Community Message Boards

Thread: Ear drops in my dog's ears? Is it possible??

Ear drops in my dog's ears? Is it possible??

Anybody have any tips on getting ear drops in a dog's ear?? My dog has seasonal allergies and he is scratching at his ears a lot. In addition to an antihistamine, the vet gave us some drops and said to put 8 drops in each ear.

I haven't even come close! He is only 37 pounds, but even with DH holding him down, he does not let you near his ears with drops. In the past we have tried to use a liquid ear cleaner on him, and that was not a success either.

Any other tips on combatting my dog's allergies are appreciated too. I have seen fish oil capsules, for example, in the Dr Foster catalog that claim to really help, but I have not tried them.
    Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.

Can you approach him when he is really relaxed and sleepy? Maybe just sit down with him on his dog bed and allow him to fall asleep on your lap and allow him to be comfortable with you touching his ears?

My great dane has horrible skin allergies... so I don't have personal experience with ear drops. However, my two of my parents' mastiffs have horrible ear problems, so they get their ears cleaned at least once a week. They associate it with treats so they settle down for it pretty easily.

When all else fails, Benadryl makes your dog uber sleepy (joking of course, ask your vet!)
    - Josie

Is he food-motivated?
    Have you done any clicker training?
    "I worry that you don't worry enough"--another worrier aka the Yarn Harlot

my best friends son patented a product specifically designed to deliver medication to pet ears. i don't have pets but others that have tried it raved. check out the site and see what you think!

http://www.earmaxx.com/

not sure if i did that right, but...

wendi

I just pick up Cody, tell him that I'm going to win because I'm bigger than him plus that I'm his mom and I get to do whatever I want, when he has kids, either fur or human, he can have his way then, lay him down on his back, roll him over on his side a little bit, lift ear, insert drops, rub ear a bit to get them distributed.

He snorts and makes noises sometimes, but he's good about it.

Moral of the story: Own a Shih Tzu.

In all seriousness, I agree with Josie. I have sometimes done things to Cody when he was sleepy. I will say though, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."

I'm totally with you! We don't have to give ear medicine, but have a horrible time cleaning our dog's ears! Can't imagine 8 drops in each ear.

I don't have any magic tips. We definitely only do it when he's sleepy after a long run. Typically have to do each ear at separate times, as well.

I looked at the Earmaxx site, and am not convinced. I know the syringe gets the solution further down in the ear....but does the dog actually take it any better? Maybe the liquid wouldn't bug him as much??

Earmaxx

Quote Originally Posted by SusanMac View Post
    I looked at the Earmaxx site, and am not convinced. I know the syringe gets the solution further down in the ear....but does the dog actually take it any better? Maybe the liquid wouldn't bug him as much??
    What people say that use it is that it's much easier to hold the syringe making it easier to hold your dogs head...and most importantly when the liquid/medicine goes in, it's already well into the ear canal, and doesn't "shake out" when they move around.

Wendi

I don't have any good answers for you since both my dogs have no problem letting me put Mometamax in their ears (8 drops). They just sit quietly while I do it - it doesn't hurt them or bother them so they don't mind. I think handling your dog a lot as a puppy is the best way to condition them (I can cut their toenails, do whatever, they don't mind one bit).

But I think if it were me in your situation, I'd probably just have to have DH pin them down and then gently stroke them and talk soothingly to them while I put in the drops and then praise like heck once I was done so they get the idea that it's not bad.

Hopefully the vets here will have a better answer....

I was going to suggest clicker training as well. You can get clickers at most pet stores now. The first time you train him, just click and quickly give him a treat. Click, treat, C/T, C/T, etc - until he's associated the click with the treat.

To move towards his ears, you have to go slowly. Move your hand towards his ear, then quickly C/T. Do that until he's comfortable. Then progress to touching near his ear, then the outside of his ear, then inside, then having the drops nearby while doing all of the above. It might take a few days (you can't do all this at once, unless he's really moving through each step quickly). When he finally lets you put drops in his ears, click and give him a big jackpot - something super-tasty! And always end a training session when he's been successful - if he's not letting you touch his ears, back off until he'll let you get near them with your hand (or farther).

There are a ton of books on Clicker Training - Karen Pryor and Jean Donaldson have some fantastic ones.

Grace - I think you have labs, right? Mine is the same way - he loves having his ears cleaned with kleenex (his eyes glaze over, and he kind of grunts and leans into it). And toes aren't a problem either. But my other dog is a lot more touchy - I think a lot of it is ingrained. Labs just tend to be pretty laid back, go-with-the-flow sort of dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by leightx View Post
    I was going to suggest clicker training as well. You can get clickers at most pet stores now. The first time you train him, just click and quickly give him a treat. Click, treat, C/T, C/T, etc - until he's associated the click with the treat.

To move towards his ears, you have to go slowly. Move your hand towards his ear, then quickly C/T. Do that until he's comfortable. Then progress to touching near his ear, then the outside of his ear, then inside, then having the drops nearby while doing all of the above. It might take a few days (you can't do all this at once, unless he's really moving through each step quickly). When he finally lets you put drops in his ears, click and give him a big jackpot - something super-tasty! And always end a training session when he's been successful - if he's not letting you touch his ears, back off until he'll let you get near them with your hand (or farther).

There are a ton of books on Clicker Training - Karen Pryor and Jean Donaldson have some fantastic ones.

Grace - I think you have labs, right? Mine is the same way - he loves having his ears cleaned with kleenex (his eyes glaze over, and he kind of grunts and leans into it). And toes aren't a problem either. But my other dog is a lot more touchy - I think a lot of it is ingrained. Labs just tend to be pretty laid back, go-with-the-flow sort of dogs.
    Thank you for this explanation! We had used a great trainer for a couple of sessions, and she did give us a clicker. Shadow just learned what we wanted him to learn so fast (I know I sound like I am bragging!) that we never really had to use the clicker.

He learned Sit, Stay, Down, Drop It, very easily, so we kind of put the clicker away. He is very laid-back over all, except his ears. He doesn't like me to swipe them with a tissue, he doesn't mind being brushed, but I do have to use some food to distract him sometimes when I am around his ears.

Another poster suggested trying when he is sleeping, and he does pass out most evenings, but messing with his ears is the only thing that puts him on high alert at night! And he is part Lab - he must have skipped that eyes glazing over thing with his ears!

I can see how that syringe might be helpful because if I can get close to the ear it would be easier to just squirt the dose in rather than count out 8 drops!

I will dust off the clicker and try that. I also bought a different brand of dog food that was recommended to help with allergies - we'll see!
    Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.