that I'm starting today (with a tiny break on the BB for a minute, of course ). As a SAHM, my to-do list is usually overwhelming. I'm trying to finish each catch-up day's must-do's by noon (almost made it today; had some post-party cleanup 1st), then take the 12-3 time block (before DD gets home from school) to do a cleanout. For me, a "catch-up" day is Monday and Thursday: I try to stay home all day (no errands, no grocery store, no appts) and do laundry, accounting, paperwork, housework, etc. and had hoped to tackle the big cleanouts but those usually don't get touched. This is my new plan to stop the daily grind from bumping my bigger plans off the list--instead, some of the piddly housework tasks can get bumped. Now I'm off to unpack the table linens that have been packed since we moved . . .
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

Quote Originally Posted by Gracie View Post
    I get excited about stuff like this too! I have been using Greased Lightning for a long time. It really is awesome stuff.

I wonder if the alcohol worked on your bins because they are not porous. I was hoping you'd say the Sharpie came out of clothing.

Loren
    I was able to get sharpie out of a shirt using rubbing alcohol. I did it pretty much immediately after it happened, and had to use a lot of alcohol, but it did come out.
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

Quote Originally Posted by GingerPow View Post

Okay, break's over -~- back to my glamorous life. Hey, where do I get a pair of these gloves?

How about these?

or these?

I'd probably do a lot more housecleaning if only my rubber gloves were more glamorous.
    "Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." --Mark Twain

"Is it true that cannibals won't eat clowns because they taste funny?"

"In wine there is wisdom; in beer there is strength; in water there is bacteria"

The pup I am fostering chewed up a sharpie on the slipcover for the couch. I am gonna try the alcohol trick tonight. (I just figured it was a lost cause and didn't try any cleaning method.)

If you have three bottles of food coloring all over your bathroom, use toothpaste to get it off your counter tops and cabinets. Don't ask me how I know this
    Beth

"A teacher who says, 'I am a good teacher,' is in trouble. A good teacher is frequently troubled, in doubt, frustrated. Perfection doesn't exist. Everyone needs help." (Amelia Gambetti)

If you accidentally dump your wax potpourri melter (tarts) all over your cherrywood desk, Goo Gone will get every bit of wax shrapnel off the wood!
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

Quote Originally Posted by fci5767 View Post
    If you have three bottles of food coloring all over your bathroom, use toothpaste to get it off your counter tops and cabinets. Don't ask me how I know this
    good one, maybe it will work for my countertops (which are being replaced so I'm not overly concerned).

Don't you have a toddler/preschooler? I can only imagine how you know this
    There cannot be a crisis today. My schedule is already full.
    -Henry Kissinger

Another remedy to Sharpie marker - regular acetone-based nail polish remover.

I just found a few boxes with markings from about 8 years ago. The alcohol didn't do a thing, but the acetone nail polish remover dissolved it immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBrownCat View Post
    How about these?
    or these?
    I'd probably do a lot more housecleaning if only my rubber gloves were more glamorous.
    They are very chic LBC! I found the company "Gloveables" which provides the gloves for sale at the two links you provided. I like this pair - I'll wear them when I do dishes in my evening gown.
    http://www.gloveablesinc.com/gloves.html#
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by GingerPow View Post
    Another remedy to Sharpie marker - regular acetone-based nail polish remover.

I just found a few boxes with markings from about 8 years ago. The alcohol didn't do a thing, but the acetone nail polish remover dissolved it immediately.
    Test these plastics with caution. Some polymers and some solvents don't mix well and you end up with cloudy plastic.

SSM
    Now Robin's Mom too...10/21/02

Quote Originally Posted by MinEaston View Post
    good one, maybe it will work for my countertops (which are being replaced so I'm not overly concerned).

Don't you have a toddler/preschooler? I can only imagine how you know this
    Yep. I had a turquoise, pink, and purple 3 1/2-year-old for a few days. A mommy that was similarly-colored, as well. That stuff gets EVERYWHERE. I've had a box of food coloring in the upstairs bathroom for months. Every once in a while, I squeeze a few drops into the tub so the kids can play in the colored water. Well, it was a little quiet that day. I went upstairs and it was quite colorful.

What made it even better was that we were supposed to go to DSS to meet with Chris's adoption social worker in an hour and a half. And the baby's foster care social worker was supposed to do a home visit in three hours. I wasn't worried about what they'd think but I was a little frazzled... and purple.

I did learn that purple food coloring fades faster than either turquoise or pink, on skin. Not sure why. C still has color on his fingers and under his nails.

Charlie's Soap has been my favorite laundry detergent for a year. Now, I'm a fan for life! It got all the cotton towels and rags clean. Polyester not as much but it saved a whole stack of towels.
    Beth

"A teacher who says, 'I am a good teacher,' is in trouble. A good teacher is frequently troubled, in doubt, frustrated. Perfection doesn't exist. Everyone needs help." (Amelia Gambetti)

Quote Originally Posted by hollysmom View Post
    Test these plastics with caution. Some polymers and some solvents don't mix well and you end up with cloudy plastic.
    SSM
    Good to know. Luckily, these are plastic storage boxes, so if they would have turned cloudy it wouldn't have been a huge deal. I will remember that for other items that it could be an issue with.
    Every once in a while, I squeeze a few drops into the tub so the kids can play in the colored water. Well, it was a little quiet that day. I went upstairs and it was quite colorful.

Charlie's Soap has been my favorite laundry detergent for a year. Now, I'm a fan for life! It got all the cotton towels and rags clean. Polyester not as much but it saved a whole stack of towels.
    Beth, I love that idea of the colored water! Did you grab a video of your rainbow colored kids and bathroom? That's what those funny home-video shows are made of!

Where to do find Charlie's Soap? I've heard it advertised, but haven't seen it in the stores where I shop.

I get it at Whole Foods and I've seen it at other health or co-op stores. I used to do the liquid but the powder is so easy and a little cheaper.

I'll send you some if you can't find it. I know you can get it online but I've heard shipping charges are high.

Or you can get you behind down to NC and buy some yourself .
    Beth

Whoa, the prices on the Charlie's Soap website are a LOT higher than in the stores. I pay about $8 a bag (which is 80 loads.)
    Beth

I get it at Whole Foods and I've seen it at other health or co-op stores. I used to do the liquid but the powder is so easy and a little cheaper.

I'll send you some if you can't find it. I know you can get it online but I've heard shipping charges are high.

Or you can get you behind down to NC and buy some yourself .
    Well, DD applied to UNC Chapel Hill Law School and is still waiting to hear with fingers crossed - that's her #1 pick. If she gets in, her acceptance from another law school is OFF and she is NC bound. I'll just HAVE TO go down to help her move!

Thank you for your offer to send me some, you're a sweetheart. There is a Whole Foods about 1-1/2 hours from me, and my list is growing. I'll see if they have it. If not, I'll just have to do a Charlie's Soap run to NC!

I was glad to find this thread since DS#1 (20 months) just created a Sharpie disaster for me to clean up (Sharpie vs Kitchen Counter) and while the alcohol worked well on the tile, I'm having a hard time getting it off the grout. Any suggestions?
    "In France, cooking is a serious art form and a national sport."
    --Julia Child

Alcohol got 95 percent of the red sharpie out of my khaki slip cover. Barely noticeable.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I'm still on the Charlie's Soap love train. My fourteen-month-old got tons of strawberry juice on her dress at my dad's wedding. It looked hopeless. Thanks to Charlie's Soap and hot water, the stains are completely gone. And I don't have to kill my strawberry-feeding sister.
    Beth

Quote Originally Posted by honeygirl1971 View Post
    I was glad to find this thread since DS#1 (20 months) just created a Sharpie disaster for me to clean up (Sharpie vs Kitchen Counter) and while the alcohol worked well on the tile, I'm having a hard time getting it off the grout. Any suggestions?
    Try pure acetone. I bought a tin of acetone from Home Depot to remove dried paint spots on the hardwood floor, then tried it on a stubborn Sharpie spot on a shower curtain. It absolutely removed it.

Warning though - wear rubber gloves and keep the window open. Acetone shouldn't be inhaled nor absorbed through the skin. You could also try acetone nail polish remover. I don't know the strength of the acetone in a bottle of remover, but it's worth a try before making a trip to the hardware store.

Thanks to Charlie's Soap and hot water, the stains are completely gone. And I don't have to kill my strawberry-feeding sister.
    There's a commercial for Charlie's Soap right there: removes stains and prevents homicide.

Thanks for the tip, Gingerpow. I am pg right now and am trying to avoid contact with toxic chemicals, so I may wait before trying something like acetone. I may just keep scrubbing with alcohol and see if it lessens over time. It's good to know a drastic solution exists should I need it, though!
    "In France, cooking is a serious art form and a national sport."
    --Julia Child

Quote Originally Posted by honeygirl1971 View Post
    Thanks for the tip, Gingerpow. I am pg right now and am trying to avoid contact with toxic chemicals, so I may wait before trying something like acetone. I may just keep scrubbing with alcohol and see if it lessens over time. It's good to know a drastic solution exists should I need it, though!
    Absolutely - didn't realize you're preggers - no acetone for you!!

I've also removed Sharpie with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sponge. Even though grout is porous, it might work to get some off of the surface of the grout, perhaps even to lighten it a little. Those little things are incredible.