Community Message Boards

Thread: Sub For Yogurt in Baking?

Sub For Yogurt in Baking?

A number of times I'll go to make some muffins or a quick bread that calls for yogurt only to realize I'm out of yogurt. (Today it was the marbled-chocolate banana bread.) Can I sub buttermilk? Better yet, can I sub a buttermilk sub (milk and lemon juice)? I don't have any sour cream either.

That brings me to another question. I've read 1 cup milk and 1 tablespoon lemon juice can be used in place of 1 cup buttermilk. My question is -- do you have to remove 1 tablespoon from that milk/lemon juice mixture b/c otherwise you would be adding an extra tablespoon of liquid to the recipe.

Back to my original question -- if the recipe calls for vanilla yogurt and it's okay to sub buttermilk, should I add some extra vanilla extract and if so, how much?

Thanks for your help!

I'm not sure about the buttermilk sub, but I can tell you that I've successfully subbed sour cream for yogurt in the marbled banana bread recipe... in fact, it's on my list of things to make today!
    Sue

I'm here with my best friend... my fork!! ~ Paula Deen

If you always keep your head up, you'll never find that lucky penny on the sidewalk.

This poster has been reported several times.

Quote Originally Posted by hmarshak View Post
    You can definitely use sour cream in place of yogurt in baking. Check out our list of emergency substitutions here: Emergency Substitutions.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADM View Post
    This poster has been reported several times.
    I'm guessing this is the poster that has been reported & not the original poster on this thread???
    Sue

I'm here with my best friend... my fork!! ~ Paula Deen

If you always keep your head up, you'll never find that lucky penny on the sidewalk.

Quote Originally Posted by ebseckar View Post
    That brings me to another question. I've read 1 cup milk and 1 tablespoon lemon juice can be used in place of 1 cup buttermilk. My question is -- do you have to remove 1 tablespoon from that milk/lemon juice mixture b/c otherwise you would be adding an extra tablespoon of liquid to the recipe.
    The traditional way to do this is to put the tablespoon of lemon juice (or whatever) in the measuring cup first, then add the milk, so the total amount is the same.

Bob

Suebear37 -- I figured sour cream would work, but I don't always have sour cream on hand. I usually have milk and lemons and that's why I was hoping I could make "buttermilk" and use that instead. I was concerned about the consistency. Sour cream is thick like yogurt, but buttermilk is not as thick.

Bob -- Thanks for confirming that for me. It makes sense, but many times I've read about this substitution, it talks about mixing 1 tablespoon of lemon juice with 1 cup of milk as opposed to the way you described it. Thank you.

I freeze both yogurt and sour cream and thaw it out for baking. That way I usually have it on hand, but don't have to worry about it spoiling in the fridge.

Also, I agree that I usually put my milk in a measuring cup and add a bit of lemon juice to "curdle" it, so I am adding the same amount that the recipe calls for. However, I doubt that either way would make a huge difference in most recipes!

Jessica

If you want to sub the lemon juice/milk combo for yogurt, I would try adding about 2/3 of the amount called for since it is a much thinner liquid. For instance, if it calls for 1 cup of yogurt, start with 2/3 cup of the lemon/juice milk combo. Then add a little more if it seems too thick until you get the right consistency. (You may even want to start with HALF the amount, just so you don't overshoot....you can always add more).
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

I use nf sour cream and nf plain yogurt interchangeably in baking. If the recipe calls for vanilla yogurt, I would think you could use nf sour cream and some additional vanilla extract.