Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO FC recipe - Blueberry Streusel Bars with Lemon-Cream Filling

ISO FC recipe - Blueberry Streusel Bars with Lemon-Cream Filling

I saw this recipe in the magazine (Fine Cooking 93) at the store, and I am kicking myself for not picking it up. I have 2 cups of fresh blueberries from the farmers market yearning to be part of this dessert.

Does anyone have this magazine that would be able to share this recipe?
    Thanks very much!

link to picture:
    http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/r...px?ac=ts&ra=fp

Last edited by Auryn; 06-18-2008 at 04:41 PM.

Here ya go.

Blueberry Streusel Bars with Lemon-Cream Filling
    24 bars

8 oz unsalted butter, softened; more for the pan
    13 1/2 oz (3 cups) all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (not quick)
    1 1/3 cups packed light brown sugar
    1 tsp table salt
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 large egg, separated
    14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
    1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
    2 tsp grated lemon zest
    2 1/2 cups room-temp blueberries,k washed and drained on paper towels

Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9 x 13 inch metal baking pan with foil, leaving a 1-inch overhang on the ends. Lightly butter the bottom and sides of the foil.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, sugar, salt and baking powder. Using your fingerts, blend the butter completely into the flour mixtgure. Transfer 2 cups of the crumb mixture to another bowl and reserve for topping. Blend the egg white into the remaining crumbs and press the mixture into the bottom of the pan to form a level crust. Bake the crust until it starts to form a dry top, about 10-12 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk the condensed milk, lemon juice, zest and egg yolk. Let this mixture stand for 5 minutes; it will begin to thicken.

Sprinkle blueberries evenly over the hot crust and then drop spoonfuls of the lemon mixture over the blueberries. Spread gently with a spatula to distribute a little more evenly, but take care not to crush the berries; it's fine if the lemon mixture isn't perfectly even. Bake until the lemon mixture just begins to form a shiny skin; 7 to 8 minutes.

Sprinkle reserved topping over the lemon layer, pressing the streusel between your fingers into small lumps as you sprinkle. Bake until the filling is bubbling at the edges and the topping is brown, 25 to 30 minutes.

Let the bars cool in the pan on a rack until just warm, about an hour. Carefully lift them out of the pan using the foil overhang and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Remove foil and cut into 24 bars when cool. The bars can be stored at room temp for a few hours, but otherwise should be kept in the refrigerator.

Kim
    "I will not defend my patriotism to those with the vile audiacity to have questioned it. A true patriot loves what his country stands for, not necessarily what his country does, and I will not shrink from holding America to her ideals." - Eric Zorn

Smile

Kim, thank you so much for the fast response! I wish I could give you one when I make them.

Has anyone tried these ?

You're welcome.

I haven't made them yet, but they're on the schedule for me to take to a picnic next week. Let me know how they turn out!
    "I will not defend my patriotism to those with the vile audiacity to have questioned it. A true patriot loves what his country stands for, not necessarily what his country does, and I will not shrink from holding America to her ideals." - Eric Zorn

I made these! I thought they were really good but that the proportion of filling to crust was slightly off. It wasn't a big thing, but I would have preferred more of the blueberry/lemon filling and less of the crust. I'd be interested to know what you think if you make these.

I did end up making these, they were pretty good! They were buttery and moist.
    I thought they were much better after they had been in the fridge overnight, better texture and the taste somehow blended.

I didn't have enough lemon zest, so they weren't quite as bright lemony as I would have liked, but I will put more in next time (and maybe a drop of lemon oil).

Beatrix, I agree that I would have liked a bit more filling in relation to the amount of crust. Do you think it would work if I used one and a half times the amount of filling and berries next time? I haven't really made bar cookies too much before.

Thanks again Kim for posting the recipe so fast!

I'm glad you liked these, Auryn. I don't know for sure about increasing the amount of filling, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. The bars may have to be cooked for a longer period of time. I was thinking that if I ever made these again I'd decrease the amount of crust instead of increasing the filling.

Don't you just love the combination of blueberry and lemon?

We made these this past weekend. I too thought there was too much crust and not enough filling. The topping was also a bit dry and crumbly. I loved the flavor, but the crust was a turn-off and I probably wouldn't make them again. The rest of the blueberry recipes in the magazine look divine though--I'll definitely try a few more.
    Life finds a way to amaze and amuse me everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by burleydee View Post
    Blueberry Streusel Bars with Lemon-Cream Filling
    24 bars

8 oz unsalted butter, softened; more for the pan
    13 1/2 oz (3 cups) all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (not quick)
    1 1/3 cups packed light brown sugar
    1 tsp table salt
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 large egg, separated
    14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
    1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
    2 tsp grated lemon zest
    2 1/2 cups room-temp blueberries,k washed and drained on paper towels

What would happen if I used quick oats instead of old fashioned rolled oats? I thought I would ask first so I don't waste my wonderful blueberries.

Quote Originally Posted by Salt View Post
    What would happen if I used quick oats instead of old fashioned rolled oats? I thought I would ask first so I don't waste my wonderful blueberries.
    My first thought is that it would be fine, but then I see the recipe specifically says "not quick". I wonder if they meant to put "not instant"?