Community Message Boards

Thread: Ridiculously easy crockpot cheese grits recipe to share.

Thumbs up Ridiculously easy crockpot cheese grits recipe to share.

Had a crazy weekend; TG I started dinner Saturday morning! This recipe for cheese grits was wonderful, and stupid-simple. Great combo for a weekend. Wanted to share it with anyone else who's short on time these days; enjoy! Dinner was great: pot roast with potatoes, carrots, & mushrooms in the 6-quart crockpot; cheese grits in the 2.5-quart crockpot; and CL's Carrot-Pineapple Slaw chillin' in the fridge.

BTW, I think I got the grits recipe off the Internet (source below) w/o any input from the CLBB (which I usually note in MasterCook); if I'm wrong, please let me know. As usual, I've added my prep notes.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Southern Cheese Grits (Slow Cooker)

Recipe By :Surprisingly flavorful (with cheese and butter) for such an easy recipe.
    Serving Size : 8
    Categories : Bread (Misc) or Starch Entertaining
    Family Meal (Simple)
    Side Dish Slow Cooker

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    5 cups water
    1 cup grits (standard, NOT quick grits!)
    3/4 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 cup cheddar cheese (I use finely shredded
    extra-sharp 2%-milk Cheddar, Kraft brand)
    1 tablespoon butter

Combine ingredients in crockpot. Cover and cook on LOW 6-8 hours (may not
    need all this time).

Before serving, add butter and cheese.

Don't be alarmed if there's a lot of water (mostly condensation) on top of
    the grits after they're cooked. After a few moments of stirring, the water
    mixes right in. Also, you might get a slight thin crust along the edges
    and bottom of the crockpot (not burned, just crusty). This is no big deal.

Source:
    "From crockpot.cdkitchen.com"
    S(Internet Address):
    ""
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 97 Calories; 2g Fat (20.3% calories
    from fat); 3g Protein; 16g Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 5mg
    Cholesterol; 239mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2
    Fat.

Serving Ideas : Reheated grits get lumpy. To reheat, you'll need to whisk in a little more liquid--so the stovetop will be better and easier than the microwave for reheating.

Original recipe says that 1 cup grits = 4 servings. These are huge servings! So I changed MasterCook to say 8 servings, which seems more reasonable.

NOTES : For the 1-cup-grits recipe, I use my 2.5-quart
    crockpot. It could hold more (maybe 1.5x), as the
    total volume doesn't expand during the cooking process.
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

Thanks! We love cheese grits and it would be great to be able to make them in the crock-pot. I can't wait to try it out!
    The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. - Anonymous

Sounds yummy. One day when I have a family I'll be able to try things like this. I can't imagine what I would do with 8 servings of grits right now though.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn1007 View Post
    Sounds yummy. One day when I have a family I'll be able to try things like this. I can't imagine what I would do with 8 servings of grits right now though.
    Potluck dinner with friends after a hard day of skiing, maybe?

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

Quote Originally Posted by testkitchen45 View Post
    Potluck dinner with friends after a hard day of skiing, maybe?
    Maybe some day up in the mountains. Down here we all live in different parts of the city so we all split and run. But, it's a good thought, maybe I'll just have to strong arm some of them one day.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

Grits are GREAT leftovers. You can reheat with a little added water, OR chill in a loaf pan, slice, and pan-fry. (Just like polenta ...)
    The Blog is open again!
    http://singlegrrlkitchen.blogspot.com/

"If God had meant for corn bread to have sugar in it, he'd have called it cake." -- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by funniegrrl View Post
    Grits are GREAT leftovers. You can reheat with a little added water, OR chill in a loaf pan, slice, and pan-fry. (Just like polenta ...)
    But 8 servings is still a bit much.

I don't think I have ever made grits. This recipe sounds good though. I only have a 5-quart crockpot. Hmm...maybe a little shopping is in order. I'd like to have a smaller one just for making side dishes like this. Thanks for the post.
    TKay

Quote Originally Posted by TKay View Post
    I only have a 5-quart crockpot. Hmm...maybe a little shopping is in order. I'd like to have a smaller one just for making side dishes like this. Thanks for the post.
    The CLBB Shopping Fairy strikes again! I see she's sitting on your shoulder now. Has happened to me several times (rice cooker, KA cookbook, etc.) .

I imagine you could make a whole vat of this stuff in a bigger crockpot, such as for a big casual buffet. I think I'd violate the "no stir" rule for crockpots, though, & give it a stir a few times throughout the cooking process. If you make it, esp. in your 5-quart, pls. post back.

But 8 servings is still a bit much.
    Not for me, it's not.

Bob

Cheese Grits

You haven't lived until you have added one or two cloves of garlic to your cheese grits--out of this world! I won't eat them any other way since discovering this recipe. Normally I bake them at 350 for 1 hour with some extra cheese on top, but I am going to try the crock pot method for a luncheon at work. Try the garlic--you will love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Starwriter View Post
    You haven't lived until you have added one or two cloves of garlic to your cheese grits--out of this world! I won't eat them any other way since discovering this recipe. Normally I bake them at 350 for 1 hour with some extra cheese on top, but I am going to try the crock pot method for a luncheon at work. Try the garlic--you will love it!

How do you handle the garlic? Peeled? Unpeeled? Do you fish the cloves out at the end?

Thanks!

Kay