Community Message Boards

Thread: Can I make Lentils in my rice cooker?

Can I make Lentils in my rice cooker?

If so, can you tell me how??? I can't find my rice cooker book :mad: I will be glad to be able to put my house back together soon.

Thanks in advance for the assist!

Debie
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Hi Debie,

Good question! I pulled out my rice cooker book but it doesn't have an answer to the lentil question. I'll be keeping my eye on this thread though because I would love to know.

Meg

Yes, you can cook lentils in the rice cooker. Use the regular cycle. One cup of lentils with 2-3 cups of water. The water should be about one inch above the beans. They should take about 30 minutes.

Wow! This is TERRIFIC news! Please tell....anyone doing this? Do you add "stuff" like minced (or fresh onion), garlic, spices, etc. ???

We have fish often, and lentils would be the perfect accompaniment. They just seem like "too much trouble" to bother with during the week, but not if I can put them in my rice cooker!

I used Merly's recommended method. Thanks! I added cumin and sate seasoning along with chopped onion and ended up turning off the cooker after about 25 minutes.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I've never had lentils before. I liked the flavor, I wasn't impressed with the "sloppy" texture. Maybe if I combined the lentils with rice I'd get a better product? I've got a weird texture thing - if I can't chew it, I won't eat it. (keeps me away from a lot of bad for me food at least!)

Debie
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

What kind of lentils did you use?

...and do you think I could do this with my basic rice cooker? (I know you have the fuzzy logic one.)

We LOVE red lentils the best, and I have a great soup recipe that nearly everyone in my family loves. (A rarity to get 100% approval on any soup recipe, but I'll take a majority.) (Confession: I've never made a decent brown lentil soup, but I love Progresso's version!)

A Middle Eastern restaurant near here has an awesome split lentil soup that I've been trying to recreate, and now have a good facsimile. I can share the recipe if you'd like. I have made it in my crock pot, and pressure cooker, and stove top in my big blue LC pot. The red lentils turn yellow, and disintegrate into a tasty, savory soup.

This soup/dal is a lot like one of my favorite Indian dishes, and it is great over rice - perhaps you'd like that combo?

Have you tried other things in your rice cooker besides rice? Have you made soup? Inquiring minds want to know...and want to figure out more uses for my cooker!
    Laurie

Quote Originally Posted by Chefzhat View Post
    I used Merly's recommended method. Thanks! I added cumin and sate seasoning along with chopped onion and ended up turning off the cooker after about 25 minutes.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I've never had lentils before. I liked the flavor, I wasn't impressed with the "sloppy" texture. Maybe if I combined the lentils with rice I'd get a better product? I've got a weird texture thing - if I can't chew it, I won't eat it. (keeps me away from a lot of bad for me food at least!)

Debie
    use French Puy lentils or Umbrian lentils-- they don't break down and get mushy like brown and red and green ones.