Community Message Boards

Thread: Frosting and Salmonella question

Frosting and Salmonella question

I made a buttercream frosting out of the Bouchon cookbook. In it you heat sugar and water to 248 degrees and then pour it in a stream into 4 eggs (while beating the whole mixture). You then beat in the butter. The frosting is sitting in the refrigerator waiting for my daughter's birthday party tomorrow. I just realized that I should have used a recipe that cooks the eggs, or that doesn't have eggs. Do I need to throw the whole batch out and start over? I did taste it more than a few times while making it on Monday, and I am fine. I would just start over, but I have already colored the frosting and I may not have enough coloring leftover for a new batch. I don't really want a pink Elmo!

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Betsy

Oh Betsy! I've done exactly the same thing! I made a Chocolate Mousse and while the egg yolks are "partially cooked" like you eggs, the egg whites are just whipped and folded in. I realized after I had made it that there were kids coming, so I did the same taste test the day before!! I was fine, I did serve it and everyone was fine.

That being said, I don't have a definitive answer to your question. I think that since you heated with the eggs with the hot sugar water (really 248?) that they were probably heated enough to not be a problem... I know there is a degree and someone will probably know that and post it, but I just don't know what it is.

I would probably use what you have! Good luck to you.... let us know how it all turns out!

Kim

According to my ServSafe book, the minimum temperature for eggs that are to be held for later service is 155 degrees F. If the eggs were stirred into a 248 degree F sugar-water mixture, you should be safe. I also found this article that said if the egg mixture reaches 160 degrees F, you should be safe.
    my personal chef service: Anastasia's Table Personal Chef Service

Thank you PattiA and Kim, you made me feel better! I did go ahead and use the frosting I had made, and so far so good. The red was really red, so it was clearly Elmo!

I'm so glad it worked!!!