Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salmon with a sweet sauce?

Salmon with a sweet sauce?

My DH requested salmon with a sweet sauce or glaze for his b-day dinner. Our T&T is the salmon with maple glaze and toasted almonds, but I would like to try something new and maybe a dish I can steam or cook on the stove, because it will be hot and I don't want to use the oven.

Ideas? Thanks.
    For you to be here now, trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you. It's an arrangement so specialized and particular that it has never been tried before and will only exist this once.

--Bill Bryson, "A Short History of Nearly Everything"

I adore CL's Salmon with Sweet & Sour Pan Sauce; I believe it's from 2006. I serve it with brown rice and steamed broccoli or sugar peas.
    "Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?" - attorney Bob Loblaw, Arrested Development

"Spend time with your kids so we don't have to" - Florida Dept. of Juvenile Justice bumper sticker

www.nostinkycheese.blogspot.com

I had salmon last night that just had a bit of sweet bbq sauce on it. Quite yummy.
    Theresa & Gigi & Anisette & Enchante & Le Beau Ouiseaux Rouge

I absolutely love this one... it's done on the stove. And it's a RR recipe (but it's a goodie!)

LIME AND HONEY GLAZED SALMON WITH WARM BLACK BEAN AND CORN SALAD

I have lots of other sweet-type salmon recipes but they're mostly done in the broiler or baked. I guess maybe because pan-frying might burn with the sweet sauce.
    Lori
    Blog: www.RecipeGirl.com/blog
    Another blog: www.CulinaryCovers.com
    www.Twitter.com/RecipeGirl
    Good food, fine wine... what a beautiful day!

I have a few recipes to suggest. I am posting the second one - even though it does bake in the oven - because it is an excellent recipe for a sweet salmon. The third one uses the broiler, which might not be too bad.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Charred Sugar-Crusted Alaska Salmon

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Fish/Seafood

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    Dry Sugar Rub:
    2 Tablespoons sugar
    1 Tablespoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    1/2 Tablespoon ground cumin
    1/2 Tablespoon paprika
    1/2 Tablespoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
    dash of cinnamon

4 -4 oz salmon fillets -- skinned
    2 Tablespoons olive oil

Blend all ingredients for dry sugar rub.

Generously coat one side of each salmon fillet with mixture.

Heat oil in large pan over medium-high heat. Carefully place fillets in pan - seasoned side down. Cook about 2 minutes to sear; turn fillets over. Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking 6-8 minutes. Cook just until fish is opaque throughout.

Source:
    "Reid's cooking class 4/06"

NOTES : Rule of thumb: 10 minutes of cooking time per inch thickness of fish.

Brown Sugar Chipotle Salmon with Honey Berry Glaze

Recipe By :

1 cup frozen blackberries -- thawed
    2 TBSP honey
    2 TBSP butter -- melted
    1 tsp fresh lime juice
    1 TBSP golden brown sugar
    1 TBSP cumin
    2 tsp salt
    1 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
    4 6 oz salmon fillets with skin -- (6 to 8)

Preheat oven to 425. Press berries through sieve into medium bowl. Discard seeds. Transfer 1/4 cup berry puree to medium bowl. Whisk in honey, butter and lime for glaze. Transfer 6 TBSP glaze to small bowl and reserve as sauce.

Place rack on rimmed baking sheet. Mix brown sugar, cumin, salt. and chipotle on plate. Dip flesh side of salmon in spice mixture; place coated side up on rack. Brush with remaining glaze. Bake salmon until just opaque in center, about 15 minutes. Serve, passing reserved glaze separately as sauce.

Source:
    "BA 12/04"

Honey-Ginger Salmon

Recipe By :

6 tablespoons honey
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1/4 cup hoisin sauce
    1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
    1 tablespoon chopped canned chipotle chilies
    1 tablespoon golden brown sugar
    4 8 ounce salmon steaks (each about 1 inch thick)

Stir honey, cilantro, hoisin sauce, ginger, chilies and brown sugar in bowl to blend.

Preheat broiler. Brush salmon steaks with oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Brush with some of honey-ginger glaze. Broil salmon until opaque in center, basting occasionally with remaining glaze, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer salmon steaks to plates; serve.

Source:
    "Bon Apptit /January 1999"
    Ratings : Excellent! 10
    The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. - Anonymous

"Iron Chief" brand which I find in the asian area of the supermarket has an orange and ginger glaze which I use a lot when preparing salmon. It really enhances the salmon flavor. This is a staple on my shelf.

Here is a recipe for a maple glazed salmon

From Atco Blue Fame Kitchen
    2tbsp maple flavoured pancake syrup ( I use real maple syrup)
    2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
    2 tbsp hoisin sauce
    11/2 tsp fresh grated ginger ( I use grated in a jar)
    11/2 tsp dijon mustard
    1/4 tsp 5 spice chinese powder
    Salmon fillet.
    Top prepare glaze combine all the ingredients except salmon in a small bowl .
    Place salmon skin side down on heavy foil . Trim foil so it is larger than the fillet.
    Brush salmon with some of the glaze. With lid down on BBQ, cook bastiing salmon with some of the glaze over medium heat. Cook on BBQ for 10 to 12 minutes. until salmion flakes with a fork .
    I have done this in the house on my grill .

This glaze is the same idea .
    Honey Thyme glazed slamon.

1/4 cup honey
    2tbsp finely chopped green onions
    1 tbsp dijon mustard
    1/2 tsp thyme , crumbled
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
    Follow directions as above.
    Remember words have no flavour, you have to add your own!
    Michael Smith

I second Stefania's recommendation for the CL's Salmon with Sweet and Sour Sauce. If you can stand to turn on the oven for a short time, I also recommend CL's Sweet Orange Salmon.
    my personal chef service: Anastasia's Table Personal Chef Service

Cooking Light has a couple that we like: Sweet-Spicy Glazed Salmon and Maple-Glazed Salmon. A friend gave me this recipe years ago and my husband really likes it:

BOURBON SALMON:

1/2 cup brown sugar
    2 Tbsp. Bourbon
    1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
    1 tsp. soy sauce
    1/4 tsp. black pepper

Combine; stir over low heat until melted; glaze salmon and grill or broil.

*There was also one that involved just butter, brown sugar, and walnuts but I can't remember the exact amounts. That was really good, too.

Jessica,

I second the thumbs-up for the Honey-Ginger Salmon recipe that zackaboo included; that's become a T&T for us.

Salmon and berries are naturally gorgeous partners. Here's another from Sunset magazine that was a great hit-it's tangy-sweet and really beautiful on the plate. It calls for grilling, but you could just as easily poach or pan fry the salmon and could also finish is quick under the broiler if you wanted a crispy top...Maybe you two could go berry picking, depending upon when his bday is and what's ripe

Grilled Salmon with Blackberry-Cabernet Coulis
    PREP AND COOK TIME: About 50 minutes
    NOTES: The berry sauce should be nicely balanced between sweet and tart; judge the amount of sugar to add by the sweetness of the fruit.
    MAKES: 6 servings

1 cup Cabernet Sauvignon or other dry red wine
    2 1/2 cups blackberries, rinsed and drained
    2 tablespoons minced shallots
    2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
    2 to 3 tablespoons sugar
    1 tablespoon butter or margarine
    6 salmon steaks (1 in. thick, 6 to 7 oz. each)
    Salt and pepper

1. In a food processor or blender, combine wine and 2 cups berries; whirl until pured. Rub berry mixture through a fine strainer into a 1 1/2- to 2-quart pan; discard residue. Add shallots, ginger, and 2 tablespoons sugar. Bring berry mixture to a boil over high heat, and stir often until reduced to 1 cup, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in butter and more sugar to taste (see notes).

2. Rinse salmon and pat dry. Coil belly strips of fish into center of steaks and secure each portion with a small skewer (such as the kind used for trussing turkeys).

3. Lay salmon on an oiled grill over a solid bed of hot coals or high heat on a gas grill (you can hold your hand at grill level only 2 to 3 seconds); close lid on gas grill. Cook fish, turning once, until opaque but still moist-looking in center of thickest part (cut to test), 7 to 10 minutes.

4. Set a salmon steak on each of 6 warm plates (remove skewers if desired). Spoon berry coulis (if cool, stir over high heat until warm, about 1 minute) equally over steaks. Garnish with remaining 1/2 cup whole berries; add salt and pepper to taste.

Per serving: 344 cal., 47% (162 cal.) from fat; 30 g protein; 18 g fat (4.5 g sat.); 13 g carbo (2.7 g fiber); 110 mg sodium; 93 mg chol.
    If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in! Shel Silverstein, Where the Sidewalk Ends.

I was going to suggest the Brown Sugar Chipotle Salmon, that zackaboo posted, which we love.

Another good one:

Spicy Honey-Rum Salmon

Recipe By :
    Categories : Easy with Marinating seafood and fish

1/4 cup dark rum
    1/4 cup honey
    1/4 cup lime juice
    3 tablespoons cilantro
    2 cloves garlic -- crushed
    1 1/2 teaspoons ginger root
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon pepper
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 teaspoon Scotch bonnet chili
    4 salmon fillets

Mix rum-salt. Marinate salmon 2 hours. Pat dry. Sprinkle with pepper and chilies.

Heat oil. Pan-fry salmon skin-side up first, 3-4 mins. Turn and cook 5 mins. Garnish.

Source:
    "Unknown"
    Ratings : Excellent 9 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 336 Calories; 9g Fat (27.6% calories from fat); 35g Protein; 21g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 88mg Cholesterol; 385mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 5 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Can also use habanero or jalapeno

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

CL's Sweet Orange Salmon is our personal favorite right now. We make salmon at least once or twice a week, so we have about a half dozen T&T recipes. However, my DH is hooked on this one right now.
    "If you're lucky enough to live in the mountains, you're lucky enough."

Quote Originally Posted by NewMrsG View Post
    I was going to suggest the Brown Sugar Chipotle Salmon, that zackaboo posted, which we love.

Another good one:

Spicy Honey-Rum Salmon
    You have been holding out on me! That look really good! Thanks for sharing.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. - Anonymous

We had the Sweet Orange Salmon for dinner tonight and it was delicious! It will definitely be a repeater around here. Thanks for sharing PattiA!
    "Nobody likes beets, Dwight! Why don't you grow something that everybody does like? You should grow candy" -Michael Scott

This is my favorite salmon recipe and whenever my sister comes to town she requests this one:

Pineapple Teriyaki Salmon

You can round out the meal with sauted haricots verts and quick-cooking couscous.

2 tablespoons brown sugar
    2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
    1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
    1 (6-ounce) can pineapple juice
    1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
    2 teaspoons canola oil
    4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets (about 1 inch thick)
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    Grated orange rind (optional)

Combine first 4 ingredients and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small saucepan over high heat, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until reduced to 1/4 cup (about 15 minutes). Set aside.
    Preheat oven to 400.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle both sides of salmon with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Add fish to pan; cook 3 minutes. Turn fish over and place in oven; bake at 400 for 3 minutes. Remove from oven; brush 1 tablespoon sauce over each fillet. Return to oven, and cook 1 minute or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness. Sprinkle with orange rind, if desired.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 salmon fillet)

CALORIES 339 (41% from fat); FAT 15.4g (sat 3.3g,mono 7g,poly 3.9g); IRON 1mg; CHOLESTEROL 87mg; CALCIUM 34mg; CARBOHYDRATE 11.2g; SODIUM 644mg; PROTEIN 36.8g; FIBER 0.2g

Cooking Light, MAY 2006
    Sue

Women are Angels
    And when someone breaks our wings, our spirit, or our hearts...
    We simply continue to fly.........
    on a broomstick...
    We are flexible like that ....

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
    My DH requested salmon with a sweet sauce or glaze for his b-day dinner. Our T&T is the salmon with maple glaze and toasted almonds, but I would like to try something new and maybe a dish I can steam or cook on the stove, because it will be hot and I don't want to use the oven.

Ideas? Thanks.
    Can you share your T&T salmon recipe?
    Helene

''In cooking, as in all the arts, simplicity is the sign of perfection.''
    -Curnonsky

My Blog: La Cuisine d'Helene

Twitter: @lacuisinehelene

then we can learn to do

I found this recipe for Maple Roasted Salmon on website for heart-healthy recipes from The Mayo Clinic
    The whole list of recipes seems well worth exploring.
    We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
    -M. Acklam

Here is the T&T, Helene.

I think all these recipes look good but I am going to try the sweet orange salmon because it has several flavors that DH likes and will go well with my side dishes.

Thanks so much!

Salmon with Maple Syrup and Toasted Almonds

6 (6-ounce) salmon fillets
    Cooking spray
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup maple syrup
    3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    4 teaspoons sliced almonds, toasted

Preheat oven to 425.

Place fillets in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine sugar, syrup, soy sauce, mustard, and black pepper; pour sugar mixture over fillets. Cover with foil; bake at 425 for 10 minutes. Remove foil; sprinkle the fillets with almonds. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Serve with sugar mixture.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 fillet and about 2 tablespoons sugar mixture)

CALORIES 396 (44% from fat); FAT 19.4g (sat 3.8g,mono 7.1g,poly 6.9g); IRON 1.2mg; CHOLESTEROL 100mg; CALCIUM 46mg; CARBOHYDRATE 19.1g; SODIUM 435mg; PROTEIN 34.7g; FIBER 0.3g

Cooking Light, AUGUST 2003
    For you to be here now, trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you. It's an arrangement so specialized and particular that it has never been tried before and will only exist this once.

Thanks, looks good
    Helene

''In cooking, as in all the arts, simplicity is the sign of perfection.''
    -Curnonsky

My Blog: La Cuisine d'Helene

Twitter: @lacuisinehelene

Jessica, I had an idea for a BBQ Roasted Salmon that CL had several years ago. I went searching for it, and found a post by you and you reviewed the recipe, saying that your DH liked it and it was a repeater. So, I just had to post I know this recipe calls for baking in the oven but I always do it on the grill.

I don't know if its too late or not yet, but here is the recipe:

Barbecue Roasted Salmon

From_Cooking Light

1/4_ cup_pineapple juice
    2_ tablespoons_fresh lemon juice
    4_ (6-ounce) salmon fillets
    2_ tablespoons_brown sugar
    4_ teaspoons_chili powder
    2_ teaspoons_grated lemon rind
    3/4_ teaspoon_ground cumin
    1/2_ teaspoon_salt
    1/4_ teaspoon_ground cinnamon
    Cooking spray
    Lemon slices (optional)

Combine first 3 ingredients in a zip-top plastic bag; seal and marinate in refrigerator 1 hour, turning occasionally.

Preheat oven to 400.

Remove fish from bag; discard marinade. Combine sugar and next 5 ingredients (sugar through cinnamon) in a bowl. Rub over fish; place in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400 for 12 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Serve with lemon slices, if desired.

Yield: 4 servings

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 314(42% from fat); FAT 14.7g (sat 2.5g,mono 6.9g,poly 3.3g); PROTEIN 35.3g;

Here is the thread, by the way.
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

Quote Originally Posted by zackaboo View Post

Charred Sugar-Crusted Alaska Salmon

Recipe By :

Dry Sugar Rub:
    2 Tablespoons sugar
    1 Tablespoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    1/2 Tablespoon ground cumin
    1/2 Tablespoon paprika
    1/2 Tablespoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
    dash of cinnamon

4 -4 oz salmon fillets -- skinned
    2 Tablespoons olive oil

Blend all ingredients for dry sugar rub.

Generously coat one side of each salmon fillet with mixture.

Heat oil in large pan over medium-high heat. Carefully place fillets in pan - seasoned side down. Cook about 2 minutes to sear; turn fillets over. Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking 6-8 minutes. Cook just until fish is opaque throughout.

Source:
    "Reid's cooking class 4/06"

NOTES : Rule of thumb: 10 minutes of cooking time per inch thickness of fish.

We had this for dinner this evening - it was terrific! A new one for our list of favorite salmon dishes.

Thanks zackaboo! You know I'd never hold out on you, by the way. I also have a great recipe for strawberry chicken if you want it (this is a personal joke based on a cooking disaster when Zackaboo and her family visited us for dinner - you wouldn't want me to post the recipe. )

Red face

We had this for dinner this evening - it was terrific! A new one for our list of favorite salmon dishes.

Thanks zackaboo! You know I'd never hold out on you, by the way. I also have a great recipe for strawberry chicken if you want it (this is a personal joke based on a cooking disaster when Zackaboo and her family visited us for dinner - you wouldn't want me to post the recipe. )
    So glad you liked it! That is one that I haven't made in a long time but I got it from a cooking class that I took a couple of years back.

If only my DH liked the fruit and meat combination...I would definitely ask for your strawberry chicken recipe. It was a definite deviation from the intended recipe but (as I have told you several times already) hardly a disaster!

I tried the Sweet Orange Salmon and all our guests liked it, including my 2-year-old DS. My MIL said she liked it even better than the maple salmon. I cooked it on the stove but it made a mess and I would use the broiler next time.

I served this with a mango-cucumber salad and a wild rice dish I created.

Bumping up this very old thread to say that we had CL's Sweet Orange Salmon Saturday night, and it was absolutely wonderful. It had most likely been two years since I'd made it as we have so many salmon recipes we love. Our winter has been unseasonably warm, so my DH grilled it. I served it with corn pudding made with corn I put up last summer, roasted asparagus, and a big salad. We felt as though we were in a fine restaurant!

Denise

Not just salmon

Quote Originally Posted by dcollier View Post
    Bumping up this very old thread to say that we had CL's Sweet Orange Salmon Saturday night, and it was absolutely wonderful. It had most likely been two years since I'd made it as we have so many salmon recipes we love. Our winter has been unseasonably warm, so my DH grilled it. I served it with corn pudding made with corn I put up last summer, roasted asparagus, and a big salad. We felt as though we were in a fine restaurant!

Denise
    Once I prepared too much of the orange spice mix and found it was excellent for pork chops too
    We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
    -M. Acklam

Oh that sounds wonderful!

Spicy Honey-Rum Salmon

Recipe By :
    Categories : Easy with Marinating seafood and fish

1/4 cup dark rum
    1/4 cup honey
    1/4 cup lime juice
    3 tablespoons cilantro
    2 cloves garlic -- crushed
    1 1/2 teaspoons ginger root
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon pepper
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 teaspoon Scotch bonnet chili
    4 salmon fillets

Mix rum-salt. Marinate salmon 2 hours. Pat dry. Sprinkle with pepper and chilies.

Heat oil. Pan-fry salmon skin-side up first, 3-4 mins. Turn and cook 5 mins. Garnish.

Source:
    "Unknown"
    Ratings : Excellent 9 - - - - - -
    I agree that this is excellent, but I did it different. I put everything except the salmon into a ziplock baggie, then the salmon and let it marinate then grilled the salmon. It was great! Thanks for the "heads-up."

Always nice to review salmon recipes. Just about every recipe for salmon is great. I copied the Barbecue Roasted Salmon for days I can't cook out.

Quote Originally Posted by zackaboo View Post

Brown Sugar Chipotle Salmon with Honey Berry Glaze

I tried this last night for supper, the brown sugar rub was excellent, could see using it on chicken or pork as well.

The honey berry sauce had great flavour but I found that the strength of the salmon and brown sugar rub overpowered the honey berry glaze. At $4 for a cup of blackberries, I'm don't think I would do the glaze again.

I did have some leftover salmon and added it to my salad greens along with some whole blackberries. The whole blackberries and the salmon went really well together I this I enjoyed more than the honey berry glaze.