Community Message Boards

Thread: Seeking party favor ideas for 6- and 7-year olds

Seeking party favor ideas for 6- and 7-year olds

Rebecca's birthday party thread reminded me of my own birthday party question ...

I'm planning DS's 7th birthday party. I really do not want to do the goody-bag-full-of-little-plastic-items thing again. But I want to have some kind of party favor, because that's an expected part of the "party ritual." So I'm looking for ideas for some sort of toy or larger item I can give out that would be entertaining. We went to one party where they gave out small clay pots, a little bag of dirt and some seeds -- I thought that was a great idea.

This will be for a bunch of 6- and 7-year-olds, mostly boys but some girls. The party theme is "Star Wars," but the favors don't necessarily have to relate to that. I've seen plastic Light Sabers in the "favors" section of the party store, but at $9.99 a pop, that's too expensive for the number of kids we're having.

TIA!

Helene
    "We reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals. Our founding fathers, faced with perils we can scarcely imagine, drafted a charter to assure the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations. Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake."
    --President Barack Obama, 1/20/09

What about a glow necklace or bracelet for each kid? Or maybe a Darth Vader mask (I'm thinking cheap plastic here)?

Does your kid enjoy coloring? If so, you could try to find some Star Wars coloring books and get a pack of crayons or markers for each kid. That was the party favor I gave out for DD's party, except she loves Scooby Doo, so I bought SD coloring books. I also gave out a small bottle of bubbles because I bought a bunch of them for the kids to play with at the party, but they didn't end up using them.

DS gave Pokemon cards last year but not sure that your girls to be too into that!
    Stacy

Quote Originally Posted by srahndennis View Post
    DS gave Pokemon cards last year but not sure that your girls to be too into that!
    My DD would probably choose those over most "girl" favors but then Helene already knows she's not a very girly girl. But if you do favors that are considered gender specific, I'd suggest having a couple extra of each so that a child could choose.

You might have enough time to order early reader Star Wars books and I think they're around $3 or $4/each (not sure if that is still too much). We have a few that are are Level 2 -4.

Kim

How about homemade slime? A woman at work made it with her son for party favors recently and all the kids loved it. They put it in those plastic Easter eggs and colored the slime to match the Easter egg color.

http://www.sciencebob.com/experiments/polymer.html

This is still a little pricey, but DK makes those great sticker books, and they have a Star Wars sticker book. They are 6.99 each at Amazon, but are part of their "Buy 3 get the 4th free" promotion and so would be $5.25 apiece.

Star Wars sticker books

On a non-Star Wars note, every kid I know loves flashlights. Not exactly a light saber, but maybe more practical/durable and still fun.

Water Guns are always a summer favorite for boys. Also, waterballoon kits are fun as well. I think you can get them at the dollar stores or Party City and they don't cost very much.

I love the book idea, as I'm with you in detesting cr*ppy plastic party favors. But one favor idea that's pretty good, & inexpensive, would be pkgs of those glow-in-the-dark stars that the child can affix to his bedroom ceiling. You could package a little paperback with some stars.
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

These are great ideas -- thank you! The idea of the Pokemon cards has got me thinking -- the comic book store around here sells packs of Star Wars cards. Hmmmm. Maybe I could offer assorted packs of cards, that the kids could choose themselves, since not everyone is as into Star Wars as Victor is -- Pokemon, Star Wars, baseball cards, etc. Maybe tie some lollypops to the card packs with ribbon or something to make it look more festive. That's something to consider.

BTW, Victor was at a party last week, and one of the things in the goody bags was a small tape measure-- the kind that retracts. That was a great idea -- he's been going around the house measuring everything for the past few days. Fun and educational!

Thanks again!

H.
    "We reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals. Our founding fathers, faced with perils we can scarcely imagine, drafted a charter to assure the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations. Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake."
    --President Barack Obama, 1/20/09

We did yo-yo's one year for my boys b-day. You can usually find the decent ones for $3-4 a piece at Target or the like. Another year we did those colth covered flexible frisbees. They come in all sizes from small to super large. We found a bunch of cool patterned ones that year at the Christmas Tree Shop for $1-2 per piece. Other (non Star Wars related) stuff might include play-dough(may be too baby-ish already), bubbles, sidewalk chalk, squirt guns or other summer water/non-water toys. Good luck.

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by do-lolly View Post
    Water Guns are always a summer favorite for boys.
    Unless they have parents who don't want their children to play with gun replicas. Other shaped water shooters (such as alligators) would be better.

But

Victor's going to be seven. I can't believe it.
    Beth

"A teacher who says, 'I am a good teacher,' is in trouble. A good teacher is frequently troubled, in doubt, frustrated. Perfection doesn't exist. Everyone needs help." (Amelia Gambetti)

Quote Originally Posted by KimK View Post
    How about homemade slime? A woman at work made it with her son for party favors recently and all the kids loved it. They put it in those plastic Easter eggs and colored the slime to match the Easter egg color.

http://www.sciencebob.com/experiments/polymer.html
    Sorry to hijack, but I was just wondering if you or anyone has made this? I'm interested in doing this, but just a little worried about the food coloring. Won't it stain your hands (or clothing if it gets on them) while playing with it?? Is there a food coloring that won't stain?? I guess I could forego the food coloring, but I don't think it would be as appealing without it.

We make it at the "sea school" (pre-school program at an aquarium) where I volunteer, but they call it flubber. The kids LOVE it. We use washable paint as the coloring and have never had a problem with it staining anything.
    <)>>< Candace ><<)>

Helene,

My dollar tree had Star Wars coloring books when I was there today. If you can't find them near your house, let me know and I can pick up some for you and mail them.

Cheryl

I've heard about moms doing capes as party favors. There are some cute ones on Etsy. If you sew, you could make them for even cheaper
    Being a mom sure makes you appreciate yours.

Quote Originally Posted by HRJ View Post
    We went to one party where they gave out small clay pots
    Why was my first thought Neti pots? My very visual mind then instantly conjured a gag reel of 7 year olds clearing out their nasal passages amid piles of wrapping paper.

Carry on...Back to your regularly scheduled thread...
    Linda

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and I could say “I used everything you gave me.”

Erma Bombeck

Quote Originally Posted by HejazSunKat View Post
    Why was my first thought Neti pots? My very visual mind then instantly conjured a gag reel of 7 year olds clearing out their nasal passages amid piles of wrapping paper.

Carry on...Back to your regularly scheduled thread...
    7-year-old BOYS?? Are you kidding? You'd be the hit of the neighborhood, the Coolest Mom Ever!

Of course, all the other moms would never forgive you.
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

Quote Originally Posted by zwieback View Post
    Sorry to hijack, but I was just wondering if you or anyone has made this? I'm interested in doing this, but just a little worried about the food coloring. Won't it stain your hands (or clothing if it gets on them) while playing with it?? Is there a food coloring that won't stain?? I guess I could forego the food coloring, but I don't think it would be as appealing without it.
    I used to do science birthday parties at an educational supply/toy store. I've made that recipe hundreds of times with kids. It doesn't stain so use whatever coloring you like best. It's fun to make it with the kids.
    Beth

"A teacher who says, 'I am a good teacher,' is in trouble. A good teacher is frequently troubled, in doubt, frustrated. Perfection doesn't exist. Everyone needs help." (Amelia Gambetti)

Seek out party planning companies. There are a lot of cheap ones out there. Themed parties are usually the ones that kids will enjoy and remember the most.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleHHH View Post
    Seek out party planning companies. There are a lot of cheap ones out there. Themed parties are usually the ones that kids will enjoy and remember the most.
    Those "kids" are almost teen-agers by now.

Those "kids" are almost teen-agers by now
    I had to snicker.
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen