Community Message Boards

Thread: Being tested for Word & Excel, what to expect???

Being tested for Word & Excel, what to expect???

On Monday I will be tested in Word & Excel 2003 for a job.

I had never had tests before.

What should I expect?

I want to be ready for Monday morning.

Thanks
    Helene

''In cooking, as in all the arts, simplicity is the sign of perfection.''
    -Curnonsky

My Blog: La Cuisine d'Helene

Twitter: @lacuisinehelene

It's been a while since I had that ...
    If you are familiar with the programs and the function keys, you should be OK.
    It pretty much (or mine was) is a self-checking test that asks you to do utilize various functions of the software.
    Not much help...maybe someone more current will chime in.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Thanks, I'm so nervous and don't know what to expect.

Wish me luck...
    Helene

-Curnonsky

Quote Originally Posted by helene View Post
    Thanks, I'm so nervous and don't know what to expect.

Wish me luck...
    As DH would say, "It's all locked away in Monday, and you can't get there any sooner!" And, good luck! If you know anything about working the programs, you'll do fine! Maybe you could go through some of the tutorials in the meantime...
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Quote Originally Posted by helene View Post
    On Monday I will be tested in Word & Excel 2003 for a job.
    Helene,

I am going to be tested too on Monday for a job, but at 1:00 PM...I am nervous too because I really want this job!

I have been working for a temp agency and had to take a test for them. It really wasn't that hard but then I figured it didn't matter, they would still find work for me regardless of how I did...

Good luck to you. If you use Word and Excel now I am guessing you will be fine!
    EmptyNestMom
    Grandma Pam to 3

"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." – Julia Child

It would be somewhat specific to the job functions. If you want to bone up, then think about what the tasks are that require Word and/or Excel and make sure you can do those.

Word can be either easy or esoteric depending on whether you are using it as a "simple" word processor or as a form of desk top publishing with footnotes and whatever.

Excel is I think much more job specific. I use Excel but as a way of making lists with various data fields and to track things (for example) so I am a very basic user. I don't use it for Accounting spreadsheet purposes.
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

I had to take both Word and Excel tests last year.
    The thing to keep in mind is that it's not a matter of passing or failing: the tests gauge your level of proficiency. I think I still have the printouts at home, so I'll take look later and see what's on them, but they were not stressful tests, and I consider myself an Excel idiot. I think they have three primary levels and then rank you within them. So even though I consider myself an Excel "idiot" I was ranked within my general level, not compared against someone who develops sophisticated spreadsheets for part of her job. If that makes any sense.

BTW, if they ask you if you want the printouts, take them: I brought mine to another agency and didn't have to take any of the tests again (spelling, grammar, etc.).
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

You can find free online MS Office tutorials at the following link which may be helpful if you want to hone in on something specific....hope this helps.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...262291033.aspx

She said that they are general tests to see what level of Word and Excel I have.

There is also a typing test.

This job is to work as substitute administrative assistants in district schools and offices.

Qualifications, Training and Experience:
    • Grade 12 education supplemented by completion of a college secretarial program; or
    qualifications deemed equivalent.
    • Minimum of two years of current secretarial experience.
    • Proficient in Microsoft WORD, EXCEL, and relevant Microsoft Office Suite programs.
    • Experience in the use of relevant office equipment.
    • Minimum typing speed of 55 w.p.m.
    • Meets the physical requirements of the position.
    • Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
    • Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
    Experience with student records, data entry, reception, and electronic purchase orders, and/or
    bookkeeping is an asset.
    Job Duties:
    1. Duties are performed under the supervision of the school administrator, or designate.
    2. Prepares a variety of correspondence, reports, and other necessary material using appropriate
    word processing equipment.
    3. Assists with preparation and maintenance of student records.
    4. Prepares daily student attendance records from information provided by staff.
    5. Operates intercom and public address system to receive calls and make announcements.
    6. Performs telephone and personal reception duties.
    7. Processes incoming and outgoing mail and other material.
    8. Receives and receipts incoming cash for various school funds.
    9. Assists with other office duties as directed by the principal or senior clerical staff.
    10. Follows proper work procedures, observes all regulations pertinent to the work, maintains a
    good working relationship with other employees, and cooperates in attaining an environment
    free from accident and disease.
    11. Performs such other related duties as may be assigned.
    Helene

-Curnonsky

I think if you know Word, it should be fine as they are just looking for basic correspondence -- probably lists, reports, tables, setting up a letter and memo etc.

I think EXCEL would also be the basic functions of creating and adding a data list -- probably pupil records and other things. I can't imagine they are testing for the ability to manipulate "spreadsheets" to forecast profits.

I would imagine if you can function in these programs, it will be fine.
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

Hi Hιlθne, I found my test results for Excel and PowerPoint - no Word.
    I'm looking at the Excel 2003 results and there were 35 tasks in the test, increasing in level of proficiency.
    Results were given in three levels: Beginning (I got 87%, or 13/15 tasks); Intermediate level, where I fell to 54% (7/13 tasks); and Advanced, with a paltry 2/7 or 29%.

It looks like there were lots of tasks involving formatting, setting print areas, inserting items and protecting cells and such. Those were all beginning and intermediate level. I can't even make out what the tasks were for most of the advanced ones - but I would be extremely surprised if an admin-type function would require much more than formatting and creating pretty basic spreadsheets.

I really wouldn't worry about it: as I said in my previous post, I would look at more as an assessment of level of proficiency, not like like it's a question of pass or fail.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Thanks for all the replies. I will sit down Sunday and spend the day revising Word & Excel. Hopefully I'll do well on Monday.
    Helene

-Curnonsky

Finally did the tests.

Typing test 60 words/minute

Word: 91% (it was a test from basic to advance)

Excel: I don't remember exactly but it was around 80% (again basic to advance)

Was not as bad as I thought. I was really nervous.

Hopefully they'll call me for an interview.

I'm crossing my fingers.
    Helene

-Curnonsky

Helene! Congratulations on completing the tests. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
    EmptyNestMom
    Grandma Pam to 3

"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." – Julia Child

Thanks, they called me last night saying that I passed the tests and that I will be interviewed tomorrow morning. Now I have to get prepare. Did not have interviews in years.
    Helene

-Curnonsky

Good luck today with your interview!
    Margaret

Thanks, I think it went well.

I struggled with couple questions but feel confident.
    Helene

-Curnonsky

All of you Experts, I have a quick question.

I was tested in Word and Excel and meet their requirements so I went for the interview.

One of the questions, that caught me by surprise, was:
    ''What is the most complex document that you had made using Word or Excel?

Since I had been tested in Word and Excel and pass I looked at them with a big question mark in my face because I thought: why do they ask me this question since they tested me and I pass.

So I struggled and gave them an answer like: I made a letterhead with the logo, I also included charts and org. charts.

Afterward in the car I was thinking that this was such a stupid answer. But at the moment I could not come up with something better since I was so surprised by the question.

What would you have said? And what do you think they were looking for?
    Helene

-Curnonsky

Helene,

I think your answer about charts was a good one. Especially if they were imbedded into a document.

I think you gave a great answer, especially for the job you applied for. For me (and my type of job), I probably would have focused on Excel and would have tried to use as much of the terminology applicable to the task I performed to show that I am able to use a wide variety of functions within the program and create efficiencies in my work. For example, I might describe a specific workbook that I created with multiple worksheets, linking between worksheets and other workbooks, complex formulas (such as lookup or if functions), pivot tables, etc.
    "Auntie, you are a good cooker." ~ My nephew, age 5

Thanks, I thought I could have come up with a better answer but was so surprised by the question. Last night I had dinner with friends and they were also surprised since I had been tested in Word and Excel.
    Helene

-Curnonsky

I hope you get the job! Not sure why you were surprised though...if your test scores showed that you had some knowledge of Excel and/or Word, they probably wanted to know what you felt was your masterpiece in the Excel world outside of what you did in the test.