Community Message Boards

Thread: 10.5 oz can of chicken broth???

10.5 oz can of chicken broth???

I'm in the middle of preparing tonight's dinner, a Lentil Casserole that I thought I found on this board, but can't seem to locate the original thread! It calls for 3/4 cup brown rice, 3/4 cup lentils, 3/4 cup shredded cheddar, a chopped onion, spices, etc. (I added 3/4 cup chopped carrots and 3/4 cup chopped celery to the mixture). Last ingredient: (2) 10.5oz cans chicken broth.

All of my cans are 14oz, which is about 1-3/4 cup. I figured two cans of broth would be about 3-1/2 cups so I opened my 32 oz box of organic broth, only to read a little closer to see 10.5oz cans.

Should I trust the 2 'regular' can thing and use over 3 cups of broth? Or stick with the recipe's true ounce measurements? 10.5 oz is closer to 1-1/4 cup I believe, and I don't want sludgy casserole! It's supposed to go into the oven in about 10 minutes.
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

I'd stick to the recipe's measurements. I've been seeing recipes calling for 10.5 ounce cans of broth, but I've never seen a 10.5-ounce can of broth.

If you have a glass 4 cup liquid measuring cup or an Oxo liquid measuring cup, it probably has markings for measuring ounces on it. My Anchor 4 cup glass measuring cup does and so does my Oxo 2 cup measuring cup.
    my personal chef service: Anastasia's Table Personal Chef Service

Thanks Patti! I used about 3 cups of broth since I'd added 1-1/2 cups of chopped veggies. I went onto AllRecipes and looked at a few lentil/rice casseroles with similar lentil/rice measurements, and the ones that called for less than 3 cups of liquid were proclaimed dry, and reviews said that they had to add more liquid during the cooking time to sufficiently cook the grains. I took a chance on 3 cups instead of 3-1/2. We'll see how it turns out!

Quote Originally Posted by PattiA View Post
    I'd stick to the recipe's measurements. I've been seeing recipes calling for 10.5 ounce cans of broth, but I've never seen a 10.5-ounce can of broth.

Campbell's red label soup comes in 10.5 and it does have a chicken broth, it's concentrated though and I would imagine it would make the dish extremely salty!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Well, finished product was wonderful! I started out with about 3 cups of broth and ended up adding about a half cup after the first hour to make sure the brown basmati and the lentils had enough to finish cooking in the oven, so two 'regular' cans would have been just right.

I honestly can't remember where I got this recipe, it might have been someone's blog, but just in case....I added carrots and celery and doubled spices, as well as stirred my cheese in right before serving as opposed to before cooking, but we WILL make this again! My ingredient additions are in red.

Lentil Casserole

1 cup chopped onion
    3/4 cup chopped celery
    3/4 cup chopped carrot

3/4 cup dried lentils
    3/4 cup uncooked brown rice
    3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    1/2 tsp dried thyme (I used 1 tsp)
    1/2 tsp dried basil (I used 1 tsp)
    1/2 tsp dried oregano (I used 1 tsp)
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp cayenne
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/8 tsp sage (I used 1/4 tsp)
    1/4 cup water (I omitted, used more broth)
    2 10.5oz cans low sodium chicken broth (I used two 14oz cans/3-1/2 cups)

Spray 2 qt casserole dish with cooking spray. Mix ingredients well. Cover, bake at 350* for 1-1/2 hours or until lentils are tender.

The only thing I did differently was stirred the 3/4 cup cheese in at the end, and then I cheated and sprinkled more on top and put it on broil for a few minutes. Totally yummy one dish comfort food with no meat! It would be a good vegetarian dish with veggie broth too, I'm going to do that next!