Community Message Boards

Thread: Roast Beef - how long will leftovers last?

Roast Beef - how long will leftovers last?

The meat is not sitting in juice, it is just thick slices from a roast cooked to medium well. It was refrigerated right after serving.

How many days will it keep?

Thanks-
    Laurie
    Laurie

3-5 days, I believe is the norm for cooked meats. Personally, I wouldn't go past 3 days, but that's just my opinion.

I've done up to 5.

Invite me over for dinner!
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Any chance of keeping it in the defatted juices from the recipe, or some other liquid? I would think it'd dry out immediately w/o those juices, & might be like shoe leather a few days later.
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

Great thread! We just decided last week, to stop buying lunch meat-and start making our own! I was thinking of starting with roast beef myself!

I would really need something to make it 5 days, though. What would you guys suggest for that?
    Traveling the country writing about where we go, what we eat, where we stay, and taking a few pictures along the way. Sometimes I even update.

ServSafe says 7 days from the time it was cooked as long as it is held at 41F or lower. This is about being safe to eat not about taste/quality.

My personal choice is that I vac seal cooked sliced roast beef in multiple packages and use for 5 days. My fridge is set to 38F.
    my personal chef service: Anastasia's Table Personal Chef Service