Thread: For those grilled pizza fans...

Hybrid View

For those grilled pizza fans...

I can't get the picture to show, help!

If you have $2,000

New Beehive Pizza Oven
    Williams and Sonoma Catalog
    Internet/Catalog Only

Bring the pleasures of cooking in a terra-cotta, wood-fire oven to your backyard or deck. Wonderful for entertaining, this authentic European oven can bake everything from crisp-crusted pizzas and rustic breads to juicy roast chicken with a crackling golden skin. Its very easy to use: Start by building a wood fire on the oven floor; when it reaches the desired temperature, push back the coals to expose a superheated baking surface. The beehive shape of the dome helps it to efficiently absorb and radiate heat, so foods cook quickly with a hint of rich, smoky flavor. Even at baking temperatures of up to 900F, the exterior surface remains warm, but not hot to the touch, thanks to the domes double-wall construction with an insulating layer.

Included is a metal-lined hardwood door that is easily installed for baking at lower temperatures or smoking.
    Fitted with wheels, the powder-coated steel stand doubles as a rack for firewood.
    A two-tiered cooking rack, metal pizza peel, metal turner, cleaning brush and protective cover are also included.
    35" diam., 25" high oven (59" high overall).
    The ceramic oven is made in Portugal; the base, in the USA.
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

Cool!!

You didn't copy the whole URL that's why the picture wouldn't show. Here you go:

Quote Originally Posted by SusanL View Post
    Start by building a wood fire on the oven floor. . . .
    Huh? Why is it that the more technologically advanced we become, we think it's better to abandon perfectly good kitchen appliances & return to methods used by early man??

Give me an oven w/thermostat, a pizza stone, & some A/C any day, & I'm good.
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

Quote Originally Posted by testkitchen45 View Post
    Huh? Why is it that the more technologically advanced we become, we think it's better to abandon perfectly good kitchen appliances & return to methods used by early man??

Give me an oven w/thermostat, a pizza stone, & some A/C any day, & I'm good.
    This pizza oven heats up to 900 - no home oven can do that! Although otherwise, I would agree with you. But a high temp oven like that does indeed produce a different kind of pizza, so if you're after that, I think it would be a lot of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    This pizza oven heats up to 900 - no home oven can do that! Although otherwise, I would agree with you. But a high temp oven like that does indeed produce a different kind of pizza, so if you're after that, I think it would be a lot of fun!
    I know. I was just being a smart-aleck. About to call out for pizza, in fact; it's been that kind of day.
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

Quote Originally Posted by testkitchen45 View Post
    I know. I was just being a smart-aleck. About to call out for pizza, in fact; it's been that kind of day.
    Sorry I missed the humor - I'm a little thick sometimes....

I almost called out for pizza tonight myself! We opted for Panera instead - it was faster

The oven instantly grabbed my attention in the catalog.

The price made me turn the page.

Ouch.
    Life ain't Certain. Ride Your Best Horse First

I wish I had an extra two grand lying around. That thing looks awesome!
    Write your hurts in sand, carve your blessings in stone.