Community Message Boards

Thread: Where To Find Polenta?

Question Where To Find Polenta?

I want to try some polenta recipes but I can't find it in my grocery store. I've looked by the couscous, etc., in the baking (cornmeal section) and in the refrigerated cases, but if it's there I can't find it. I have recipes that call for ground polenta and some with tubed polenta.

I found a couple of threads that mentioned a recipe on the back of cornmeal boxes, but the ones I found only had cornbread and hushpuppy recipes.

I asked a worker at the store and he looked at me like I had two heads.

At my store they have Bob's red mill. I think it is usually with the rices and other whole grains. Here is the link: http://www.bobsredmill.com/catalog/

Also, if you have a Cost Plus World Market they sell a coupla brands.

I have also seen some in the tube at my stores, I think in international foods. I always buy the "dry" mix kind.

I find polenta in a couple of spots. My favorite is the bulk bins either at Whole Foods or my grocer's natural foods area. Barring that, check the baking aisle near the other Bob's Red Mill products and the Italian product area which also usually has the tubed version. The Bob's Red Mill is labeled as coarse ground cornmeal so you may be looking at it and not realizing it as well.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

Regular cornmeal will work just fine, anyway. I don't think "polenta" is anything particularly special in the cornmeal way -- just cornmeal processed in Italian.
    fresh hot random! mad endeavour on vox
    Ask Palpatine: "Just because I'm the Dark Lord of the Sith doesn't mean you can't get to know me."

I found mine at HyVee Grocery store in a tube by the cheese...after I searched the whole store and finally asked!
    EmptyNestMom
    Grandma Pam to 3

"The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude." – Julia Child

DmOrtega Guest
    The tube is a precooked polenta, if you are looking for that, otherwise regular corn meal works fine.

I find the tube version in the health food section of our local Fred Meyer (Kroger). They have several varieties, including sun dried tomato/basil but I prefer the "plain".

Hope it helps!

Kate

I'll be going back to Kroger's tomorrow and I will look in the natural foods section. I think I remember seeing the coarse ground cornmeal but I'll double check.

How do you prepare polenta from cornmeal? You all make it sound so easy.

If you have a recipe for polenta using uncooked polenta just follow that. Generally, if I'm just making it for a side dish or to be served with marinara or bolognese I use 3 parts water to 1 part cornmeal. Boil water add salt if desired and then cornmeal. Simmer gently stirring frequently until cooked and thick consistency. Add a touch of cream or milk if desired and some parmesan cheese.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

You're in Georgia, right? You can substitute grits in most recipes that use polenta.
    "Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you."
    ~Tommy Smothers

Oven Baked Soft Polenta

Here's a recipe I use that cooks the polenta in the oven, none of that stirring involved.

OVEN BAKED SOFT POLENTA

2 quarts water
    2 tsp. salt
    2 cups coarse ground cornmeal
    2 Tbsp. butter

Combine water, salt, cornmeal and butter in 3-4 quart oven proof saucepan.

Bake uncovered at 350 for 1 hour 20 minutes. Stir polenta and bake for 10 more minutes.

Remove from oven and set aside for 5 minutes to rest before serving soft style with a sauce.

I like my polenta firm. After I remove from oven I pour it into a loaf pan sprayed with Pam and allow it to firm. Ive used firm slices in place of lasagna noodles for something different.
    see some of my pix @
    www.pbase.com/wintkat

and my online diary as I move from age 59 to the big 6o
    http://60-or-bust.blogspot.com/

I usually use stone ground cornmeal to make my polenta. However, here is a link to a page on Amazon that has a bunch of different kinds of polenta including the kind in the tube. I've actually bought the tube polenta before in either Kroger or Publix (I live in the Atlanta area). It was in the refrigerator section when I bought it. Now which refrigerator section?????

Bonnie

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...olenta&x=0&y=0