Community Message Boards

Thread: Shell-on Deveined Shrimp?

Shell-on Deveined Shrimp?

Anyone know how to devein shrimp and leave the shell on?

I was watching Food Network earlier today, and Sunny was making No Fuss Peel 'n Eat Shrimp in the oven...looked great...but how do I devein the shrimp and leave the shell on?

The recipe calls for 1 lb. of "large shell-on deveined shrimp"

~Gail
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

I've seen them sold this way in the store, usually the frozen (or previously frozen) ones. If the ones you buy aren't done this way, you could always cut along the back with kitchen shears then rinse/pull out the "vein".

I often devein and leave the shells on for either sauteing or grilling. I just use the deveiner but leave the shell after removing the vein.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

"large shell-on deveined shrimp"
    These are marketed as "EZ Peel" shrimp and are widely available, if you don't want to do it yourself.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post
    These are marketed as "EZ Peel" shrimp and are widely available, if you don't want to do it yourself.

My only concern with frozen is the origin of the shrimp. Being spoiled by fresh Gulf shrimp I hesitate to buy frozen...I do buy "previously frozen" as labeled in the fishmonger's case but I buy it frozen rather than defrosted.

Good point, sneezles. It's highly unusual around these parts to see shrimp that's not previously frozen, so I wouldn't have to make that compromise. But Gail's in Florida, so I'm sure she's got great shrimp. Oddly, I don't even mind cleaning them, so I could always go help!
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by gabbyh View Post
    Anyone know how to devein shrimp and leave the shell on?

I was watching Food Network earlier today, and Sunny was making No Fuss Peel 'n Eat Shrimp in the oven...looked great...but how do I devein the shrimp and leave the shell on?

The recipe calls for 1 lb. of "large shell-on deveined shrimp"

~Gail
    Hi Gail, bummer, Publix had them on sale last week. In a bag, in the freezer section. They come 1lb and 1/2 in a bag. Publix brand/farm raised. They will do until the Florida wild pink are on sale

Gail, just went to Publix on line and look what they have on sale this week

Medium Florida Pink Shrimp
    $5.99 lb
    Previously Frozen, Wild Harvested, 41 to 50 per Pound

I don't think they are deveined, but who cares.

Oh, did I mention, I love shrimp. If you point me in the direction of the recipe, I would really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post
    Good point, sneezles. It's highly unusual around these parts to see shrimp that's not previously frozen, so I wouldn't have to make that compromise. But Gail's in Florida, so I'm sure she's got great shrimp. Oddly, I don't even mind cleaning them, so I could always go help!
    I dare say that I get my shrimp from the same Gulf as Gail. Unless you buy it on the coast, at least in Texas, it is frozen before it reaches the retail outlet. What the fish monger has in the case is labeled wild or farmed and sometimes not so prominently. I've never minded cleaning shrimp but love getting it from the guy that drives up from Palacios but it's hit and miss with him (hit I'm home when he passes through, miss I'm not...)

I use mkc's method of snipping the shell. I bought a cheap stainless-steel haircutting scissors to do it with. The blade is so thin, it slips easily between the shell of the shrimp and the meat.

Quote Originally Posted by sneezles View Post
    My only concern with frozen is the origin of the shrimp. Being spoiled by fresh Gulf shrimp I hesitate to buy frozen
    I agree (both on concern over the origin and preferring Gulf shrimp). Fortunately I've noticed that the country of origin is stamped on the back of the bags for the frozen ones and I have found Florida shrimp at one local grocer. Wish we still lived in H-E-B territory; they always had Texas Gulf shrimp.

Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by mkc View Post
    Wish we still lived in H-E-B territory; they always had Texas Gulf shrimp.

Michelle
    Didn't know HEB wasn't in North Texas! It is where I buy my shrimp.