Community Message Boards

Thread: Best way to flatten chicken breasts?

Post Best way to flatten chicken breasts?

I need guidance!

I have a few recipes that call for chicken breasts to be flattened to 1/4 inch thick. I have a meat tenderizer, but it just doesn't seem to do the trick. Neither does the bottom of a saucepan. Perhaps I'm just doing it wrong, or maybe it's my lack of muscle. Hey, I'm not buff, but I'd like to think that at the end of the day I could still pound a little measley chicken breast.

Please help before my self esteem is totally squashed.

Danielle

Never fear Danielle! You can "beat" that breast!

Actually, I don't know what the proper way to do it is, but I use a marble rolling pin that my mother gave me. I don't need any muscle at all (which is good as I don't have any either.) I just sort of pound it lightly and it flattens out.

Good luck!
    Kim

I've used a wood or marble rolling pin, the back of a big heavy spoon we call the ice cream paddle, a mallet or the flat side of a tenderizer.

I am soooo lazy. I take a sharp knife and slice the breasts lengthwise. Voila! Flat breasts.

Kristi

Wink

Originally posted by Kristilyn1:
    I am soooo lazy. I take a sharp knife and slice the breasts lengthwise. Voila! Flat breasts.

Kristi
    Hmm... now this sounds like another secret vice. And I have to admit I often do the same thing.

Flat side of a meat tenderizer with chicken between plastic wrap works for me. Strangely enough, sometimes one side of chicken is more easily flattened than the other! Weird but true!

Danielle,

Thanks for asking this question!

Silly me, I've been trying to roll and press them flat, when I should have been pounding.

Absolutely! Pound away! It's great for getting out the stress and tension of the day.

Arrow

kristilyn1...
    my flat breasts have nothing to do with a knife!?!

danielle...my fist works and relieves stress, too!

[This message has been edited by andrea (edited 07-26-2000).]

I use the same method that Elinorc does. I use the flat side of the meat tenderizer and put the meat between 2 pieces of plastic wrap or wax paper and take out all of my stress and frustrations from the day. But be careful not to do it on a royally horrible day because you won't have much chicken left to cook It really does work like a charm.

I have a big mallet that has a metal side (meat tenderizer) and a flat, wooden side. I use the flat side to pound the chicken breasts. I know you're supposed to put the chicken between sheets of waxed paper; sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. It's a little neater if you do, but on a busy weeknight, who cares? The knife method also works well, especially if the breasts are large (note I didn't say "if you have big breasts")!

My vote goes to the marble rolling pin that I ask my husband to wield. He swears some day he's just going to get the car out and roll over the chicken.....

I have a metal meat pounder by Rowoco that is very effective for veal and chicken breast.
    I put the chicken breast between a pice of aluminum foil or plastic wrap and pound to desired thickness

This probably belongs on the "confessional posts", but I don't think I ever flatten my breasts... although I'd imagine you'd have to for certain recipes.

Wink

I use a BIG old wooden rolling pin. I put the chicken between two pieces of wax paper or saran wrap and hold one end of the rolling pin and pound it with the middle portion. I had been using an old wooden meat mallet but found this easier. I think because it is heavier than the mallet.Flattening the breast makes them cook much faster, wish I had figured it out sooner!

[This message has been edited by LynnSC (edited 07-29-2000).]

I use the flat side of a meat tenderizer with plastic wrap as well. It works wonderful! I find that making chicken thinner works better for most chicken breast recipes.

Wink

I always tenderize my chicken with the blunt side of the mallet. If you use the prickly side it punctures the plastic wrap and flings raw chicken particles everywhere. ewww
    Although my husband likes my "flattened breasts" (of chicken), I do not like when he tells our dinner guests that I "beat my meat" before they came over!

Foodgirl, you are too funny!! My husband likes to take every opportunity to embarrass me in front of others, so I can sympathize! I guess you are like me in that you have learned, by necessity, to be able to laugh at yourself!

Sorry, I don't have any chicken flattening advice to offer! I always buy the thin cut cutlets or, if I can't get them, I will take a filet knife and cut them in half, as suggested above.

[This message has been edited by MrsReber (edited 08-07-2000).]