Community Message Boards

Thread: how long does jam/jelly last in the fridge?

how long does jam/jelly last in the fridge?

and does it matter if it's store bought or homemade/canned?
    just being one person I don't eat it too fast.

thanks

If it's commercially prepared, I'll eat it as long as it hasn't gone moldy or something. I'd probably use the same rule about homemade as long as it was properly canned.
    The Blog is open again!
    http://singlegrrlkitchen.blogspot.com/

"If God had meant for corn bread to have sugar in it, he'd have called it cake." -- Mark Twain

Me too.
    Dh doesn't even check for mold
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Yikes, I keep mine for quite awhile. We tend to buy the big jars when they're on sale & with only two of us in the house, the jelly doesn't get finished quickly!

Oh, and my DH will pick the mold out of the jelly.

My homemade jams and jelly (low sugar) seem to keep about 6 months once opened - they usually don't last that long but occasionally one migrates to a back corner and hides for awhile.
    Anne

I'm an "until I see mold" kinda gal as well. I'm only one and eat most of my jam in the winter when I'm making pb&j sandwiches for skiing.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

good info

Quote Originally Posted by funniegrrl View Post
    If it's commercially prepared, I'll eat it as long as it hasn't gone moldy or something. I'd probably use the same rule about homemade as long as it was properly canned.
    Thank you for the insight! I'm eating some right now that's been open for a long time...if you don't hear from me when you reply it means i'm in the hospital.

My personal rule is 6 months on all condements. I throw everything out in July and January. Being single, it takes forever for food to move. I buy the smallest amounts I can find. I like World Imports because they often have tiny condements that are perfect for me.

My refrigerator just died before Thanksgiving and because it was slowly warming up over a few days until I clued into it, I ended up throwing everything out except for my oils and my vinegars.
    Cookie baker and cake decorator

I have noticed the no-sugar-added preserves seem to mold way faster than the traditional ones. Seriously - DH eats tons of jellies/jams and that's what he prefers but I will find them full of fuzzies WAY before my jar of Welch's grape jelly.

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn1007 View Post
    I'm an "until I see mold" kinda gal as well.
    Me three. When it comes to jam, I can't think why that's not fine.

If anyone wants to know how long to keep an open jar of salsa, I'd say -judging by tonight's observation- about two months less than my last one
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Peweh View Post
    I have noticed the no-sugar-added preserves seem to mold way faster than the traditional ones. Seriously - DH eats tons of jellies/jams and that's what he prefers but I will find them full of fuzzies WAY before my jar of Welch's grape jelly.
    Yup ... that's because it has less sugar! Sugar is a preservative.

BTW, anyone think it odd that a new member resurrected a year-and-a-half old thread just to add a comment, and hasn't commented on anything else? No linky in the post, though, so ... giving the benefit of the doubt. But still think it's a little odd.
    The Blog is open again!
    http://singlegrrlkitchen.blogspot.com/

"If God had meant for corn bread to have sugar in it, he'd have called it cake." -- Mark Twain

No telling what you will find if you use a search engine to find the answer to a question, so it might not be so strange that an old thread pops up (though I do sometimes wonder about some that do). But it has been nearly 24 hours an no new posts!

For the record -- I will keep them until they mold (rarely happens) or they have a change in appearance. I one had a bit of one crystalize and have had one darken on me -- toss those.

Mold on Jelly

Quote Originally Posted by sharsd View Post
    Yikes, I keep mine for quite awhile. We tend to buy the big jars when they're on sale & with only two of us in the house, the jelly doesn't get finished quickly!

Oh, and my DH will pick the mold out of the jelly.
    "you should never eat jelly once it has mold on it. I've watched many an old folk do that, but I took a canning class thru the county and they said that if mold is on the top of the jelly, then long tentacles are probably growing vertically down in the jar in columns. So, don't eat any jelly that has formed mold of any kind on the top surface."

Quote Originally Posted by funniegrrl View Post
    Yup ... that's because it has less sugar! Sugar is a preservative.

BTW, anyone think it odd that a new member resurrected a year-and-a-half old thread just to add a comment, and hasn't commented on anything else?
    Not as strange as digging up the same thread nearly 4 years later......