Community Message Boards

Thread: Orange and black bug in the garden - good or bad?

Orange and black bug in the garden - good or bad?

Is there a good online reference for garden pests, with associated photos? I came home from vacation to find lots of a green and orange bug on my vegetables. I don't think it is eating them up, but I'm not sure. It is a more-or-less ladybug-looking bug; more dappled than spotted, ovalish in shape, and about twice as large as the average ladybug. I'm more than happy to have good bugs, but if this is a bad one, it is going to do a lot of damage because there seem to be quite a lot of them.

Thanks!
    Megan

Is this what you have?

If so, those are Japanese beetles and you definitely want to get rid of them right away! Pick them off by hand and drop them in a container of soapy water, or spray your plants with insectisidal soap.
    Claire

It doesn't matter what you think, just that you do.

No, that isn't it. The orange and black are more of a spotted pattern, and the legs are not distinct like that.

Cucumber beetle, maybe?

Cucumber beetle photos

If so, they're bad news. They spread bacterial wilt, which decimated my zucchini and pumpkins last year.

Quote Originally Posted by gertdog View Post
    Cucumber beetle, maybe?

Cucumber beetle photos

If so, they're bad news. They spread bacterial wilt, which decimated my zucchini and pumpkins last year.
    Hmm. Closer, but I don't think that is it. I hope not! I will have a closer look tonight. Maybe I can get a photo.

This site shows photos of, and describes, good and bad garden bugs:

http://vegipm.tamu.edu/imageindex.html

After some internet searching, it could possibly be a Harlequin bug (NOT good), but I'm not sure. ETA - the previous post came up while I was typing...I will have a look there, too. Thanks!