Community Message Boards

Thread: rev: Fish Tacos with Chipotle-Lime Sauce

Thumbs up rev: Fish Tacos with Chipotle-Lime Sauce

I got this recipe from culinate.com, and boy did we love it. I'd say that, with the mango salsa, these were even better than the fish tacos at my favorite local restaurant (and I eat a lot of fish tacos!). I grilled a piece of halibut on the barbecue and served them with rice and beans as a side. They're good enough that we're planning on making them again on Monday when we have friends over

Amy

Fish Tacos with Chipotle-Lime Sauce
    By Carrie Floyd, from the Culinate Kitchen collection
    Serves 4
    Total Time 40 minutes
    Introduction
    Many condiments — guacamole, sour cream, salsa — taste good on fish tacos. When mangoes are in season, I like to follow the mango salsa recipe listed below; when pressed for time, however, I substitute a prepared fresh salsa purchased from the store. If you have leftover sauce and cabbage, toss the two together to make a quick slaw for another meal.

Ingredients
    Fish
    1 lb. flaky white fish, such as halibut, tilapia, sole, or snapper
    4 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
    2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
    2 Tbsp. soy sauce
    Sauce
    ⅓ cup mayonnaise
    ⅓ cup low-fat yogurt
    ⅓ cup sour cream
    2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
    1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, finely chopped
    1 garlic clove, finely chopped or pressed
    ~ Salt
    Tacos
    10 to 12 corn tortillas
    ~ Mango Salsa
    3 cups shredded cabbage
    Steps

1. Prepare the fish marinade by combining the fresh lime juice with the vegetable oil and soy sauce in a rectangular glass or ceramic dish. Add the fish, turn to coat, and leave to marinate while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
    2. Prepare the chipotle-lime sauce by combining the mayonnaise, yogurt, sour cream, lime juice, chipotle chile, and chopped garlic in a bowl. Season to taste with salt.
    3. Remove fish from the marinade and grill or sauté until cooked through. Warm the tortillas (see Note). Set out individual bowls of the sauce, salsa, and shredded cabbage.
    4. For each individual taco, place some of the fish (breaking off chunks of the cooked fillets) on a tortilla, drizzle with the chipotle-lime sauce, and top with cabbage and mango salsa.

Mango Salsa
    By Carrie Floyd, from the Culinate Kitchen collection
    Total Time 15 minutes

Ingredients
    2 bell peppers (red, yellow, and/or orange), deseeded and chopped into ¼-inch squares
    1 small red onion, finely chopped
    1 jalapeño pepper, deseeded and diced
    3 just-ripe mangoes, peeled and chopped into ½-inch square chunks
    1 bunch cilantro, washed, dried, destemmed, and chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    ~ Juice of 1 lime
    ~ Salt to taste
    Steps

1. Mix everything together in a medium-large bowl and season to taste with salt.

Thanks for posting! We just had a "fish taco night" at my house a couple of months ago with some friends (did a fried and a grilled version). Even the hesitant of the group loved them (fish tacos aren't exactly a mainstay in the midwest )We vowed to do it again soon and I will deifinitely try this recipe then.
    - Kiran

I love fish tacos. Unfortunately, there are no restaurants around here that sell them. DH doesn't like them, so I don't fix them at home.

Thanks for the recipe.

I just went to Bonefish Grill on Monday and had their fish tacos, which are wonderful. Your recipe seems similar, although I know their fish was deep fried. I will definitely try these at home -- thanks for posting!

Kate