Community Message Boards

Thread: What to do with 1/2 bag of cabbage mix, other than coleslaw?

What to do with 1/2 bag of cabbage mix, other than coleslaw?

I have a 1/2 bag of coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage and carrots) that I want to use up, and I'm not sure what to do with it. I'd rather not make the usual coleslaw type recipes, but that's the only thing I can come up with.

Any easy, light ideas would be great.

Many thanks,
    Last edited by applecrisp; 07-18-2008 at 10:12 PM.

Not sure what's in your mix but I like shredded cabbage on tacos instead of lettuce.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn1007 View Post
    Not sure what's in your mix but I like shredded cabbage on tacos instead of lettuce.
    Robyn, we are on the same page with this one...

-Heather

Mexican Pot Roast Tacos
    Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence, 2007

Show: Tyler's Ultimate

Episode: Ultimate Beef Tacos

2 pounds beef shoulder
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Extra-virgin olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, smashed
    1 large onion, sliced
    1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, (recommended: San Marzano)
    1 tablespoon ancho chile powder
    1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    3 bay leaves
    Vegetable oil, for deep frying
    6 fresh medium corn tortillas
    Kosher salt
    3 cups finely shredded white cabbage
    Guacamole, recipe follows
    1/4 bunch fresh cilantro leaves
    For the simple salsa:
    1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained, reserving the juice (recommended: San Marzano)
    1 small red onion, roughly chopped
    1 Serrano chile
    1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
    2 limes, juiced
    1/2 cup chopped cilantro leaves
    Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
    Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling

Season all sides of the beef with a fair amount of salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven, or other heavy pot that has a tight cover, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over moderately high heat. Add the garlic and the beef to the pot, browning the meat on all sides, taking the time to get a nice crust on the outside. Add the onion and allow to lightly brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the crushed tomatoes, plus 1 tomato can of water, spices, season with salt and pepper, to taste, and add enough water to cover the meat. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer with a lid for 3 hours until the meat is fork tender. Let meat cool in the liquid. Shred meat and set aside.

Heat a large pot of oil over medium heat. When oil reaches 350 degrees F, fry the corn tortillas 1 at a time. Place the tortilla in the oil and wait about 30 seconds. Then use the handle of a wooden spoon to press down into the center of the tortilla and fold it in the middle. Hold down for a few seconds waiting for the tortilla to form into taco shell and then drain on paper towels. Season with salt.

For the simple salsa:
    To make salsa, pulse all the ingredients, except the tomato juice, in a food processor. Add the reserved tomato juice if the salsa is too thick. Drizzle salsa with olive oil, cover with plastic wrap and set aside, allowing the flavors to marry.

To assemble the tacos:
    Lay some shredded cabbage as a base. Top with some shredded beef. Serve alongside Guacamole and salsa. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves.

Guacamole:
    6 ripe avocados
    3 limes, juiced
    1 medium yellow onion, chopped
    1 garlic clove, smashed then minced
    2 serrano chiles, cut into rounds
    1 big handful fresh cilantro with stems, about 1/2 cup, finely chopped
    Extra-virgin olive oil
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Halve and pit the avocados. With a tablespoon, scoop out the flesh into a mixing bowl. Mash the avocados using either a fork or potato masher, leaving them still a bit chunky. Add the remaining ingredients, and fold everything together. Drizzle with a little olive oil, adjust seasoning with salt and pepper and give it 1 final mix with a fork.
    Lay a piece of plastic wrap tight on the surface of the guacamole so it doesn't brown and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
    Yield: about 4 cups
    Finally blogging again at http://www.heathersblissfuljourney.blogspot.com/ Updated 1/4/12

How about adding it to an Asian stir fry?

regular salad

We also sometimes mix into our normal lettuce leaves as part of a salad.

Kimchi? A lot of Korean recipes use cabbage.
    "Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?" - attorney Bob Loblaw, Arrested Development

"Spend time with your kids so we don't have to" - Florida Dept. of Juvenile Justice bumper sticker

www.nostinkycheese.blogspot.com

I just made the cook's illustrated peanut noodles and used 1/2 bag of slaw sauteed (instead of the red peppers and spinach they call for). YUMMY.

I've also added it sauteed into a barley or rice dish to pump up veggie servings.
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Oldie but good!

I have subbed tofu for the rib-eye and skipped the beef flavored soup, vegetarian broth instead. It lowered the fat and calories a lot. Didn't use the beef flavor packet. Hope this is not too late.

Easy Asian Beef and Noodles

1 (8-ounce) rib-eye steak
    1 teaspoon dark sesame oil, divided
    1 cup (1-inch) sliced green onions
    2 cups prepackaged coleslaw
    2 (2.8-ounce) packages beef-flavor ramen noodle soup (such as Campbell's)
    1 1/2 cups water
    1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce

Trim fat from steak; cut diagonally across grain into thin slices. Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add steak and onions; stir-fry 1 minute. Remove steak mixture from pan; keep warm. Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil until hot. Add slaw; stir-fry 30 seconds. Remove slaw from pan; keep warm.
    Remove noodles from packages; reserve 1 seasoning packet for another use. Add the water and remaining seasoning packet to pan; bring to a boil. Break noodles in half; add noodles to water mixture. Cook noodles 2 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed, stirring frequently. Stir in steak mixture, slaw, and soy sauce; cook until thoroughly heated.

Yield: 2 servings (serving size: 2 cups)

CALORIES 489 (23% from fat); FAT 12.5g (sat 3.6g,mono 5g,poly 2.5g); IRON 6.3mg; CHOLESTEROL 55mg; CALCIUM 80mg; CARBOHYDRATE 68.1g; SODIUM 1152mg; PROTEIN 29g; FIBER 4.9g

Cooking Light, SEPTEMBER 1998
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

We really enjoyed this recipe for Clayudas from VT. It's a spicy bean mixture baked on flour tortillas, then topped with a lightly dressed cabbage mixture. Very different, easy, and quite tasty!
    Okay...it's time to pull up your big-girl panties and get on with it. (Seen on a bathroom wall.)

Visit my blogs: Cooking the Books

For recipes only, visit the companion blog: Cooked Up.

I have just stir-fried the cabbage mix with sesame oil as a veggie. Shredded carrots are good this way as well.
    Margaret

Add some slivered onion and use that mixture as a bed for roasting chicken thighs. Yummy!

I use it a lot in stir-frys a lot, too, as others have mentioned.
    The Blog is open again!
    http://singlegrrlkitchen.blogspot.com/

"If God had meant for corn bread to have sugar in it, he'd have called it cake." -- Mark Twain

I sauteed my bag of broccoli slaw with left over shredded cabbage and chopped onions in peanut oil, added a bit of soy sauce. Used the veggies to make a quick take on Egg Fu Yung.

Sasha