Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO favorite CL black bean/corn salad

ISO favorite CL black bean/corn salad

Due to my extremely poor recipe organization, I have misplaced my favorite CL black bean and corn salad. I can't seem to find it on the Web site or BB either. I cut it out of the magazine, but I don't know the date, probably at least 5+ years ago. I think it was a reader recipe. The dressing was cooked on the stove, and included balsamic and cider vinegars and brown sugar. The rest was pretty basic BB/corn salad stuff.

Anyone have this in their files? I know there are a million recipes out there, but I really love this one. Thanks!

Is this it? I've made this a few times and really enjoy it. It's funny how many black bean salads I have on my computer.

Black Bean and Corn Salad Cl

Recipe By :Cooking Light Magazine. November 2000. Page: 152.
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Beans Salads & Dressings

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 cup fresh or frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed
    1 cup chopped red bell pepper
    3/4 cup chopped onion
    1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
    1 can (15-ounce) black beans, rinsed and drained

Directions.
    "This dish is refreshing, crisp, and slightly sweet. It's great as a salad anytime or at parties as an appetizer served with tortilla chips. As simple as it is, this recipe gets the most ardent compliments, even if it accompanies an entree whose production was much more time-consuming." --Deborah Shore, Scotch Plains, N.J.

1. Bring first 7 ingredients to a boil in a small saucepan. Reduce heat, and simmer 2 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Combine vinegar mixture, corn, and the remaining ingredients in a large bowl; cover and chill. Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup).

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
    CALORIES 82 (5% from fat); FAT 0.5g (sat 0.1g, mono 0.1g, poly 0.2g); PROTEIN 3.9g; CARB 17.3g; FIBER 2.6g; CHOL 0mg; IRON 1.4mg; SODIUM 164mg; CALC 22mg

Hooray! That's it. Gosh, I can't believe it's from 2000. Thanks for the quick response, applecrisp. I agree -- I have a million of these, but I really like this one.

I'm glad I could help. I haven't made it in awhile so thanks for the reminder. I think I will make some tomorrow. I'm trying to stick with WW Core, and its all Core except for the sugar. I like the sweet/sour taste to it.

Enjoy!

I just made this salad and it was great. DH enjoyed it and he is not a bean lover in general. Very quick to put together with staples that everyone probably has on hand.

Thanks for the post!

Jodi

I am glad that you requested this recipe as well. We love black bean salads but I don't recall seeing this one before. I think I will put it on the menu plans for next week.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. - Anonymous