Community Message Boards

Thread: What makes a Biscotti cookie crunchy

What makes a Biscotti cookie crunchy

Hi there - recently i was visiting my aunt in Conn. and she was given a bag of home-made chocolate biscotti. My vacation became a baking war. We had to learn how to make these amazing biscotti's. Problem was, not one batch even came close to the original recipe. The cookie we loved was airy and crunchy. Our biscotti kept coming out more like a cake in texture (had nothing to do with the double baking, the texture itself was like cake).

So my question is, does anyone have a recipe that makes a biscotti airy and crunchy? or what makes a biscotti crunchy? please help, i have cookies everywhere....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Not sure, but I thought it was the double baking. My friend makes them all the time and only bakes them once which is how I like them. I can check with her later and see if she has another recipe for what you are looking for.
    Karen

I agree it the length of time in the oven

You can vary how crunchy these cookies are by how long you leave them in the oven during second baking. So, if you like them as I do, quite crunchy, bake them the full amount of time stated in the recipe.
    Here is a great site from the Joy of Cooking http://www.joyofbaking.com/biscotti/Biscotti.html
    Remember words have no flavour, you have to add your own!
    Michael Smith

Double baking is what makes biscotti biscotti---and a true biscotti recipe will (usually) have no butter in it, just eggs, and sometimes some oil. I'm in the middle of making 6 kinds to do a thank you basket for someone--DBF happens to prefer the ones that use some butter, he doesn't like the really brittle (okay, he calls it "hard and stale") ones.
    "Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
    Use an egg carton like everyone else and stop being such a poser." - The Little Book of Wrong Shui

Quote Originally Posted by patty520 View Post
    Hi there ..... The cookie we loved was airy and crunchy. Our biscotti kept coming out more like a cake in texture (had nothing to do with the double baking, the texture itself was like cake).

So my question is, does anyone have a recipe that makes a biscotti airy and crunchy? or what makes a biscotti crunchy? please help, i have cookies everywhere....
    When I think of "airy and crunchy" biscotti I think of biscotti without added oil or butter and I think of Corby Kummer's recipe for chocolate almond biscotti in particular; he published the recipe in his book "The Joy of Coffee".
    I find that you can increase the crunchiness or crispness of a biscotti by lengthening the baking time or turning off the oven at the appointed time, leaving them in the oven with the door closed or slightly ajar until cool. But to get a biscotti with crunch rather than crisp you really need to make a biscotti without oil or butter.
    Here's Corby's recipe if you haven't seen it before:

Unbeatable Chocolate Biscotti

from “The Joy of Coffee” by Corby Kummer

1-1/4 cups unblanched whole almonds
    1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
    2 Tbs instant espresso or coffee powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp salt
    4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (or 3/4 cup chocolate chips)
    3 large eggs
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 cup sugar

Toast almonds 10 minutes at 350̊, spread out on a baking sheet. Cool completely.
    Sift together the flour, cocoa, espresso or coffee powder, baking soda and salt into a small bowl. Place the chocolate chips in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Add ½ cup of the sifted dry ingredients and process until chocolate is very fine.
    In a large bowl, beat the eggs and vanilla just to mix. Add the chocolate mixture, the remaining dry ingredients and the sugar. Beat until combined. The dough will be stiff.
    Turn dough out onto a floured board and knead together with floured hands. Knead in the almonds. Divide in two and roll each out on lightly floured board into a 12" log. Place each on a non-stick baking sheet. Bake at 300̊ for 50 minutes. Remove sheets from the oven and let cool 10 minutes. With a serrated knife cut each log on the diagonal into 1/2" slices. Place each slice standing up on the baking sheet and bake an additional 20 to 25 minutes. Turn off the oven, open the door , and let biscotti cool slowly.

Andy’s note: I also make a Gianduia version of this biscotti with toasted hazelnuts, skins removed, bittersweet chocolate, 1/4 cup skim milk powder, and without the coffee.
    Cheers! Andy

thank you for the responses...we did the double bake but keep finding that our biscotti's are coming out like a cake texture not the airy crunchy type like in the picture. My recipes are too dense, am i doing something wrong? how do i get that airy biscotti?

Can you post your recipe so some of our experts can look at it?

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

When was the last time you changed your baking powder? It could be it's not rising enough due to old baking powder or rising too much and collapsing due to using too much baking powder.

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn1007 View Post
    Can you post your recipe so some of our experts can look at it?
    here are a few of them...while the last two are not chocolate based, they too come out very cake like, we are looking for that crunchy, airy biscotti not the heavy cake type...thanks for your help...

Chocolate Almond Biscotti

1 cup whole Almonds, preferably blanched
    2 1/2 cups flour, plus flour for work surface
    1/2 cup Dutch-style cocoa powder
    1 tablespoon espresso powder
    Pinch of salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    3/4 teaspoon baking powder
    4 large eggs
    1 1/3 cups sugar.

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread hazelnuts on baking sheet and toast about 10 minutes, until lightly browned. If hazelnuts are not blanched, toast them until the skins begin to crack, then remove them from oven and wrap them in clean linen or cotton towel (not terrycloth). Rub hot nuts to remove most of the skin. Set toasted nuts aside.

2. Sift the flour, cocoa, espresso powder, salt, baking soda and baking powder together and set aside.

3. Beat eggs lightly, just until blended, in mixing bowl with whisk or in electric mixer. Remove two tablespoons of egg mixture to small dish and set aside. Beat sugar into remaining eggs until blended. Stir in flour mixture to form soft dough.

4. Divide the dough in half and place one portion on a well-floured work surface. (She is not kidding about this.) With floured hands, pat it into a six-inch square. Scatter half the hazelnuts on the dough and press them into the surface. Roll the dough into a cylinder about 2 inches in diameter and 12 to 15 inches long. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper and place the roll of dough on the baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough. Brush the tops of both rolls with the reserved egg.

5. Place in the oven and bake about 15 minutes, until firm to the touch. (This took me until 20 to 25 minutes.) Transfer to a cutting board and cut on an angle into slices one-half-inch thick. (I found that letting them cool for five minutes made this easier, as well as a sharp knife with a tight serrate.) Return the slices to the baking sheet, laying them on their cut sides, and return them to the oven. Bake another 20 minutes, until they are crisp and dry. Allow to cool completely before storing or serving.

Notes – I’ve read that rubbing egg yolk after cutting them makes them more crunchy. Also another important thing I read was to make the dough 24 hours prior to baking.

Another recipe is:

Ingredients

6 oz shelled and roasted hazelnuts
    1 cup whole-wheat flour
    ¾ cup flour
    3 oz miniature dark chocolate chips
    ½ cup unsweetened cocoa
    1 tbsp instant coffee powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    ¼ tsp table salt
    ½ cup sugar
    ½ cup brown sugar
    2 large eggs
    2 medium egg whites
    1 tbsp vanilla extract

Directions
    Preheat oven to 350°F.
    Line 2 large baking sheets with foil and spray the foil with non-stick cooking spray. Adjust the oven racks to divide the oven into thirds.
    In a food processor, combine ½ the hazelnuts, flour, ½ the chocolate chips, cocoa, coffee powder, baking soda and salt.
    Process until nuts are finely ground; transfer dry ingredients to a large bowl.
    In the same food processor (no need to clean), combine sugars, eggs, egg whites and vanilla until slightly thickened.
    Add dry ingredients. Stir in remaining hazelnuts and chocolate chips.
    Make 2 ropes of batter on each baking sheet, with space in between.
    Bake, reversing baking sheets once, until firm, about 17 minutes. Reduce oven to 300°F.
    Place logs on a cutting board. Cut with a serrated knife on diagonal into ½” slices.
    Place slices upright on baking sheets. Bake 20-25 minutes.
    Cool completely on wire racks. Store in an airtight container.

Spring Biscotti
    Ingredients

¼ cup butter, softened
    ¾ cup white sugar
    1 tablespoon orange zest
    ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 eggs
    1 egg white
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    ¼ cup white chocolate chips, chopped
    ½ cup dried cranberries, chopped
    1 ¼ cups pistachio nuts, chopped
    Method
    In a large bowl, cream together butter, sugar, orange zest, and vanilla with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Mix in eggs and egg white one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt; gradually blend into the creamed mixture using a wooden spoon. Stir in the white chocolate, dried cranberries, and pistachios. Cover, and chill for 30 minutes, or until dough is no longer sticky.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).

Turn dough out on a lightly floured surface, and divide into halves. Form each half into a flattish log about 12 inches long by 3 inches wide. Arrange logs at least 3 inches apart on baking sheet.

Bake for 30 minutes in preheated oven, or until pale gold. Allow logs to cool on the baking sheet until cool enough to handle. On a cutting board, cut logs crosswise on a diagonal into 1 inch thick slices. Arrange on baking sheet.
    Bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until golden. Transfer biscotti to wire racks, and cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.

Nonna Civita's Biscotti
    Ingredients
    7 cup flour
    6 egg
    1 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon cinnamon, heaping
    2 teaspoon baking powder
    8 ounce walnut pieces
    12 ounce chocoate chps
    1 ½ cup dark brown sugar
    ¼ cup milk
    2 teaspoon vanilla
    2 stick butter, softened
    Method
    Mix all ingredients, then roll into long "sausage-like" shape. Not too sticky. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, cut while warm at an angel, bake for 20 min on each side.

I watched Giada make biscotti on TV today. She looked good.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbeaux View Post
    I watched Giada make biscotti on TV today. She looked good.
    thank you, i'll check and see if i can see a re-run of the show.

Okay, so i figured out how to explain what i'm looking for...when you go to Starbuck's coffee and get the biscotti, they are crunchy and yummy. There has to be a procedure or a small change that changes why a biscotti is "cake like" vs "crunchy"...can anyone help with what makes the biscotti crunchy?

Are you talking about texture or hardness? If so, does cake-like mean they have a fine crumb? Because they can have a fine crumb and be hard (crunchy).

Quote Originally Posted by Angelina View Post
    Are you talking about texture or hardness? If so, does cake-like mean they have a fine crumb? Because they can have a fine crumb and be hard (crunchy).
    Thanks for the response, the texture is airy (not condensed like a cake) and there is snap when they break, they are very crunchy and hard to bite into (this is not from the twice bake).

There has to be something technical to making a biscotti this way. I would imagine that any recipe can be adapted to make it airy and snap...any ideas?

None whatsoever! I hate hard cookies and hard foods in general because my teeth break in pieces if I only look at those things.

I also hate dentists, so biscotti are off the menu for me.

Good luck though!

The only thing that I can share is that I would think that manaufactured process of making biscotti is different than home made. Maybe they use more eggs and/or in dry form which would make them dry.
    Double baking does make them harder but I guess that is not what you are looking for. Good luck

Try these, I have made them for years.

* Exported from MasterCook *

CHOCOLATE-CHIP BISCOTTI

Recipe By :Cooking Light March '95 pg 132
    Serving Size : 2 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Biscotti Cookies
    Desserts Low Fat

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 1/2 Cups Unbleached Flour
    1 Cup Semisweet Chocolate Mini-Morsels(or more)
    2/3 Cup Sugar
    1 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
    2 Tablespoons Water
    2 Teaspoons Vanilla
    2 Egg (or egg substitute)
    2 Egg White
    Vegetable cooking spray

Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl.
    Combine water and next 3 ingredients; add to flour mixture, stirring until well-blended (dough will be dry).
    Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead lightly 7 or 8 times. Shape dough into 4 long rolls. Place rolls on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray, and flatten rolls to 1-inch thickness. Bake at 350° (325° convection) for 25 minutes.
    Remove rolls from baking sheet to a wire rack, and let cool 10 minutes.
    Cut rolls diagonally into 24 (1/2-inch) slices, and place, cut sides down, on baking sheet. Reduce oven temperature to 325° (300° convection) , and bake 10 minutes. Turn cookies over, and bake an
    additional 10 minutes (cookies will be slightly soft in center but will harden as they cool). Remove from baking sheet; let cool completely on wire rack.

Yield:
    "90 pieces"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 789 Calories; 0g Fat (0.0% calories from fat); 19g Protein; 179g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 422mg Sodium. Exchanges: 7 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 4 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : This recipe has been DOUBLED from the original
    Can add 2 Tbsp. Grand Marnier or other Orange Liqueur, 1 Tbsp Orange Oil, 1 Tbsp Orange Zest and 1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Curleytop

patty....just found this website through Food Gawker. She describes them as crunchy. It is worth a try.

http://konosur.blogspot.com/2008/08/...-biscotti.html

Quote Originally Posted by Curleytop View Post
    Try these, I have made them for years.

CHOCOLATE-CHIP BISCOTTI

Recipe By :Cooking Light March '95 pg 132
    Desserts Low Fat

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 1/2 Cups Unbleached Flour
    1 Cup Semisweet Chocolate Mini-Morsels(or more)
    2/3 Cup Sugar
    1 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
    2 Tablespoons Water
    2 Teaspoons Vanilla
    2 Egg (or egg substitute)
    2 Egg White
    Vegetable cooking spray

Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl.
    Combine water and next 3 ingredients; add to flour mixture, stirring until well-blended (dough will be dry).
    Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead lightly 7 or 8 times. Shape dough into 4 long rolls. Place rolls on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray, and flatten rolls to 1-inch thickness. Bake at 350° (325° convection) for 25 minutes.
    Remove rolls from baking sheet to a wire rack, and let cool 10 minutes.
    Cut rolls diagonally into 24 (1/2-inch) slices, and place, cut sides down, on baking sheet. Reduce oven temperature to 325° (300° convection) , and bake 10 minutes. Turn cookies over, and bake an
    additional 10 minutes (cookies will be slightly soft in center but will harden as they cool). Remove from baking sheet; let cool completely on wire rack.

Yield:
    "90 pieces"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 789 Calories; 0g Fat (0.0% calories from fat); 19g Protein; 179g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 422mg Sodium. Exchanges: 7 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 4 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : This recipe has been DOUBLED from the original
    Can add 2 Tbsp. Grand Marnier or other Orange Liqueur, 1 Tbsp Orange Oil, 1 Tbsp Orange Zest and 1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    789 Calories??!! How can that be?
    Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Curleytop View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Goin' Coastal View Post
    789 Calories??!! How can that be?
    That is why... they put the serving size as 2 in Mastercook
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

Patty - I'm with you. It's not just the baking that does it. My go-to biscotti recipe is a CL one with coconut. I absolutely love the flavor. But, it doesn't have the true, classic crunchiness of a gourmet biscotti. It has some, but not enough really.

In fact, all CL biscotti recipes I've tried are not crispy & crunchy enough. They are more dense.

This would be a really fun quest....if it wasn't August with an insanely hot kitchen :-) I'm going to have to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by SusanMac View Post
    Patty - I'm with you. It's not just the baking that does it. My go-to biscotti recipe is a CL one with coconut. I absolutely love the flavor. But, it doesn't have the true, classic crunchiness of a gourmet biscotti. It has some, but not enough really.

In fact, all CL biscotti recipes I've tried are not crispy & crunchy enough. They are more dense.

This would be a really fun quest....if it wasn't August with an insanely hot kitchen :-) I'm going to have to wait.
    yeah, you get what i mean...i'm on a mission, i really want to understand how to make a biscotti that is not dense...you ready to be challenged? let's compare notes, i'd love that...patty

Out of all the biscotti recipes I've tried (and I've done a bunch, just did a big thank you basket for DBF"s surgeon & office staff with 6 different kinds) this one comes out the crunchiest and lightest. If you give it a try, you might want to cut it in half--it's a big yield. It came from Gail's Recipe Swap long ago--no clue who posted it there.

NANA'S ANISE BISCOTTI

2 cups sugar
    1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
    4 large eggs
    4½ cups all purpose flour
    4 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp salt
    1/3 cup brandy
    1½ tsp anise extract
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 cup whole almonds, toasted
    2 Tbl anise seed

Preheat oven to 350°. Line 2 heavy large baking sheets with foil. Beat sugar and butter in large bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Combine brandy, anise extract and vanilla extract in glass measuring cup. Add dry ingredients and brandy mixture alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Stir in almonds and aniseed. Drop dough by spoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets, forming two 2-inch-wide, 13-inch-long strips on each sheet. Moisten fingertips and smooth dough into logs. Bake until golden and firm to touch, about 40 minutes. Transfer sheets to racks and cool completely. Reduce oven temperature to 300°F. Transfer cooled logs to work surface. Using serrated knife, cut logs on diagonal into 3/4-inch-thick slices. Arrange slices on baking sheets. Bake cookies until dry and slightly brown, turning every 10 minutes, about 40 minutes (Last time I made these, instead of laying the slices flat, I stood them up so I wouldn't have to turn them--and I only went about 25 mins on the 2nd baking, which was plenty). Transfer to rack; cool.
    "Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
    Use an egg carton like everyone else and stop being such a poser." - The Little Book of Wrong Shui

I love biscotti and have made this Cashew and Cranberry biscotti recipe several times and to my mind it is light and crunchy, certainly it is as good as anything I have bought commercially. The recipe is on my blog -heres the link
    http://wwwthinkingaboutfood.blogspot...nly-fruit.html

Being on Weight Watchers I like the Naughty Biscotti recipe from Eat, Shrink & Be Merry! cookbook.

Naughty Biscotti

Makes 18 biscotti

Per Biscotti:
    96 Calories, 3.2g Fat, and .7g Fiber (2 WW Points)

2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/3 cup granulated sugar
    1/3 cup lightly packed brown sugar
    2 eggs
    1 egg white
    2 tbsp butter, softened
    1 1/2 tbsp grated lemon zest
    1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/2 cup chopped dried cranberries
    1/2 cup chopped pistachios

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and set aside.

Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.

In a large bowl, beat together both sugars, eggs, egg white, butter, lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla on medium speed of electric mixer. Stir in flour mixture using wooden spoon, just until blended. Dough will be thick. Add cranberries and pistachios and mix well.

Divide dough in half. On prepared cookie sheet, using lightly floured or greased hands, shape each half into an 8 x 3 x 3/4-inch loaf, placing loaves 3 inches apart.

Bake on middle oven rack for 20 minutes. Remove loaves from cookie sheet and cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Reduce oven to 275ºF. Transfer loaves to a cutting board. Using a very sharp knife, cut each loaf crosswise on a diagonal into 9 slices. (You’ll have some scraps from the end pieces, so go ahead and eat them. Everyone knows that scraps have zero calories.) Place slices, cut-side down, on same cookie sheet. Return to oven and bake for 8 minutes. Turn biscotti over and bake 8 more minutes. Cool completely on wire rack. Biscotti will harden as they cool.

If you were to make a list of the tastiest low-calorie snacks ever, and you checked that list twice, you’d discover this biscotti’s not naughty—it’s nice! Nice to your waistline and nice to share with a good friend over a hot cup of tea.

Biscotti, twice-baked Italian biscuits (cookies) served in hip coffeehouses, were part of Christopher Columbus’s food supply on his long voyages because of their mold-resistant properties. In fact, biscotti have a shelf life of fourteen hundred and ninety-two years (give or take)!

Tip: You can store these cookies for a month in the freezer in a resealable plastic bag.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer101 View Post
    Being on Weight Watchers I like the Naughty Biscotti recipe from Eat, Shrink & Be Merry! cookbook.

Naughty Biscotti

Makes 18 biscotti

Per Biscotti:
    96 Calories, 3.2g Fat, and .7g Fiber (2 WW Points)

2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/3 cup granulated sugar
    1/3 cup lightly packed brown sugar
    2 eggs
    1 egg white
    2 tbsp butter, softened
    1 1/2 tbsp grated lemon zest
    1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/2 cup chopped dried cranberries
    1/2 cup chopped pistachios

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and set aside.

Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.

In a large bowl, beat together both sugars, eggs, egg white, butter, lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla on medium speed of electric mixer. Stir in flour mixture using wooden spoon, just until blended. Dough will be thick. Add cranberries and pistachios and mix well.

Divide dough in half. On prepared cookie sheet, using lightly floured or greased hands, shape each half into an 8 x 3 x 3/4-inch loaf, placing loaves 3 inches apart.

Bake on middle oven rack for 20 minutes. Remove loaves from cookie sheet and cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Reduce oven to 275ºF. Transfer loaves to a cutting board. Using a very sharp knife, cut each loaf crosswise on a diagonal into 9 slices. (You’ll have some scraps from the end pieces, so go ahead and eat them. Everyone knows that scraps have zero calories.) Place slices, cut-side down, on same cookie sheet. Return to oven and bake for 8 minutes. Turn biscotti over and bake 8 more minutes. Cool completely on wire rack. Biscotti will harden as they cool.

If you were to make a list of the tastiest low-calorie snacks ever, and you checked that list twice, you’d discover this biscotti’s not naughty—it’s nice! Nice to your waistline and nice to share with a good friend over a hot cup of tea.

Biscotti, twice-baked Italian biscuits (cookies) served in hip coffeehouses, were part of Christopher Columbus’s food supply on his long voyages because of their mold-resistant properties. In fact, biscotti have a shelf life of fourteen hundred and ninety-two years (give or take)!

Tip: You can store these cookies for a month in the freezer in a resealable plastic bag.
    these sound great...i'm doing a batch right now so i'll report later on my progress. Thanks everyone!