Community Message Boards

Thread: Mimi's Cafe muffins

Mimi's Cafe muffins

When DH and sons were in AZ a few weeks ago they had breakfast at some place called Mimi's. I googled it and apparently it's a chain....I'd never heard of it before.

Anyway, my one son has gone on and on about the blueberry muffins he got there. I tried looking for a copycat recipe online with not much luck. I found a few recipes on the Mimi's Cafe website, but only the Buttermilk Spice muffins are listed.

So does anybody know what muffins he's talking about? Do you think I could just follow the buttermilk recipe and delete the spices and add bluberries and get a similar result?

We enjoyed breakfast at Mimi's when we were in AZ, too. And I just learned that they are a part of Bob Evans when I visited Bob Evans #1 in Rio Grande, OH

As I recall, they were just light-textured, huge, full-fat blueberry muffins. Maybe just try a full-fat recipe? In other words, nothing distinctively different. Did your son give a good description, or just say they were good?

We used to live in AZ so I know the restaurant. The last time we were there our oldest son ordered 3 of each of their muffins and we took them home to do a taste test. I don't want to come off as negative here but I am not impressed with them. They are huge but rather dry, full of fat and sugar and not a whole lot of flavor. I will post some below that are much better. The spice muffins that they have posted on their website are actually not as flavorful as some of the others that they serve.

Cranberry, Orange, and Oatmeal Muffins

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Muffins

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
    3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup oatmeal -- (do not use instant or quick oatmeal)
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup splenda
    Rind from one orange -- finely grated
    1 cup cranberries -- (fresh or frozen work equally well)
    2 Tablespoons orange juice
    1/4 cup butter -- (1/2 stick)
    1 cup buttermilk, nonfat
    1 egg

Heat oven to 425 degrees. Butter muffin cups. In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients (except for 1/4 cup oatmeal and 1/4 cup brown sugar, which are placed in a small bowl, mixed together, and reserved for topping). Blend dry ingredients well. Mix in grated orange rind.

Place cranberries in another small bowl, sprinkle 1 Tablespoon orange juice over them, and toss to coat. Then add 1 Tablespoon dry ingredients and toss again. Set aside. Melt butter. Remove from heat and when cool, stir in milk and egg. Stir butter mixture into dry ingredients until blended. When mixed, gently stir in cranberries.

Fill muffin cups to desired height -- anywhere from half full to full, depending on size of muffin desired. Lightly drizzle the remaining 1 Tablespoon of orange juice over them. Then, sprinkle oatmeal and sugar mixture topping onto each muffin.

Bake 15 to 25 minutes (baking time will vary depending upon size of muffin desired) until lightly brown and toothpick inserted into center comes out dry. Let muffins stand in baking tin for 5 minutes before removing. Serve piping hot from the oven.

These muffins can be made ahead and reheat beautifully in a low oven, around 200 degrees.

Source:
    "Beckwood Pond Inn Putney, Vermont"
    S(Internet Address):
    "http://www.virtualcities.com/ons/vt/p/vtp82016.htm"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 144 Calories; 5g Fat (30.0% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 21g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 28mg Cholesterol; 342mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Made these 11/21/2007 for Thanksgiving morning breakfast. Like them very much. Will repeat.

Honey Bran Muffins (Close to Mimi's Cafe) - Revised

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 30 Preparation Time :0:00

2/3 cup dates -- chop and then measure (or pineapple in juice)
    2/3 cup raisins -- in food processor with other liquid ingred.
    1/2 cup honey
    1/3 cup vegetable oil
    3 large eggs
    2 cups buttermilk
    1 cup wheat bran
    1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour -- soft
    1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    2/3 cup raisins -- plump by soaking and draining, leave whole

Preheat oven to 375.

GLAZE. (See recipe in notes)

Cream butter with sugars until light and fluffy.

Beat in honey and water.

Using a brush, coat bottom and sides of muffin tins.

MUFFINS.

Mix fruit, honey, oil, eggs, & buttermilk until smooth.

Sift flour, baking soda and salt together. Add bran and whisk all together.

Add wet mixture to dry mixture and beat until just combined. Add raisins that have been plumped and drained.

Line tins with paper and spray with veg spray. Fill tins 3/4 full.

Bake for 20 - 25 minutes until springy to the touch.

Cool for 2 minutes then invert on rack to cool completely.

Description:
    "This one is the closest I have found to the muffins at Mimi's restaurant and they ARE yummy.You brush the tins with the glaze (before the batter)."
    Source:
    "http://www.recipezaar.com/174723"
    S(Internet Address):
    "http://www.recipezaar.com/174723"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 130 Calories; 3g Fat (21.8% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 24g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 22mg Cholesterol; 237mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Ann- 9/1/07 - Made these. Left off glaze. Too sweet but liked them very much overall. Texture very good.
    Next time: Might try some cinnamon but good without it.

GlazeI don't use this but it came with the original recipe)
    1/2 cup butter
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
    5 T honey
    3 T boiling water

Blueberry-Lemon Muffins

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00

1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
    1/2 cup self-rising yellow cornmeal
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1 cup blueberries
    1 cup low-fat buttermilk
    1/2 cup yogurt, nonfat light -- vanilla
    3 tablespoons butter -- melted
    1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
    1 tablespoon grated lemon rind -- (I used rind of one lemon could use orange rind)
    1 large egg -- lightly beaten
    Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 400°.

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (flour through soda) in a medium bowl. Stir in blueberries; make a well in center of mixture. Combine buttermilk,yogurt, butter, nutmeg, rind, and egg; stir well with a whisk. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moist.

Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove muffins from pans immediately; place on a wire rack.

Yield: 15 (serving size: 1 muffin)

S(Internet Address):
    ""

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 142 Calories; 4g Fat (23.3% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 24g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 26mg Cholesterol; 373mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Made and enjoyed for the first time 8/14/2006. Will make again. Cornmeal provides a nice crunch to finished product.

Pumpkin Apple Muffins

I haven’t found anyone that doesn’t love these. Hope you like them too!

Ingredients:
    Mix together dry ingredients and set aside
    1-1/2 C Flour – all purpose
    1/2 C Whole wheat flour
    1/2 C Wheat bran
    3/4 C Each white and brown sugar or(1/2 C each brown and white sugar + 1/2 C Splenda)
    1 t Each baking soda, cinnamon, and ginger
    1/2 t Each salt, cloves, and nutmeg
    Mix together the following
    2 Eggs (or 1/2 C egg replacement)
    1/2 C Oil (I use pureed unsweetened apple sauce instead of the oil)
    1 C Pumpkin puree – unseasoned
    Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and add:
    2 C Shredded apple (I use about 3 Granny Smith apples)
    Streusel:
    3 T Flour
    1/4 C Sugar
    1/2 t Cinnamon
    2 T Butter
    I use muffin papers in my metal muffin pan that have been sprayed with a release agent such as Pam. If using the streusel use about 1-1/2 t per muffin (these are so good that I don’t usually bother with the streusel) Bake 350° for 35 minutes. Makes about 15 muffins.

Emailed my two sisters in AZ and have heard back from one: She has seen but never tasted, says look big and yummy. Not much help, but maybe the other sister will come through Linda~

Quote Originally Posted by erin elizabeth View Post
    We enjoyed breakfast at Mimi's when we were in AZ, too. And I just learned that they are a part of Bob Evans when I visited Bob Evans #1 in Rio Grande, OH

Did your son give a good description, or just say they were good?
    I've never heard of Bob Evans either.
    He said they didn't seem as dense as Costco's muffins....like maybe more fluffy? He's pretty skinny so he doesn't need to worry too much about full fat/calories (like his mom should ).

It's strange that the website says the blueberry kind are low-fat

ncredbird, thank for posting the other recipes

and Linda, thanks for asking!

I do have a blueberry muffin recipe I make every once in a blue moon. I'm not much of a muffin-maker. And my recipe is nothing to fuss over.

I love these from Eating Well. I sometimes use the oatmeal instead of flax and also sub 1/3 cup honey for maple syrup. What may have made them so great to your son was they were probably hot out of the oven and real soft from all white flour.

I did a quick Google search for rich blueberry muffins and a bunch of recipes came up, including one from CI--I've never had a bad CI recipe. I bet one of those would work for you.

Bob Evans is a restaurant chain here in the midwest that is known for their sausage. Mimi's is nothing like it!