Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What has Kim Delaney done to her face!

What has Kim Delaney done to her face!

Or please tell me it wasn't her.

I was watching Army wives last night and she was so unrecognizable, I only knew it was her by her voice. She now has a huge upper lip and something major has changed with her face.

I wish I could find a picture.

Laurie

I don't think she looks like "old" herself.

I think the change was visible in 2002, CSI-Miami, first year, to the point where, as a fan from NYPD Blue days, she was unrecognizable to me then. (I can't find a good photo that I'm sure is from there.) Of course, it was a notoriously bad series of performances, too, to the point where they wrote her out, reportedly for incompatibility with Caruso.

Bob

I hadn't noticed but I watched on a small TIVO with not great reception.

Equally appalling to me are the overly Botoxed Desperate Housewives -- I am generally totally distracted by the complete lack of movement in Marcia Cross's face when she is on screen -- although at least it is in character with her character.

Of course, I can't imagine how difficult it would be to face the sneers of Hollywood and the public when one hits 40 as an actress -- the tabloids and internet are full of the least flattering photos of actresses -- and any line in the face or slight bit of cellulite is viewed as a disaster -- instead of more or less normal.
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

I think it was supposed to represent how she would have looked taking Emily to college after the bombing. Maybe she chose to have some facial surgery, but it looked more like injuries to me.
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Admittedly, I don't watch Army Wives so I didn't see the episode you're referring to. But I do see a noticeable change in her face from her NYPD Blue/CSI days to now.

NYPD Blue:

CSI Miami:

Army Wives:

Its definately the collegen lips! And those what look like painted on eyebrows. Its so noticable to me because I watch CSI reruns that are on now and she in on that.

And how about Nicole Kidman, you talk about forhead Botox, and she recently started the collegen lip thing.

Laurie

I feel really old... I always think of her first as "Jenny" on All My Children.
    "Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?" - attorney Bob Loblaw, Arrested Development

"Spend time with your kids so we don't have to" - Florida Dept. of Juvenile Justice bumper sticker

www.nostinkycheese.blogspot.com

Now that Aggie posted the before and and after pictures, It looks like she had something done to her cheeks too. She was so pretty. Now she has lost that smirkey smile

Laurie

Quote Originally Posted by Laurielee View Post
    Now that Aggie posted the before and and after pictures, It looks like she had something done to her cheeks too. She was so pretty. Now she has lost that smirkey smile

Laurie
    Could just be she's getting older...
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Sadly, Kim Delaney had a drinking problem for awhile. I would hear about her coming back to her hometown of Philly and getting stopped for DUI. Hopefully she now has a grip on that. I always liked her and found that sad.

Nothing will destroy good looks like booze, so I'm guessing that it took it's toll on her. That's a tough one, her business is very unforgiving.
    "If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space."

Blast from the past. Larry Lau was on the show for Jesse and Angie's wedding. Still looks good!

SSM
    Now Robin's Mom too...10/21/02

Quote Originally Posted by stefania4 View Post
    I feel really old... I always think of her first as "Jenny" on All My Children.
    I totally forgot about that! But I'm NOT old!

It's funny to think about some of the characters from the soaps back then......like John Stamos and Demi Moore on GH.

Quote Originally Posted by lindrusso View Post
    I totally forgot about that! But I'm NOT old!

It's funny to think about some of the characters from the soaps back then......like John Stamos and Demi Moore on GH.

Let us not forget, Rick Springfield either, while we are at it! LOL

Kristi
    co-founder
    Planet Marshmallow
    www.planetmarshmallow.com

Wait a second...what about the hair? Curly/wavy versus straight hair can really make some people look different...
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."

Actresses and over-use of Botox

I first time noticed Kim Delaney looking very strange in that Nightmares and Dreamscapes thing she did on HBO a couple years ago. (You can watch a video clip at http://www.tv.com/video/5972/you-kno...=video;thumb;2). She had the frozen face so many actresses have these days. They have no natural brow or laugh lines. The bottom of their faces kind of hang at the mouth and jaw, in an unnatural way (probably because all the muscles have been frozen with Botox). When it's really bad they can only make a weak smile. The most noticeable symptom I see over and over is the inability to show an emotion except through the wide-opening or squinting of their eyes. Squinting of the eyes is supposed to demonstrate anger, concern, frustration. Wide eyes (sometimes accompanied by slightly-raised eyebrows if the Botox has worn off there a bit) is supposed to show everything from surprise to fear, disbelief, upset and annoyance, boredom. They use the angle or direction of their head and/or body gestures and of course language to portray what they used to portray with their eyes, eyebrows and foreheads. Most good actors can demonstrate emotion without a word. But these scared aging actors/actresses have botox-ed away their ability to demonstrate emotion (the main thing acting is to my way of thinking). It is so sad to me.

It is also distracting. I sometimes find myself watching an episode of Boston Legal, and figuring out if something was shot early on or later on based on how much her Botox has worn off and she begins to soften and look like an emoting human being!

The thing that I find so strange is that many of the women who have this stuff done were really attractive to begin with. It's not like they had some sort of facial "problem" to deal with. They don't have big flaws or anything to begin with. I know their industry is unforgiving, and I do understand a little work here or there. But the extreme stuff makes them look unattractive. Maybe it's that plastic surgery addiction at work?
    TKay

Quote Originally Posted by TKay View Post
    The thing that I find so strange is that many of the women who have this stuff done were really attractive to begin with. It's not like they had some sort of facial "problem" to deal with. They don't have big flaws or anything to begin with. I know their industry is unforgiving, and I do understand a little work here or there. But the extreme stuff makes them look unattractive. Maybe it's that plastic surgery addiction at work?
    Kim Delaney/Marcia Cross are not having surgery for flaws. They are having work done to get rid of all signs of aging. Unfortunately, the demands put on 40-ish female actresses is to have the theoretical face of a lineless 20 years which can only bought by being completely expressionless. HDTV has also added to the pressure. Consider the difference between Lucille Ball's face and what is permissible now -- and who would have loved Lucy WITHOUT her ability to mug.

Actresses like Meryl Streep and Helen Mirren have had subtle work done -- no doubt good face lifts but still retain the ability to use their faces to express subtleties.

Meatloaf

Quote Originally Posted by blazedog View Post
    Actresses like Meryl Streep and Helen Mirren have had subtle work done -- no doubt good face lifts but still retain the ability to use their faces to express subtleties.
    Are you sure about Meryl Streep? Maybe I'm naive and it's just that I'd like to think that an actress of her caliber isn't vain, but in interviews she has said she is against plastic surgery:

http://www.carefair.com/html/Meryl_S...tion_5449.html

Of course, I guess she could be against plastic surgery in general, but find it necessary in order to get acting jobs....
    “It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society”.----Krishnamurti

Quote Originally Posted by EllenL View Post
    Are you sure about Meryl Streep? Maybe I'm naive and it's just that I'd like to think that an actress of her caliber isn't vain, but in interviews she has said she is against plastic surgery:

http://www.carefair.com/html/Meryl_S...tion_5449.html

Of course, I guess she could be against plastic surgery in general, but find it necessary in order to get acting jobs....
    There is nothing in that little blurb that says she hasn't had plastic surgery and she has definitely had it done but it's "good" plastic surgery in which it isn't obvious as the person just looks better but not freakishly tight or devoid of any lines.

I would interpret that little piece as her being against the kind of insane surgery that many actors/actresses which make them look "young" in a zombie kind of way.

Meatloaf

Quote Originally Posted by blazedog View Post
    There is nothing in that little blurb that says she hasn't had plastic surgery and she has definitely had it done but it's "good" plastic surgery in which it isn't obvious as the person just looks better but not freakishly tight or devoid of any lines.

I would interpret that little piece as her being against the kind of insane surgery that many actors/actresses which make them look "young" in a zombie kind of way.

So is it just a matter of extremes, then? The Kim Delaneys are requesting that their doctor make them lineless, while the Helen Mirrens are requesting something less extreme? Because surely all these people can afford great plastic surgeons and if their face was their career, you'd think they would make sure to go to somebody with a certain reputation or recommendations, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Meganator View Post
    So is it just a matter of extremes, then? The Kim Delaneys are requesting that their doctor make them lineless, while the Helen Mirrens are requesting something less extreme? Because surely all these people can afford great plastic surgeons and if their face was their career, you'd think they would make sure to go to somebody with a certain reputation or recommendations, etc.
    I figure that they start with one or two things and then get convinced that the more they do, the better they will look and they keep going back. I'll bet the surgeons have a good idea that the results will not be good after a certain point, but when a celebrity walks in and demands something, they probably just give it to them.

That has to be the explanation for celebrities like Goldie Hawn who seem to have gone a ruined a perfectly nice face. I'd rather have wrinkles and sags than look like a poster child for bad plastic surgery!
    Last edited by lindrusso; 07-23-2008 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meganator View Post
    I know it is hard to believe because we think they look terrible but they WANT to look that way. Cross and Delaney do NOT look into their mirrors and see freakishly immobile faces with duck lips (Delaney) only but a shout out to Meg Ryan and her quackers..

It is NOT the plastic surgeon's lack of skill -- they are giving their client base what they want. My friend had her eyes done a few years ago and consulted a plastic surgeon consultant who told her that NY women want to look subtle and undone and LA women want big fake b*oobs and tight faces.

Meatloaf

Because surely all these people can afford great plastic surgeons and if their face was their career, you'd think they would make sure to go to somebody with a certain reputation or recommendations, etc.
    Look at Priscilla, at least she admits to botched surgery. I think I heard the guy lost his license and he was a plastic surgeoun to the stars.

Look at Priscilla, at least she admits to botched surgery. I think I heard the guy lost his license and he was a plastic surgeoun to the stars.

Actually HER situation confirms that being rich and famous does NOT mean one is necessarily smart. Presley had injections from a doctor who wasn't even a doctor at parties held at the home of Lionel Richie's ex. Major moronic move to allow oneself to be injected with something without checking out the person's credentials and confirming what it is? Somewhat the same situation with Kanye West's mother who had work done by a doctor who wasn't Board certified and had some major malpractice issues -- not to mention her having the surgery against medical advice and knowing she was at risk, going home rather than staying in a medical facility which probably could have prevented her death.

Priscilla, whose face looks ... strange on "Dancing with the Stars," went to Dr. Daniel Serrano around 2003. Serrano was a good-looking doc from Argentina who hooked into Hollywood's social A-list and started giving them what he claimed were miracle injections that worked better than Botox.

In fact, Serrano was injecting industrial, low-grade silicone similar to what's used to lubricate auto parts in Argentina into the faces of these women. Several women, including Shawn King, Larry's wife, and Diane Richie, Lionel's wife at the time, held injection parties in their homes, with Serrano needling them with the non-FDA approved drug that he had smuggled in to the U.S. Shawn King has said the injections created a lump in her lip that made it difficult to speak and drink liquids. Serrano charged between $300 and $500 a pop.

But wait, it gets worse. Serrano wasn't even a licensed doc in the U.S. The injections caused lumps, paralysis and holes in the faces of some of the women (and some men) he injected.

Serrano, who was nicknamed Dr. Jiffy Lube, was indicted by the Feds for smuggling drugs, and the conspiracy and use of unapproved drugs. He was convicted, and last week he was released and is currently being investigated by federal immigration officials and could be deported.

BTW, Diane Richie was also indicted as an accomplice. She pled out and was placed on probation.

As for Priscilla -- who had no idea she was being injected with silicone -- we're told she's undergoing corrective work.

Meatloaf

Holy cow Blaze, that is scary! You are right $$ and smarts dont neccesarily go together. As for Kanyes mom, I was shocked to hear she had that invasive surgery done and was sent home the same day. Just that alone would have me running away.

here is another example of the lip thing. I Think Nicole Kidman is so pretty but now shes goes the collagen lips, which is pretty noticable to me

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3575617024/nm0000173

Holy cow Blaze, that is scary! You are right $$ and smarts dont neccesarily go together. As for Kanyes mom, I was shocked to hear she had that invasive surgery done and was sent home the same day. Just that alone would have me running away.

here is another example of the lip thing. I Think Nicole Kidman is so pretty but now shes goes the collagen lips, which is pretty noticable to me

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3575617024/nm0000173
    I FORGOT to mention yet another major Botox offender -- Kidman who also has face that fails to move and preternaturally unlined forehead with the tell tale high arched eye brows. I find her to be ghoulish looking personally.
    Last edited by blazedog; 07-23-2008 at 05:04 PM.

Meatloaf

Nicole Kidman is another great example. Why? Why does she feel it's necessary to mess with what is, to most people, a pretty face to begin with? I know, I know. The aging thing. But yeesh! At least wait until you're staring to look old.
    I was discussing this with someone earlier today and she told me about Julie Christie who hasn't had any work done (I'm guessing). My friend told me Ms. Christie looked beautiful in the movie Away From Her (which I didn't see). I found this photo. Wrinkled? Yes. Older? Yes. Natural? Yes. Attractive? You bet. Sure, she has lots of golden hair here, but look at her face. She's beautiful.
    http://www.moviesonline.ca/gallery.p...yFromHer-1.jpg
    TKay

Quote Originally Posted by TKay View Post
    Nicole Kidman is another great example. Why? Why does she feel it's necessary to mess with what is, to most people, a pretty face to begin with? I know, I know. The aging thing. But yeesh! At least wait until you're staring to look old.
    I was discussing this with someone earlier today and she told me about Julie Christie who hasn't had any work done (I'm guessing). My friend told me Ms. Christie looked beautiful in the movie Away From Her (which I didn't see). I found this photo. Wrinkled? Yes. Older? Yes. Natural? Yes. Attractive? You bet. Sure, she has lots of golden hair here, but look at her face. She's beautiful.
    http://www.moviesonline.ca/gallery.p...yFromHer-1.jpg
    Julie Christie has had GOOD work done on her face as has Meryl Streep and Helen Mirren (as I earlier mentioned). Good work means that an older woman isn't a bizarre line-less creature. Hillary Clinton has had good work as has Nancy Pelosi.

Good work produces subtle results so that the woman looks like an attractive older woman with lines.

Meatloaf

Blazedog, how do you have access to so much information? Are you in the business? I've always wondered about certain faces that seem to have aged well. Good genes only do so much, so what you say makes sense.