Community Message Boards

Thread: How do you know when tofu is too old?

How do you know when tofu is too old?

I have a package of tofu (the kind that comes in liquid in the plastic tub with clear plastic sealed over the top) that is unopened and has a best-if-used-by date of about a week ago.

I don't worry too much about dates, and generally go by how something looks or smells...but what is tofu supposed to smell like? I guess if it smells "bad" in some way, I should throw it out? I can tell without opening it that it LOOKS ok...

I've used tofu way beyond that date before, so I'm guessing you're fine.

When you open it, it really shouldn't smell like anything. If it smells sour, toss it.
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."

Tofu (or its water ) has kind of a clean, bean-y, delicate smell. If it's bad, it will smell rotten. I opened a container of bad tofu once, and it was kind of bad egg smell, but not THAT strong.

If it is only a week, I would be pretty sure it's ok. Just poke a hole in the top and sniff.

Quote Originally Posted by Meganator View Post
    I have a package of tofu (the kind that comes in liquid in the plastic tub with clear plastic sealed over the top) that is unopened and has a best-if-used-by date of about a week ago.

I don't worry too much about dates, and generally go by how something looks or smells...but what is tofu supposed to smell like? I guess if it smells "bad" in some way, I should throw it out? I can tell without opening it that it LOOKS ok...
    I have had old tofu that was also discolored with the beginning of mold. Your week out of date may be no problem at all. I would pour out the water and rinse it.