Community Message Boards

Thread: Somewhat silly question - can you de-squeak shoes?

Somewhat silly question - can you de-squeak shoes?

I ordered some really cute Keen clogs (inspired by lurking on one of the shoe threads a while ago). Cute cute cute and very comfortable. Unfortunately, they have this terrible squeak, from the heel maybe? I'd seen the squeak mentioned in one or two of the reviews on the zappos site but underestimated how annoying it could be. Coworkers actually requested that I not wear the shoes again, the one time I wore them to work. Since then I only wear them for running errands, being outside, etc. and I'm a little sad because they're so comfy and I'd like to wear them to work.

Can you de-squeak shoes? Does the squeak eventually go away? I've never had squeaky shoes before and I'm not sure what to do. I don't know if it's from the rubber in the sole, if it's a defective shoe, what...

Thanks for any thoughts! I want to wear my cute shoes without causing noise pollution.
    Last edited by ellery; 04-15-2008 at 12:01 PM.
    "With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy."

Leah,

I own those shoes (in black) and they are my favorite shoes - soooo comfortable to wear, and they look cute with so many things. I'm leaning towards a defective shoe since I have never had any issue with squeak with mine. I know you've worn them already, but I would call Zappo's (is that where you bought them?) and find out what their policy is with regard to returning defective shoes after they've been worn. You should be able to exchange them for another pair. If the noise is that annoying that people have actually asked you not to wear them, there's something wrong with them.

Try ArmorAll (or similar product) on the soles of your shoes. (this has worked for me) Don't put too much or you could slip and fall. If this doesn't work, let me know and I have a plan B.

In my experience, shoes never de-squeak! Sometimes, it's just the one shoe, and how it fits on you (someone else may not squeak in your shoe) and other times, it's the way the shoe is made. If you've seen reviews mentioning the squeak, you may be able to get another pair, or some adjustment from Keen...

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbeaux
    Try ArmorAll (or similar product) on the soles of your shoes. (this has worked for me) Don't put too much or you could slip and fall. If this doesn't work, let me know and I have a plan B.
    I wouldn't try this until you hear from wherever you bought them, or Keen -- might void any warranty...
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbeaux View Post
    I can't resist asking about Plan B.

My impression is that the squeak is coming from inside the shoe (versus the random squeaks you can get from walking on a non-carpeted floor), so I'm not sure that the Armorall would work, although I appreciate the suggestion.

Aggie, yes, I think it was one of your shoe threads that inspired my purchase. I did get them at Zappos, so I should call them, but naturally I've thrown away the shoe box and worn them a few times so I was being lazy and looking for an alternative to sending them back. I really researched the feedback on them before plunking down the money for them, and it seems like the squeak was mentioned only in the tan shoes, not the other colors. Very weird. I was hoping that I'd be in the majority who loved them, versus the two or three that mentioned the squeak. Oh well...

I hate to give up on a good shoe.
    "With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy."

Lifehacker sez baby powder. The funny part of my search was finding that there are actually LOTS of sources selling "shoes that squeak at every step!" for toddlers!
    fresh hot random! mad endeavour on vox
    Ask Palpatine: "Just because I'm the Dark Lord of the Sith doesn't mean you can't get to know me."

Quote Originally Posted by CompassRose View Post
    The funny part of my search was finding that there are actually LOTS of sources selling "shoes that squeak at every step!" for toddlers!
    Oh good lord, could you imagine!!!!
    "...having dogs forces us to keep living in places that are right for us. And I think of all the things I might have given up had my dogs not shown me what was important in my life: fresh air, a garden, an eleven-thousand foot mountain in my backyard." - Pam Houston "The Bad Dogs of Park City"

www.peaceiswise.blogspot.com

I bought a pair of Keens last year from zappos. they really squeaked so I sent them back, but I had only walked round the house a few times.

I would call zappos and see if you can return them since you have worn them a bit saying they are defective.

I really dont think you cant desqeak a shoe

Laurie

I am very interested to read this. I have a pair of Steve Madden "rain shoes" they're made of rubber and look like ballet flats but they are rubber. Mine are black with white polka dots and DD has green with white polka dots. I wear them all the time. We've had a ton of rain.

My left shoe squeaks horribly. Since the shoe is all rubber it sounds like a whoopee cushion every time I step. I'm not sure I can lift up the inner sole like in the directions, but it certainly never occurred to me to google the issue!
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

Quote Originally Posted by CompassRose View Post
    The funny part of my search was finding that there are actually LOTS of sources selling "shoes that squeak at every step!" for toddlers!
    My DD has several of those squeak shoes, and I totally thought that's what this post was about We got them in Vietnam for a dollar a pair! (BTW the answer as to how to desqueak toddler shoes is to put a dot of super glue or something on the opening where the air comes out.) Here's DD modeling them when she was just learning to walk:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ig_cSBZHjHQ

(Sorry for the poor quality....taken with my camera.)
    Amy

Om Mani Padme Hum

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful_in_TX View Post
    My DD has several of those squeak shoes, and I totally thought that's what this post was about We got them in Vietnam for a dollar a pair! (BTW the answer as to how to desqueak toddler shoes is to put a dot of super glue or something on the opening where the air comes out.) Here's DD modeling them when she was just learning to walk:

Ohhh ~ your DD is absolutely adorable!
    "If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space."

Quote Originally Posted by Gracie View Post
    Since the shoe is all rubber it sounds like a whoopee cushion every time I step.
    I just about spewed iced tea all over the keyboard!!! Send it my way. My teenage sons would love it.

For those of us who don't want to sound, um, flatulent or squeaky, I don't think there's a way to de-squeak shoes & I agree w/sending them back (phone first). I've never had a squeaky pair of shoes quiet down over time.
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

Well, seeing as it seems to be unaminous that the cute shoes can't be de-squeaked, I called zappos customer service just now, explained the problem, and have some black ones winging my way.

Now Aggie and I can be shoe twins. (And I still need some brown summery shoes that are comparably comfy... any suggestions?)

Thanks for all the advice and giggles (the farty shoe thing is quite funny).

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful_in_TX View Post

Totally adorable!!

Very cute!

I think you did the right thing returning the squeaky keens.

As far as toddler squeaky shoes, they are cute in small doses (i.e. on other people's children ). However, there is a family with 2 or3 yo triplets that take creative movement at DD's dance studio. Every week they come all the way from the very back studio up to the front door, each one proudly wearing her pink squeaking shoe. I'm just a tiny bit tempted to take a drop of Jet Glue to the squeakers on those shoes I don't know how the mother keeps her sanity!
    Claire

It doesn't matter what you think, just that you do.

I thought the flashing lights were crazy enough (and one of my son's did have a pair of those -- the interest faded quickly). I suspect the mom with the three squeakers must have a no shoes policy inside the house. When she goes somewhere she can hear if the kids are with her or wandering off. Probably adds to the idea that mom has eyes in the back of her head. Either that or she must live in deep regret for the weak moment when she bought them.