Community Message Boards

Thread: Know any good floor-tile layouts for combo of 20x20 + 13x13?

Question Know any good floor-tile layouts for combo of 20x20 + 13x13?

I'm so weary of searching all over the Internet for an interesting way to lay out our #1 choice floor tile, which comes in only two sizes. Can anyone direct me to creative layouts using only 20x20s and 13x13s? My tile guy is checking into it, but I know you BBers are wonderful sources of inspiration & maybe someone has a good idea.

Maybe we should go with our #2 choice tile color, which is a little pale & doesn't have the warm overtones of our #1 choice, but which comes in four sizes so you can find all sorts of good layouts. Our #2 choice, which looks like a natural stone (our #1 choice does, too, but its tones are a teeny bit darker & warmer--but not a dark floor overall), comes in 18x18, 12x18, 12x12, and 6x6.

Given the choice, would you pick the best color in a rather simple layout pattern, or the second-best color in a flagstone-inspired, more complex pattern? I can't decide which you'd notice first--the pattern or the color--and I'm tired of looking at tile samples. They all start to look alike after awhile, but when we're spending $$ I don't want to just pick one & be done with it, just to get it over with. (Tempting, though. ) We have a boring grid pattern now--tons of 12x12s, all lined up in rows; ick--and I'd love an interesting floor instead.

Thanks.
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

I don't know of a good layout -- that certainly isn't my expertise, but given the choice, I'd go with the colors you want over an 'interesting' layout. Presumably, the floor won't be the only thing in the room, but you'll want to take your colors from it, and the other items will be noticed! The tile will just be the impression, but the colors will be carried throughout.JMO

That said, we have a tile floor throughout the house (almost), and the larger expanses are a 'pinwheel' layout, while the smaller spaces, like bathrooms, are only the smaller tile. Maybe alternating rows of the sizes would work, or just random? Anyway, I'd go for the perfect colors.
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Here are patterns:
    but I can't remember how to remove all the details in the link:mad:

http://www.thevirtualshowroom.com/CT/Dal/dal's_tile_patterns.htm

You can use sizes other than shown on the site. You can see some accommodate different sizes. I love the interesting patterns.
    Christie

Here is a pattern that I loved. It made the room more interesting.

This pattern isn't what you want, but I love how it changed the bath from boring to interesting.

Can you tell I like patterned tile?
    Christie

Quote Originally Posted by ChristieinMB View Post
    Here is a pattern that I loved. It made the room more interesting.

I really like this one. Wonder if it'd work with my two tile sizes? My only concern about it is that a strong diagonal won't work in this area, but the pic is sure pretty. Thanks!

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

The picture I showed you was not on the diagonal. Just basic squares but two different sizes. I have that pattern done in my present house, but in two different sizes than what is shown in the pics. The pics are from an old house, I don't live there now.
    Christie

Quote Originally Posted by ChristieinMB View Post
    The picture I showed you was not on the diagonal. Just basic squares but two different sizes. I have that pattern done in my present house, but in two different sizes than what is shown in the pics. The pics are from an old house, I don't live there now.
    Thanks; it's pretty. I hope to make a floor decision soon.

TestK, that tile pattern (the hopscotch or pinwheel) is what I have on my floor in 20 and 13 inch squares. I love the pattern and we get lots of compliments on it. Yes, it looks great (but I don't have access to a photo of it and DS just left town with the camera I might get a new one with).

reported