Community Message Boards

Thread: My garlic sprouted... can I plant it??

My garlic sprouted... can I plant it??

Ok... I'm editing to try to correct my typo, but I can't change the title. I meant "Plant" ! That's what I get for typing while on the phone....

My son was helping me peel garlic about a month ago and he went a little nuts and peeled too much. I had 3 cloves that I put in a plastic bag and it got lost in the back of the fridge. When I found it today the cloves have sprouted and rooted... I can plant these, right? I've never grown garlic before, but I think I'll give it a try.

K
    Last edited by KimKelly; 05-05-2008 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Typo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KimKelly View Post
    Ok... I'm editing to try to correct my typo, but I can't change the title. I meant "Plant" ! That's what I get for typing while on the phone....
    Fixed it for ya.

Sorry to rain on your parade, and you certainly can try, but it might not give you the best result. I would be interested in hearing about it if you choose to do it. Garlic is normally planted in the fall (Columbus Day) and overwinters and is then harvested in late June, early July--well, at least here in OH. Really mulch it and see what happens. It is ready to harvest when one or two of the leaf sprout things (yes, technical term ) dies off and turns brown.

Quote Originally Posted by lindrusso View Post
    Fixed it for ya.
    Thank you! I just got the notification and read "Plant"... my first thought was "Oh! I edited it and really didn't make a mistake!" Then I read your note. You're the best!!!

K

Quote Originally Posted by erin elizabeth View Post
    Sorry to rain on your parade, and you certainly can try, but it might not give you the best result. I would be interested in hearing about it if you choose to do it. Garlic is normally planted in the fall (Columbus Day) and overwinters and is then harvested in late June, early July--well, at least here in OH. Really mulch it and see what happens. It is ready to harvest when one or two of the leaf sprout things (yes, technical term ) dies off and turns brown.
    Thanks Erin... I was wondering about that. I had heard it was more of a winter crop. I think I will stick it in the ground and see what happens. I know it was pretty darn happy in the back of my fridge...!

Plant 'em!

If you plant them they will come, Kim. Mind you, they will likely end up as giant bulbs (a single clove, giant compared to your regular cloves, and still usable), but you may get lucky and they may give you cloves. I've done it myself, and was inspired to grow my own afterwards; now I plant about 50 cloves in the fall (I have just 2 bulbs left from last summer's harvest so I'll be buying some soon). I plant the cloves about 4" to 5" below the surface of the soil (root end down, of course). Harvest them when about half the leaves have died; dig them up, wipe the dirt off and put them in a garage or shed (a darkened airy place) for 2 weeks to dry, them trim tops and roots off (or just use them up fresh, if you don't want to save them for later use). You'll have the juiciest garlic! Yum!
    Cheers! Andy

Thank you! I just got the notification and read "Plant"... my first thought was "Oh! I edited it and really didn't make a mistake!" Then I read your note. You're the best!!!

K
    No problem. Interesting - I didn't realize you got notification when I edited it. Does that mean I can't come in and edit threads just to mess with people's heads???

Actually I think it was Erin's notification... so you are safe!!

Actually I think it was Erin's notification... so you are safe!!
    Oh! Duh.

Hmmmmmmmmmm.......

Given that you're in San Diego Kim, I'd think you'd be fine to plant it now and have quite successful results. Here in west central FL we can plant it anytime and it's fine.
    Good luck!
    Lynne

To err is human, to forgive, canine.
    -- Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by golden1225 View Post
    Given that you're in San Diego Kim, I'd think you'd be fine to plant it now and have quite successful results. Here in west central FL we can plant it anytime and it's fine.
    Good luck!
    Except she also said they were peeled and sat in the refrigerator. It's usually recommended not to peel the garlic in advance because the root end dries out that way and the cloves can't produce roots.

Garlic needs more than a sprout to take, the root system is important, which is why they're planted in the fall, to give them plenty of time to establish a good root system.

Bob

I tried a few cloves two years ago. I harvested them last year and did so too early, it had produced about 4-5 cloves/plant and it was juicy but a bit too mild.

However, this year, another clove that mustn't have done anything last year has sprouted through. It's in what is now a flower bed so I'll leave it as long as I can without the wife killing it. Hopefully it will flower before then and it should be usable after that.
    Has anyone seen reality? I'm sure it was there a minute ago