Community Message Boards

Thread: Going rate for pet sitting?

Going rate for pet sitting?

We are going on vacation & need someone to check in on our cat each day (and probably water a few plants). Our cat is 1 y.o. and doesn't have any special needs. We want to ask our neighbors kids (10 y.o. or 14 y.o.)

What's a good amount to offer the kids for this??

(I already did a search, but didn't find anything on this. Of course, I do tend to be search impaired)

TIA !!

My own children do that for neighbors, and neighbors' children do that for me, for around $10/child/week (we all usually just round up if less than a week). I usually bring a small gift from wherever we visited, too.
    Claire

It doesn't matter what you think, just that you do.

If you were paying a pet sitting service, it would be about $14.00 for a half hour for what you need done.

We pay $15.00/day for ours to stop by and feed/water 3 cats. 2 dogs. 2 gerbils and a bunch of fish.

SSM
    Now Robin's Mom too...10/21/02

I just started using a professional pet sitter and she charges $15 per visit. Visist are about 1/2 hour; feeding, water, cleaning litter box, bringing in mail, taking out trash, etc.
    I would probably talk to your neighbors and see what they think is reasonable. We have 5 cats, some with special needs so I think the $15 is well worth it.

We alos pay $15/day for pet sitter to feed/water cat, bring in mail, feed ducks/birds outside, water plants and generally keep an eye on things.
    Coffee, the finest organic suspension ever devised. Janeway : Voyager

Quote Originally Posted by hollysmom View Post
    We pay $15.00/day for ours to stop by and feed/water 3 cats. 2 dogs. 2 gerbils and a bunch of fish.

SSM
    Quote Originally Posted by HDgirl View Post
    If you were paying a pet sitting service, it would be about $14.00 for a half hour for what you need done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    I just started using a professional pet sitter and she charges $15 per visit. Visist are about 1/2 hour; feeding, water, cleaning litter box, bringing in mail, taking out trash, etc.
    I would probably talk to your neighbors and see what they think is reasonable. We have 5 cats, some with special needs so I think the $15 is well worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by lindaofthelakes View Post
    We alos pay $15/day for pet sitter to feed/water cat, bring in mail, feed ducks/birds outside, water plants and generally keep an eye on things.

Okay, maybe I am cheap or just lucky that all the kids in my neighborhood are willing to work for so little, but IMO there is a huge difference between a professonal petsitter and the neighbor kids. If somebody wanted to pay my kids $15/day for doing this I would not allow it (and I know for sure that at least one of my neighbors feels the same way).
    Claire

It doesn't matter what you think, just that you do.

My boys feed a friend's 2 cats (so far no litter box duty because it's only been for a day or two) and she pays them $10 per day. I told her that half that even sounded like a lot but she insisted. She figures that it's still quite a bit cheaper than boarding them.

My DD used to get $10/day for feeding 2 cats and scooping the litter. She also brought in the mail.

we pay $10 a day as well. for two cats, but to come twice a day to feed them (wet food), bring in the mail, take out the trash..etc.
    I'm walking in the avon walk for breast cancer AGAIN for the 5th year (2008)!

Donate Here

Thx, everyone! This was useful.

I agree there's a difference between "professional" (which really might just mean someone who does it a lot :-) and my neighbors kids. But, it's good to know the going rate of pros. Our cat kennel costs would be $17-20/day. So, I think I'll probably offer $10. Willing to pay more, but wanted to have a good starting point to throw out there when they ask me.

Thought I'd check back in on this, just b/c it's been a fun & cute experience.

Yesterday, I called our neighbor & left a voicemail saying "Hi Andrew.....we were wondering if your son would be available & interested in watching our cat while we're on vacation..."

Last night we received a voicemail...not from the Dad, but from the Son (he's in 4th grade, so about 10 y.o.). I've always respected this couple and their intelligent, mature kids. So, the son leaves a message that he'd be happy to cat-sit, thanks for asking him.

I just chatted w/him to make arrangements, plan a time for him to come by and meet our cat, get the key, etc. I asked him if he had a set rate that he charged, and he said no. So I offered him $10/day and asked if that sounded OK. He said "that's more than enough"

It's just so cute how he's managing this little business interaction. His parents are clearly guiding him and encouraging him to be independent. I'm so impressed!