Community Message Boards

Thread: Help with pasta salad amounts for wedding reception???

Help with pasta salad amounts for wedding reception???

OK - first of all here is my menu for a wedding reception for 175.

Polynesian Pork
    Rice
    Coconut Chicken on Skewers with Apricot Sauce
    Spinach Salad with Strawberries Mangoes and Candied Macadamia Nuts
    Grilled Asian Chicken Pasta Salad
    Chocolate Dipped Strawberries and 3 other mini desserts
    Lime Refresher- punch

Here is my pasta salad dressing and ingredients. How much pasta salad do I need for 175 with this menu. How much pasta do I need for each recipe of this dressing? Will this dressing and chicken be enough for 1 lb of bow tie pasta? Will it serve maybe 25? So, 7 X the recipe? I know I don't need chicken in the salad when I am serving the other meats, but it is so darn good in there that I'm adding that small amount.

Grilled Asian Chicken Pasta Salad

Dressing:

1/2 c rice vinegar
    1/2 c olive oil
    2 T sesame oil
    1/4 c toasted sesame seed
    2 ts mushroom seasoning
    2 ts kosher salt
    1 ts cracked pepper
    1/4 c sugar

Chicken:
    1 lb chicken breast

Marinate overnight in:
    2 ts soy sauce
    4 ts sesame oil
    2 T brown sugar
    1 ts rice wine
    3 slices fresh ginger root
    3 cloves of garlic, minced
    2 stalks of green onion, chopped

Grill, chop in small bite sized pieces.

Chop up cilantro, pea pods, green onions, grated carrot and toss with chicken and pasta. Let sit for 4 hours for flavors to combine. Toss with peanuts before serving.I might leave out the sesame seeds from the dressing and toss them in with peanuts before serving. Thoughts on this??? Thanks so much. I do better with parties of under 35. This is not my comfort zone. Darla
    Read and Feed!!!

I don't think that you can count on 25 servings, even "buffet dollops", from a pound of pasta. I'd go with 10x, myself. 175 people is a lot of people, and your buffet is well edited (not a zillion bowls of this and that) but that will lead to people taking a little more.

Also, while the chicken sounds good in there, if you add it, any vegetarians will be stuck with rice and spinach salad. Out of 175 people, I'd be surprised if there were not at least 10 vegetarians.

Your menu sounds delicious, BTW......

Oh - thanks for responding! That gives me something to go on. I don't want to run out of food.

I hadn't thought about vegetarians. Good call. Darla
    Read and Feed!!!

A version of Mastercook that I have came with a Food for 50 cookbook. I looked to see if there was a pasta salad recipe in it. It has a Pasta and Crab salad for 50 that calls for 24 ounces of radiatore pasta for 50 servings. It says that 24 ounces of dry pasta should yield 3 pounds of cooked pasta.

Your menu sounds great. One thought about the chicken skewers. I did a party for 30 this past weekend. One appetizer was chicken tenders marinated in coconut milk and spices. I baked them the day before and warmed them for serving. With chicken tenders, I find that the skewers take up so much room on the baking sheet that I can get more cooked in each batch if I cook them without the skewers and then insert the skewers after the chicken is cooked. Plus it always seems faster to insert the skewers in the cooked chicken than in the raw chicken. This works if you are baking them ahead and then either serving them room temp or warmed.

Here's the Pasta and Crab Saladrecipe for comparison.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pasta and Crab Salad

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 50 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Salad

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    24 ounces radiatore
    1 1/2 gallons water
    1 ounce salt (1 1/2 tbsp)
    3 3/4 cups Vinaigrette Dressing
    (Lemon Basil Dressing variation)
    2 ounces green onions -- finely chopped
    20 ounces thawed snow peas -- uncooked
    2 pounds crabmeat -- diced

Cook pasta according to directions on p. 369. Drain. Yield should be 3 lb cooked radiatore.

Add dressing. Toss to coat pasta. Chill to below 41F.

Add onions and snow peas. Toss.

Add crabmeat. Toss. Keep chilled below 41F.

Source:
    "Entree Salad Recipes"
    Copyright:
    " 2004 by Prentice-Hall, Inc."
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 167 Calories; 11g Fat (59.7% calories from fat); 5g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 14mg Cholesterol; 456mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Potentially hazardous food. Store for service at an internal temperature below 41F. Keep leftover product chilled below 41F. See p. 44 for cooling procedures.

Chilling ingredients before combining shortens the time product is in the temperature danger zone (above 41F).

Cooked shrimp, cooked scallops, or lobster may be substituted for crabmeat.
    my personal chef service: Anastasia's Table Personal Chef Service

Thanks PattiA. This is helpful information. Good tips.
    Read and Feed!!!

Here's a site that I use from time to time to help me gauge the amounts needed for events. They have a lot of good guidance for those over-100 people crowds.

http://members.tripod.com/~lotsofinfo/
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!