Community Message Boards

Thread: colonoscopy

Hybrid View

colonoscopy

Our GP gave us both prescriptions to have this procedure done and I've been putting off scheduling it. So I finally made the call yesterday and they told me I couldn't schedule it, that only a gastroenterologist could. So now I have to make us both appointments with another doctor before we can get this done. I'm bummed because I was ready to get it done and now a new delay, not to mention additional cost, since we only have catastrophic insurance.

Does anyone know why it's so relevant to see a gastroenterologist first? Will he do anything more than have us fill out a ton of paperwork and then ask a few questions before setting up the appointments for the procedure?

How odd (and annoying!). DH just had one done, our PCP gave him the prescription during his physical. They gave him the info on the center where he had to have it done, we scheduled it, no problem. I'd definitely give your doctor's office a call and ask them to call the center to find out just what's going on.
    "There are times when we're dirt broke, hungry, and freezing, and I ask myself, why the hell am I still living here? And then they call. And I remember." ~Mark, Rent

Quote Originally Posted by LA98 View Post
    How odd (and annoying!). DH just had one done, our PCP gave him the prescription during his physical. They gave him the info on the center where he had to have it done, we scheduled it, no problem. I'd definitely give your doctor's office a call and ask them to call the center to find out just what's going on.
    Actually I did that yesterday and they didn't believe me and told me to call Outpatient Scheduling again. So I did and they told me the same thing. I called my doctor's office again and they called me back this morning and confirmed that they could not schedule it--only a gastro can so they gave me a referral. That seems weird. Their unfortunate and scary explanation for the reasoning was that it's a somewhat risky procedure. Yes you're right... annoying it is!

When I had my first one, I had to go to the gastro's office to have a meet & greet with the PA, who gave me the lowdown on the procedure & scheduled it at that time.
    I didn't meet the doctor until the day of the procedure.

Maybe this is what they're telling you that you have to do?
    Sue

I'm here with my best friend... my fork!! ~ Paula Deen

If you always keep your head up, you'll never find that lucky penny on the sidewalk.

Quote Originally Posted by suebear37 View Post
    When I had my first one, I had to go to the gastro's office to have a meet & greet with the PA, who gave me the lowdown on the procedure & scheduled it at that time.
    I didn't meet the doctor until the day of the procedure.

Maybe this is what they're telling you that you have to do?
    So maybe the hospital provides the facilities, but the local gastro's do the procedures? That would explain why it can only be scheduled by a gastro. Well that makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JulieM View Post
    So maybe the hospital provides the facilities, but the local gastro's do the procedures? That would explain why it can only be scheduled by a gastro. Well that makes more sense.
    Yeah, a gastro has to do the procedure so if they aren't set up as a center focused on gastroenterology I would think you'd need to have an appointment with a gastro first. When I had one 5 years ago (on my 26th birthday :mad I had to see a gastro first who then did the procedure at the hospital.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by JulieM View Post
    I didn't have mine in the hospital. The gastro practice that I go to has their own little outpatient surgery office. That was much easier than having to deal with the hospital.
    Sue

I'm here with my best friend... my fork!! ~ Paula Deen

If you always keep your head up, you'll never find that lucky penny on the sidewalk.

I didn't have mine in the hospital. The gastro practice that I go to has their own little outpatient surgery office. That was much easier than having to deal with the hospital.
    That's a good tip!

That would have been nice! I had to go to the hospital for mine, which was sort of a hassle. My gastro recommended I have a colonoscopy, and she did it herself so I'm not sure how it would work if your GP wanted you to have the procedure. Hopefully you get it all resolved soon so you can commence with stressing about actually having it done. (That's what I did anyway. )

Kari

Jeff just had one done today and we also went to an outpatient office. He was in at 2:45 and we left before 4! We went to our PCP who set everything up and got us the prescription junk (well, that is what Jeff is referring to it after drinking it). We didn't have to see the Gastro doc until the scoping began.
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

Are you sure you have to see the gasteroenterologist? Or is that just the policy of the particular office you called? DH and I both have had one, and we only needed a referral from our GP to schedule it ourselves. You might check back with your GP's office to see if it is standard procedure to have an office visit with the GI person before the colonoscopy. Maybe if the GP's office calls the GI, they can schedule it for you?
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy B View Post
    Are you sure you have to see the gasteroenterologist? Or is that just the policy of the particular office you called? DH and I both have had one, and we only needed a referral from our GP to schedule it ourselves. You might check back with your GP's office to see if it is standard procedure to have an office visit with the GI person before the colonoscopy. Maybe if the GP's office calls the GI, they can schedule it for you?
    Well it's interesting that it's not a universal situation but apparently specific to this hospital. Unfortunately I'd rather not do it at the other hospital it my area.

If your GP prescribed it, I don't understand why she can't just call in a referral to the gastro and then you schedule? I've been out of the traditional system for about 25 years now (in Kaiser) though, and don't really deal with that stuff. I told my (Ob) nurse that my sister was dying of colon cancer (at age 45) and that afternoon had a call to schedule a colonoscopy and one for a visit with a grief therapist.

Had to go to a presentation in advance of the procedure, but no "meet and greet". And they wouldn't do the procedure without a form providing the name, relationship, and phone number of the person who would pick me up. I just wanted to take a taxi home, but it's not permitted.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I had one last summer, my first, and my initial plea when I made the apt at the Dr.'s office, was that I heard there were pills to take instead of the liquid. I know I would have had a gag reflex had I taken the liquid, but then that is me. If anything comes in pill form, I prefer it.

The schedule is 4 pills which are about the size of large oval vitamin tablet every 15 min. with an 8 oz glass of water. I usually drink lots of water to quench any thirst as opposed to soda, etc. so this wasn't hard. As for the procedure, a light anesthetic.... I counted and the next thing I knew the nurse was asking how I was feeling and would I like some juice and crackers which I gobbled up I was so hungry. I had it done in an out patient building, but DH prefers the hospital facilities. He felt where I had it done was too "assembly line." Anyway the Dr. proclaimed me "sqeaky clean" and so I am off the hook for another 4 years.
    I felt fine afterwards other than hungry and just took it easy when I got home. And it was mandatory that someone come with me to drive me home. Taxis were definitely not allowed.

The issue with the taxi is that at the time you feel like you're ok. The next day you might be a bit foggy on the details of the whole afternoon. There's also the liability if someone said they were taking a taxi and actually drove themselves home. If they got confused and caused an accident, the center/hospital could be held liable and sued.

I always like having someone (usually Rob but sometimes my mom) with me because getting dressed and out the door when you're still woozy is hard. Also if you *did* have an adverse reaction to the anesthetics, you'd be too out of it to call an ambulance. Sometimes it can take up to 4 hours for your body to react to an allergen. It's also possible to be fine on a certain medication and have no issues and then have a major reaction out of the blue... that's what happened with my orange allergy. I was fine one day and had my throat and lungs close up just by popping a starburst in my mouth.

The chances of any of this happening are about the same as you winning the lottery, but it's just best to be safe just in case.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

As I said before, I got more anesthetic than most because my colon is "tortuous" and required a lot of twists and turns to negotiate, hence more drugs. I remember a goodly portion of the procedure and remember most of what was said and what I said.
    I remember being back in the dressing room. Doctor comes and reviews findings which I can't remember the next day. got dressed OK, but could not walk. got into wheelchair. DH wheels me to the parking lot. I get up & into car without difficulty. eat snack while giving relatively complicated driving directions to a place I'd been before but from a different direction. I am not very familiar with the area. arrive at destination. I wrap up in sleeping bag while he goes in to take care of his medical appt. I sleep soundly for 1 hour. Friend comes out to see if I'm awake. I set off car alarm somehow and can't turn it off because I don't remember I need to stick my keys in the ignition. I go into clinic and carry on seemingly normal conversation, none of which I can remember the next day.

The anesthetic does not dissipate in an orderly manner... moments of sharp clarity followed by passed out state. There are reasons you want someone else YOU KNOW doing the driving...

but back to the original question... I would guess the cost of a pre colonoscopy appt is likely rolled into the total cost of the procedure. I can't imagine why you'd need to see the doc first unless you're an especially high risk candidate who needs pre screening of some sort. and you don't sound like it. but the medical community can differ on how things are done. we just scheduled it( date & time) and they mail you pre procedure directions and a script for the "juice" which you get filled at the pharmacy of your choice. It's so important though to go ahead even if the procedure costs more than you expected.
    "If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle." Rita Mae Brown