Community Message Boards

Thread: Hatch Chile Time

Question Hatch Chile Time

What are some of your favorite uses for the hatch chiles? Im a yankee..living in TX so Im pretty new to them...and they are everywhere here right now and incredibley inexpensive! Id love to hear your ideas! Thanks!

Green chile chicken enchiladas, green chile stew, in CL's Roasted Chicken Chimichangas, smothering a chicken breast, on pizza, on cheeseburgers, mixed with cream cheese on a bagel.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

I think Central Market has a Hatch Chile cookbook; you might want to check that out.
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn1007 View Post
    Green chile chicken enchiladas, green chile stew, in CL's Roasted Chicken Chimichangas, smothering a chicken breast, on pizza, on cheeseburgers, mixed with cream cheese on a bagel.
    All of the above and....in eggs, green chile sauce, chile rellenos.

I'm so envious. When we lived in NM we would buy a bushel of green chiles, roast, peel and freeze them. Then we would have them all year. The smell of roasting green chiles is absolutely divine!

When we moved to TX my mom and dad would send us a bushel by UPS each year and we would do the same thing. Now that my father is no longer alive and my mom is ill we'll have to order them on the web if we want them in bulk, which I'm sure will be very expensive.

I haven't seen any here in the Atlanta area. Hmmm...I'll have check Harry's.

A really simple way is to cut into chunks and skewer with other vegetables for kabobs. I find that they have a similar flavor to bell peppers but are not bitter like green bell peppers.

I've also had them stuffed with cheese like poblanos for chili rellenos, time consuming but very good.

Talking

thanks guys! These ideas all sound terrific!

Whole Foods sells premade, uncooked Hatch Chile Burgers during the Hatch chile season. They are incredible! The ingredients are:

85% Lean Ground Beef
    Hatch Green Chilies, roasted & diced
    Sea salt
    cumin
    jalapeno
    parsley
    cilantro
    onion
    paprika

I've made my own at home -- just finely chop all the seasoning ingredients (I use my food processor) and mix into the ground beef. Don't be tempted to use extra-lean ground beef -- it makes a very dry burger.

I'm going to try making Hatch Turkey Burgers this year, as I'm off the beef (cholesterol issues )
    Cindi in KC

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot (1927-1956)

Wow, those chile burgers sound great! Thanks!

Here in Mesa, AZ, some of the Food City grocery stores have people outside roasting chilis over flame for sale several days a week. They're so cheap- I'm thinking $1/pound maybe. It's been a few years since I bought them. My car smells heavenly driving home with those in there. I got too lazy to peel and seed them and went back to buying canned when I made green chili.

I chop them up and put them in meatloaf.

Quote Originally Posted by TieKitty View Post
    All of the above and....in eggs, green chile sauce, chile rellenos.

I'm so envious. When we lived in NM we would buy a bushel of green chiles, roast, peel and freeze them. Then we would have them all year. The smell of roasting green chiles is absolutely divine!When we moved to TX my mom and dad would send us a bushel by UPS each year and we would do the same thing. Now that my father is no longer alive and my mom is ill we'll have to order them on the web if we want them in bulk, which I'm sure will be very expensive.

I haven't seen any here in the Atlanta area. Hmmm...I'll have check Harry's.

YES!! Love that smell. I plan to try the burgers posted by KCSoccer.

Tutalady, are you the same as the Tutalady over at SL? I lurk there at times but they don't have as many recipes as CL!