Community Message Boards

Thread: How long can I keep fresh mozzarella (its in liquid)?

How long can I keep fresh mozzarella (its in liquid)?

I bought some great fresh mozzarella and I was wondering how many days I can keep it in the frig (it came in a container with liquid). Not sure if its just water.

I often find that fresh mozz has little taste to me, but this is great stuff. So if somehow I don't polish it off by tomorrow ..... how many days can it keep?

Thanks,

According to this:

How long does the little fresh mozzarella cheese balls stay fresh in the fridge after buying them from the deli?
    This semi-soft cheese can be refrigerated two to three weeks.
    ~Kim~

Nashville Restaurant Examiner - check out my page
    Check out my blog: Zen Kitchen http://onehotkitchen-kim.blogspot.com/

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    Dave Barry

Well them the few mozzarella pieces that I have left will be fine until the weekend. If I don't finish it before that. If I had some good bread around, no way would it last until Saturday.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks for asking that question. I wondered the same thing.

I bought some mozzarella a couple of weeks ago and thought we would have some leftover. We didn't. But, it's good to have this information in the old knowledge bank.

I bought some fresh mozzarella recently, and it had an expiration date of 2 weeks from that date.

I believe that this was asked before but I will answer again for those who didn't see it. I replace the water at least every other day so that the cheese will keep longer and not get sour. The cheese should last about 2 weeks maybe 3 but I never had it sitting more than 2 weeks.

I do the same as Mamasue - replace the liquid (it is water) with fresh every day or two.

Thanks again for the info on how long it will typically keep. And,I've never heard of changing the water, will certainly do that next time. But I see a definite problem with that..... I can so see myself changing the water and grabbing a taste, and another taste, and another...

So I polished off the last of the fresh mozzarella so didn't even get to a week, let alone two.

Thanks for the input.

Actually, it's a brine not plain water. But I don't know the water/salt ratio expect to say I once overdid it on the salt and...ewwwww.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I buy my feta in a brine too and the owner told me not to change it.......so, I don't. And just use it for salads, etc. within a couple of weeks.