Community Message Boards

Thread: Rev: Chicken and artichoke

Rev: Chicken and artichoke

I found this Eating Well recipe on Cooking.com and found it to be quite nice:

Chicken and Artichokes

RECIPE INGREDIENTS
    1/2 cup flour, for dredging
    1-1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 whole chicken breasts, split in half to equal 4 pieces, all skin, fat, and bones removed
    1-1/2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    1 cup fresh, frozen, or canned cooked artichoke hearts or bottoms
    1/4 cup thinly sliced sun-dried tomatoes
    1/2 cup chicken broth
    Parsley, for garnish

DIRECTIONS
    Place the flour in a shallow bowl. Heat the oil in a nonstick pan. When the oil is hot, dredge the chicken in the flour, tap off the excess, and sauté until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Pour off the oil and add the garlic to the pan with the chicken, stir to combine. Add the parsley and salt, artichokes, and sun-dried tomatoes. Stir to combine.

Add the broth and bring to a boil. Cover, lower the heat, and simmer for 5 to 8 minutes, turning the chicken 2 to 3 times until cooked through.

Place the chicken on plates, arrange the artichokes and tomatoes around the chicken, and pour the sauce over all. Garnish with parsley.

I found the flavor nice and subtle. It is the first recipe with artichokes where that was the predominant flavoring and not overpowered by other ingredients. The chicken had a wonderful amber color from the carmelization. The sauce was light and gave a good coating. Turning the pieces in the pan assures even coloring. By my standards this was easy to make.

I saved other portions to try some alternatives:
    Splash of lemon, wine
    Greek herbs
    Feta
    All the above.

So far I love the splash of lemon - really brightens it. The Greek herbs started to dominate. We've all had the feta so for my last portion I am going back to some fresh lemon juice again.

This is definitely a repeat in my home.

That sounds right up my alley.
    The Blog is open again!
    http://singlegrrlkitchen.blogspot.com/

"If God had meant for corn bread to have sugar in it, he'd have called it cake." -- Mark Twain

Mine too! Thanks for sharing it with us.
    my personal chef service: Anastasia's Table Personal Chef Service

Sounds wonderful! Thanks for posting.
    The flavors should be very similar to a CL recipe for Chicken, Tomato and Artichoke Salad from 1995.
    I looked it up and found to my amazement that there were no reviews. I've made this salad over and over again since it was published and it's always a huge hit.
    We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
    -M. Acklam