Community Message Boards

Thread: "xxxx" sugar question

"xxxx" sugar question

Anyone know what this is? Is it a type of powdered sugar? I'm putting together a collection of cookie recipes for a friend who's moving next week. Several co-workers have emailed me great recipes but this term confused me. The owner of the recipe doesn't bake much and can't remember what it is. Does anyone know? Here's the recipe:

Chocolate Layer Bars

cup butter
    2 squares unsweetened chocolate
    1 c. sugar
    2 eggs, beaten
    tsp. vanilla
    c. flour
    c. nuts (chopped)
    Dash salt

Melt chocolate and butter together over hot water. Gradually add sugar to beaten eggs. Stir in salt, vanilla and chocolate mixture. Fold in flour and nuts. Pour into 9 x 9 pan. 350 oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Cool in pan.

Second Layer:
    Cream cup butter until light and fluffy. Mix 3 tablespoons milk and 2 tablespoons packaged vanilla pudding mix. Add to butter and mix well. Add 2 cups xxxx sugar gradually and mix until smooth. Spread over 1st layer. Refrigerate until firm, about 15 minutes.

Third Layer:
    Melt 1 bar German sweet chocolate with 1 tablespoon butter and spread over second layer and chill again.

Thanks!
    Beth

I think that was a common reference to powdered sugar.
    Here is some info from www.joyofbaking.com.

Confectioners, powdered or icing sugar is granulated sugar that has been ground to a powder with cornstarch added to prevent lumping and crystallization. It comes in 4X, 6X and 10X but 10X is the one generally found in stores. 10X means that the granulated sugar has been processed ten times. Confectioners sugar is used in meringues, icings, confections, and some sweet pastry.

It's very sexy sugar.
    No, Hammster's right, it's powdered sugar, when I was a kid it always used to have the X's on the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilgamesh37 View Post
    It's very sexy sugar.
    No, Hammster's right, it's powdered sugar, when I was a kid it always used to have the X's on the box.
    That's why I was afraid to google it! I'm at work and didn't want the filter to go crazy.

Thanks to both of you for the quick replies! I knew I could count on the BB.
    Beth