Community Message Boards

Thread: How to store fresh mozzarella?

How to store fresh mozzarella?

I bought a package of fresh mozzarella yesterday to serve with the first tomatoes and basil from our garden. It was delicious! We're having guests over for dinner Thursday night, so I'm hoping to serve it for them as well. This mozzarella was just in plastic wrap when I bought it. What is the best way to make sure it doesn't spoil before Thursday? Should I submerge it in water?
    Alicia

Honestly, I wouldn't serve it Thursday; mozzarella just doesn't have a long life.
    It sounds like this came shrink-wrapped, not in brine? If that's the case I would be reluctant to put it in one now. Maybe just wrap it thoroughly in plastic?
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

It might not be as good as it was when first purchased, but I'd use it. Last week, I put fresh mozz on a pizza and I know it had been in the fridge for over a week. It was wrapped in saran and then in a ziplock bag.
    <)>>< Candace ><<)>

I just rewrap it in the original wrapper making sure there are no exposed patches which might then dry out, and I put it in a small bowl because the mozzarella is always so wet!!

I discard the water and refresh with new water almost daily and it does hold up for at least 2 weeks if I haven't finished it up sooner.

I second Sue's way to store mozzarella cheese. I just love it, waiting for those fresh tomatoes to come in sometime soon...
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

I just keep it in the freezer without removing the seal . But after opening the wrapper I will use the whole cheese withing 7-10 day .

I don't know much about how long it can sustain when exposed t air / moisture .
    I see, smell, snap, cook and eat ***only*** easy recipes

We have had fresh tomatoes, basil, mozzarella almost every night since local tomatoes came in about a week ago. I buy the shrink wrapped mozzarella at TJs . It is not the stuff that comes in water, but I just put it in an airtight tupperware and it's good for 2 or 3 weeks (though this time of year it doesn't last that long.)

Gotta love that Caprese salad. Pretty much food is an accessory to tomatoes tight now

-Susan
    Be the person your dog thinks you are