Community Message Boards

Thread: Can I still use my green beans, like now?

Can I still use my green beans, like now?

I purchased some green beans from the market last Saturday (not the day before yesterday...the Saturday before that) and I'm just now getting around to doing something with them (I am so sick of having a job that put me out of the house during dinnertime)(Yes, I'm having a bad day)

Anyhoo, a majority of my green beans have brown speckles on them - and it's not dirt. They still feel firm and when I cut into them they're nice and green. Can I still eat them?? I do plan on cooking them.

Thanks!
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."

Never mind, I did some research and it's a fungus or something.

Not a Good Thing.

I've tossed.

:mad:
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."

That's too bad that you had to toss them.

I was surprised to find that the fresh spinach I bought from the farmer's market - the same day you bought the green beans - was still good - we had it for dinner tonight.

I also bought green beans at the FM that day and shortly after the green beans in my garden started to come in. Too bad I can't send you some!

In addition to the beans I had to throw away most of the green onions I'd had. Too old - although I did salvage the white parts

I'm cooking the wilty kale though. Whoo.

[vent]Great, the one week I'm actually going to be around to cook and all of my produce has gone bad. What's the point of even going on Saturday if I'm going to be spending all of next week going to school in the mornings then working 12-8:30? I don't get home until almost 9 and will have to study after that. And to top it off I'm going to be old. And still single. Lovely.[/vent]

AHEM.

Thanks Alysha, for the sympathy!
    Erin

-generic

Quote Originally Posted by ErinM View Post
    And to top it off I'm going to be old. And still single. Lovely.[/vent]
    Hugs coming your way!

It's all temporary. Chin up girlfriend! Today is a new day.
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

And to top it off I'm going to be old. And still single. Lovely
    You're not alone! It's frustrating, I know!, but hang in there. Focus on what's in front of you right now - school - and the rest will shake out when it's supposed to. I know that's WAY easier for me to say than for you to take. If it makes you feel better, I've resided myself to the fact that there will be no dating in my life until the weeone is grown - she's 6 now, so that's a LOT of single years ahead and I'll be really old by then!
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

Never mind, I did some research and it's a fungus or something.

Not a Good Thing.

I've tossed.

:mad:

Uh oh. I frequently buy green beans that linger and have that brown tinge. Unless they look really bad, I've always cooked them up! They might taste a little old, but not bad in any way. Oh well. Guess I'll cook up those beans I bought on Saturday morning tonight!

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris415 View Post
    Uh oh. I frequently buy green beans that linger and have that brown tinge. Unless they look really bad, I've always cooked them up! They might taste a little old, but not bad in any way. Oh well. Guess I'll cook up those beans I bought on Saturday morning tonight!

Chris
    Huh. My green beans often have some brown spots on them - even at the farmer's market right when I buy them. I wonder if it's the same thing as what you're talking about. I packed some for my lunch today that have a few spots but they're still crisp as can be.

Sorry you had such a bad night, Erin!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris415 View Post

Chris
    Hmm. So maybe they would have been OK to eat. The spots were only on the surface after all, and it seems that if you blanch them (as is done when they are processed) they're OK to eat. I wasn't planning on blanching, which is why I wasn't sure. I'll say that in my research I never found anything that told me if they were OK to eat, just that "when selecting, pick beans free of brown spots and bruises". I'm prett sure they didn't have brown spots when I purchased them, but I don't recall as the farmer just shoved a few handfuls in a bag and handed them to me. Also, if I recall from my micro class, eating fungi generally don't hurt you...I mean, we eat mushrooms, after all which is one hunk of a fungi right there.

I don't know. Better safe than sorry, I guess!

And to everyone else - thanks! I've been pretty good about not letting anything "personal" bother me and focus on the school/work that I have in front of me. It just slips sometimes.
    Erin

-generic

If I pick green beans from my garden when they are wet they will develop brown spots in a short time - we call it rust but I have no idea what it really is - we eat them anyway (or blanch and freeze).
    Anne