Community Message Boards

Thread: Whole Wheat Sweet Potato Gnocchi and ????

Hybrid View

Un-American NY

Whole Wheat Sweet Potato Gnocchi and ????

During a Sunday jaunt over the river to Rhinebeck, we made a first visit to a new, rather upscale Italian market, where I picked up a pound of ww sweet potato gnocchi.

Last night I reheated a leftover portion of the Gourmet Carrots & Brussels Sprouts posted elsewhere here, combined them with a cup of the cooked gnocchi and tossed it all with a handful of shredded parmesan for a really super "instant" supper.

There's still a lot of gnocchi left and I'd like to do something similar, combined with vegetables, but not sure what would work. The sweet potato flavor is not especially pronounced.

I have savoy cabbage, cauliflower, leeks, sweet potatoes and carrots handy, and a well stocked pantry for almost anything else I might need. I'm thinking of combining with the cabbage somehow, but am puzzled at what else might work to make a similar hearty bowlful like last night's.

Any of you creative cooks have any ideas, even another recipe, possibly a pasta sauce, that might work?

Houston, TX
    Those sound great.

You could do almost the same as last night, but roast the cauliflower and caramelize the leeks. Maybe add a dash or 2 of balsamic. Or instead of parmesan and balsamic, you could do something w/ a sage butter sauce w/ the caramelized leeks.

Hi Bob,

This has nothing to do with vegetables, but I, too, have some sweet potato gnocchi in my pantry and think this sounds good!,00.html

I made another Giada gnocchi recipe, but am having trouble finding it. If I do, I'll post because it was really good (spinach, parmesan, etc.)

Eastern Shore of MD
    I'm with Pony - use the leeks (caramelized or roasted sounds great) for sure. I'm not a fan of cauliflower but I could see how it would match well. Browned butter & sage or rosemary would work as a sauce, and I'd add a handful of toasted pinenuts to the dish, myself.

(I just watched Ratatouille for the first time last night and am trying to think like Remy!)
    There cannot be a crisis today. My schedule is already full.
    -Henry Kissinger

I am not sure how this would work never having tasted sweet potato gnocchi. but here is a link to a Rachel Ray Recipe for Vegetable Not-sagna Pasta Toss.,00.html

Not sure if it will help but it did sound interesting .
    Grandma Pam to 3

Chocolate is made from beans
    Coffee is made from beans
    Beans are a vegetable
    Have you had your vegetables today?

Laguna Beach
    This is a very versatile recipe and would work well with any of vegetables you have. I usually use nonfat half & half for a lighter version.

Gratineed gnocchi with spinach and ricotta

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : PASTA VEGETARIAN

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 package potato gnocchi -- (1-lb)
    2/3 cup heavy cream
    1/2 teaspoon all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    3 packages spinach -- frozen ok
    1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
    2/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese

Preheat broiler.

Cook gnocchi in a 5-quart pot of boiling salted water according to package instructions (gnocchi will float to surface when done). Drain in a colander.

Whisk together cream, flour, salt, pepper, and nutmeg in a 12-inch ovenproof skillet, then bring to a boil over moderate heat, whisking. Continue to boil, whisking frequently, until reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Add spinach in handfuls, tossing with tongs, and cook until wilted, 2 to 4 minutes.

Remove from heat, then stir in gnocchi. Spoon ricotta over gnocchi in 5 large dollops and sprinkle with mozzarella. Broil 4 to 6 inches from heat until cheese is browned and bubbling in spots, about 2 minutes. Season with pepper.

"4 servings"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 242 Calories; 21g Fat (76.5% calories from fat); 10g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 73mg Cholesterol; 564mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 3 1/2 Fat.