Community Message Boards

Thread: How do I keep my scones fresh until morning?

How do I keep my scones fresh until morning?

I just made scones from sneezles' Beth Hensperger's Cream Scones thread.

They are absolutely perfect - a thin "crust" on top and so tender inside.

It's 8 pm our time and I am bringing them to work tomorrow.

I know for bread to keep the crust crispy you don't wrap it in plastic. Would that be the same for scones? Should I wrap them individually in paper towels or something and then put them all in a paper bag?

any help would be appreciated! they are so perfect right now I wish I could have made them in the morning but I leave too early.
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

Probably not what you want to hear--and I know I am on the picky side on this issue, but in my experience scones do not last well. I always freeze them in their unbaked wedges and then bake fresh that morning. Anyway since it is too late for that I would opt for the plastic--I would rather lose that crispy outer shell than risk them drying out.
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

Thanks - that's what I did. They are in individual zipper sandwich bags.

It never occurred to me they would dry out so thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Gracie View Post
    Thanks - that's what I did. They are in individual zipper sandwich bags.

It never occurred to me they would dry out so thanks!
    Although freezing them unbaked sounds great, would you mind posting back to share how they survived the plastic-baggie test? Thanks! I can't wait to try this recipe.
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

They're fine. Obviously they're not as amazing as they were hot out of the oven but for my colleagues who weren't that lucky they are great.

I can't tell you enough how easy these were and how amazing they taste! They're light and tender and not at all like the doorstops some scones can be.

Post back if you make them!!