Community Message Boards

Thread: snacks for kids--non refrigerated kind

snacks for kids--non refrigerated kind

Hello all!

School's starting again for us in a few weeks and I'm on the hunt for some new snack ideas to send with the kids to school. Each can bring a snack in addition to their lunches.

The biggest challenge I have is that they pull these out separate from their lunch kits so they do not stay cold. Even sitting inside for a couple of hours makes cheese and/or dips "yucky" per my DD! Also, my DS4's new preschool requires that all snacks be healthy and I know from others that the teachers will have a "talk" with the parents if you send things that are not considered healthy. I'm all for healthy snacks but it's a bit challenging.

Some ideas I already have (and have done) are:

--muffins or quickbread (usually-banana, blueberry, pumpkin, etc.)
    --nuts (esp. cashews or peanuts--but this can be limited b/c of other children's allergies--so far we've not run into that)
    --Peanut butter and graham crackers (same limit as before)
    --Pretzels
    --granola bars (DD7 doesn't like my homemade ones though so I try to buy as healthy as I can--any ideas? She doesn't love but will eat the Kashi TLC kind but prefers the kinds her friends have--i.e. filled with chocolate chips, marshamallows and of course HFCS!)

I think the teachers prefer that the "containers" be disposable but I am going to check and see if I can send something that is labeled and can be reused. That might open some options.

Any ideas you can provide are appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!
    What's On Your Plate Today?
    Find Inspiration and Get Organized at My Blog!
    Meal Planning Magic
    Find Me On Facebook & Twitter Too!

Cut up fruit and/or veggies are the major omissions from your list that I see.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

Hi Robyn,

Yep, I had thought of those but have had experience with them not traveling/storing well. I had also thought of fruit/veggies and dip too. Do you have any suggestions for storing them if they're to be sent in baggies (which I'm really hoping not--just don't like the waste of those)? I guess my kids get picky b/c if the veggies/fruit get 'dried out' then they won't eat them. Any since they'll be at their desks keeping them in water may not work. Prior to this year DD4 needed to have all fruit cut up b/c of possible choking hazards--a school rule. So that limits my fruit selection too b/c they they'll say it gets 'slimy' (i.e. melons, berries, etc.) My kids aren't THAT picky compared to many others I know but they do have those weird quirks it it doesn't look "right".

Hmm...I just thought of one other idea though...pita chips and hummus dip--it's ok if it doesn't stay refrigerated! Keep the ideas coming--thanks!
    Meal Planning Magic

What about dried fruit and crackers?
    “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed
    door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

Helen Keller (1880–1968)

I guess I've never felt that things like carrots, celery, red bell pepper strips and cherry/grape tomatoes get yucky or need any special treatment. For fruit, apples (with lemon/lime squeezed on to prevent browning), orange sections, bananas (can they peel their own at school), berries and grapes would all do well.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

Well, I am going to try sending more fruit & veggies and see if they can just get over things getting "slimy or dried out"! Thanks for the ideas.
    Meal Planning Magic

I send lunch and a snack for the weeone each day as well. I insist on sending a hard-side reusable container and had to "chat" with the teacher about that last year. The weeone's pretty responsible about it so I didn't see what the problem was. She also uses a Sig water bottle, so her snack drink was not disposable and they didn't seem to have a problem with that. Once that issue was ironed out -snacks were easier! I could send sliced apples with a glob of Peanut Butter in with it - sometime I would send this as a tortilla smeared with pb and topped with diced apples and wrapped up. Also, you can buy containers that have built-in cool packs - that would open up your snack options to any kind of cut fruit or veggies! I will sometimes freeze yogurt and send it - it's defrosted by snack time.
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

My son is going to have snack at 1:00. Last year his snack was at 9 so I could send in cut up fruit or veggies. This year will be tough.

One thing I sent in sometimes (especially if we were out of fruit) was boxes of raisins or other dried fruit. I also sent in the fiberful snacks from Trader Joes. I've even sent in popcorn before.

Quote Originally Posted by brendat4 View Post
    Also, my DS4's new preschool requires that all snacks be healthy and I know from others that the teachers will have a "talk" with the parents if you send things that are not considered healthy.
    Lol. I had to laugh at this. For three years now I've been sending DD to school with a "healthy" snack. We started out in K with carrot sticks, apples (whole, to be eaten as such), GORP, squeeze yogurts (frozen) and granola bar bites as our snack choices. Halfway through the year DD started complaining that everyone else got to bring chips, fruit snacks, Pop-tarts and snack cakes. Healthy was apparently all relative to what parents thought.

I've continued with the healthy snacks for three years now, my only allowance was that I started letting her take fruit snacks- particularly when I noticed that her lunch wasn't being eaten after a more substantial snack. One thing I never sent was anything "dippy". No veggie dip, no hummus, no PButter for dipping. Snack time is so short, plus I was running into issues of meals not being eaten from a too-substantial snack time. My thought was that I was really sending a snack to put a little something into my daughters tummy so that she isn't distracted by hunger before lunch. A handful of raisins or some goldfish crackers will do that trick just fine- no need for heavy dips or sandwiches/wrap things.

I had bought several of those small Gladware containers for her to use for sncak. That way, if she lost a container it wasn't a big deal. But her favorite snacks were always any kind of fruit. I tried to not pack fruit salad-y things as the individual fruits seemed to fare better on their own. Chunked cantaloupe survived the entire day just fine, but add some grapes or sliced banana and the whole thing turned to mush. Any fruit was always her favorite choice over anything else. Carrot sticks or whole baby bell beppers were fun too. Granola bars were also pretty standard.

If you have "issues" with anything about snack time, don't be afraid to talk to the teacher. They really don't mind questions and concerns.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

Okay - I just went and looked to see the name of the containers I bought last year that have built in cool packs - They're called Fit Fresh. I bought them at either Target or Bed Bath and Beyond or Linens and Things. The website where you can see them is http://fit-fresh.com/.
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

brendat4- I have the same issue. The only thing I can add to your list is seeds. I often send shelled sunflower or pumpkin seeds.

In addiiton to what's already been mentioned, I'll sent mini rice cakes, chex-like mix, pretzels, or cheese crackers.
    Stacy

how about the mini cups of apple sauce or pineapple bits and other "canned" fruits packed in juice? I keep some of those on hand for snacks.
    my personal chef service: Anastasia's Table Personal Chef Service

In addition to many of the things mentioned, my kids love to take dry cereal as a snack.

I use gladware containers for snacks because they are reusable but, as another poster mentioned, it isn't a big deal if they get lost.
    Claire

It doesn't matter what you think, just that you do.

I often did cheese stick and a few crackers. I would pack it in a container or ziploc and then put an ice pack in with it in a separate ziploc inside so she could just bring that baggie with the freezer pack home (I would just keep them in the baggie in the freezer, so not wasting too many baggies).

Lisa

These are all great ideas--thanks everyone! We will for sure be able to expand our selections now. Mrswaz...thanks for all your tips too...I am already planning a talk with the teacher about DS4 being able to bring reusable containers to school--maybe by talking to her, I can hopefully help other parents in the class wanting to do the same thing!
    Meal Planning Magic