Community Message Boards

Thread: Cleaning burnt on pan

Hybrid View

Cleaning burnt on pan

I burned rice in my stainless steel pot last night. Not paying attention....

I soaked it in vinegar, scrubbed it with baking soda...... Some improvement, but it still pretty bad.

just wondering if anyone has other suggestions for me.......

thankS!

Do you have any Barkeeper's Friend or Cameo powder? Both of those are recommended by pan makers -- after a good long soak in soapy water! Hope you get it off!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

whenever I have something burnt on a pan I just let it soak in water for a few hours, and it cleans right off.

I think I remember Queen of Clean saying simmer a couple tablespoons of baking powder with about a half cup of water for five or 10 minutes. I did it once and it came right up.

I've read somewhere that this is a big no-no, but... I have All Clad stainless steel and if I get something stuck, or it's just a tough job like pudding or rice, I put about a Tbs of cascade in there, swish it around with water, and let it soak about 1/2 hour. It should come right off after that. I don't know why it's a no-no, since I've done it a bunch of times, (I've had my All Clad for about 15 years,) and it's never hurt the pans. You never want to try this on a Caphalon pot though, it will take off the finish!

When we burnt oatmeal in a glass saucepan, this is what we found by searching online and it worked very well (although it was pretty time consuming).

Make a paste with baking soda and water and coat the burnt parts of the pan with it. Allow it to dry. Pour white vinegar over it (it will start bubbling and you will see the black flaking off). Bring vinegar/baking soda mixture to boil on the stovetop. Pour off boiling vinegar and scrub pan. I think it took us 4 or 5 times through this process to get all the burnt stuff off the pan (it was very badly burnt!) but it worked.

I'm not sure if this is a good way to clean stainless steel, though. We just figured we had nothing to lose because we couldn't exactly use the pan with a bunch of burnt gunk in it (and it was a fairly inexpensive glass saucepan, anyway).

Great! thanks all!

This is probably the 4th time Ive burnt something in this pan! one time it was hard boiled eggs! Ive always managed to clean it!

the pan is about 30yrs old! but one of my favs......

OMG......I cant BELIEVE its 30yrs old! Its just a small sauce pan, but I use it everyday! amazing.....

Ill go try one of the suggestions.....

thanks!

Thanks! I was just going to try that!

I've had great luck with Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. They take off stuff I never thought I'd get off my pans.
    Love a geologist and feel the earthquake!
    The Haunted Yard

Any cooked-on, baked-on grime in pans simmers in plenty of water on the stove while we eat. The steam washes lid and sides; and loosens baked-on, cooked-on grime from the bottom. When we consider how deglazing loosens caramelized stuck-on bits on bottoms of a fry pans (even cast iron), same applies to stubborn food debris. If the food is scorched badly, it at least loosens it. It has saved me countless hours of scrubbing.

It's very rare baked-on, cooked-on debris is not loosened by the time we get around to clean up.

Dolores
    Last edited by dneilson; 06-12-2008 at 08:10 PM.
    "we can't go 'round measuring our goodness by what we don't do, by what we deny ourselves, what we resist and who we exclude...
    we've got to measure goodness by what we embrace, what we create, and who we include."
    Pierre Henri in Chocolat
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.photographybydolores.com

I wanted to share another tip for beginning cooks. If I had known the following, I wouldn't haven't spent countless hours scrubbing.

Burner spill overs:

Rather than continuing to simmer on burner that's had something boil over (like today - coconut cream reduction), immediately shut off burner and move simmering pot to a burner not pressed into service. Continue by adjusting heat. (Wipe exterior of pot first so that doesn't cook on and dry) If it occurs again, do the same thing until you get heat adjustment correct (often times, it's a sign of a pot that's too small. Switch to frypan with more evaporating area). In the meantime, I have a soaked wet cloth over the spill and leave it there for 5-10 minutes -everything lifts right off 5 minutes later. I stripped stoves for years the hard way (particularly burnt on sugary reductions) until I realized that moving the pot prevented hours of scrubbing. Hopefully, some one can learn from my mistakes!

- Dolores
    "we can't go 'round measuring our goodness by what we don't do, by what we deny ourselves, what we resist and who we exclude...
    we've got to measure goodness by what we embrace, what we create, and who we include."
    Pierre Henri in Chocolat
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.photographybydolores.com

Fill the pot with water and a little automatic dishwash detergent and bring it to a boil and turn it off. Let it steep a little while until it is cold enough to scrub. Then after all the burned stuff is off, scrub it with Barkeeper's Friend.
    Works for me!!!!
    Curleytop