Community Message Boards

Thread: CL Pickle recipe using pickling spice?

CL Pickle recipe using pickling spice?

Does anyone have the old CL recipe for an easy-to-make pickle using cucumbers and pickling spice? I've done several searches, but you know how it is now-- if you don't have the exact title, it's tough. I looked through many CL pickle recipes that aren't right; it uses a pickling spice blend if it's the right one. I'm afraid it's from a mag that's lost.

Quote Originally Posted by heavy hedonist View Post
    Does anyone have the old CL recipe for an easy-to-make pickle using cucumbers and pickling spice? I've done several searches, but you know how it is now-- if you don't have the exact title, it's tough. I looked through many CL pickle recipes that aren't right; it uses a pickling spice blend if it's the right one. I'm afraid it's from a mag that's lost.
    bumping this, 'cause i had already bought the ingredients that i remembered for this....

I tried to help but couldn't find the one you are asking about. I don't have the time to go do it but did you try and search the "cooking light indexes", I don't have the link for them but I am sure that someone can help out there. What about searching the recipes by month and year? Both of these ideas would take some time but you might be able to find it and maybe a little faster if you could narrow down about how old the magazine is. Good luck!
    "Everyone is kneaded out of the same dough but not baked in the same oven." - Yiddish Proverb

I don't think this is the right recipe, because it doesn't call for pickling spice. I will go try another search. But on the off chance, I will post this. I made it last summer and it was easy and tasty.

Easy Refrigerator Pickles

CL, August, 2007

Yield
    7 cups (serving size: 1/4 cup)

Ingredients
    6 cups thinly sliced pickling cucumbers (about 2 pounds)
    2 cups thinly sliced onion
    1 1/2 cups white vinegar
    3/4 cup sugar
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
    1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
    1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
    1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    4 garlic cloves, thinly slice

Preparation
    Place 3 cups cucumber in a medium glass bowl; top with 1 cup onion. Repeat procedure with the remaining 3 cups cucumber and remaining 1 cup onion.

Combine vinegar and remaining ingredients in a small saucepan; stir well. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute. Pour over cucumber mixture; let cool. Cover and chill at least 4 days.

Note: Pickles may be stored in the refrigerator for up to one month.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:28 (10% from fat)
    Fat:0.1g (sat 0.0g,mono 0.0g,poly 0.1g)
    Protein:0.3g
    Carbohydrate:7g
    Fiber:0.3g
    Cholesterol:0.0mg
    Iron:0.1mg
    Sodium:64mg
    Calcium:7mg
    Kathleen Kanen, Cooking Light, AUGUST 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Kyra View Post
    I don't think this is the right recipe, because it doesn't call for pickling spice. I will go try another search. But on the off chance, I will post this. I made it last summer and it was easy and tasty.
    thanks kyra, it's not the one, but it's good to get a good review on it. thanks for the idea, tea4one, i'll try that.

I found one from sunset

Dill Pickle Spears

Notes: "The chiles give these pickles a kick," says Debbie Harpe of Placentia, California. For the best pickles, buy very fresh cucumbers 3 to 4 inches long--larger ones are more likely to have formed hollows, and they don't pack as neatly into jars. Dill seed heads are sold on the stalk; snip off and discard the stem. For best flavor, let the pickles stand at least 1 week before serving.

Canning Instructions
    1/4 cup pickling spice
    3 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar
    6 tablespoons sugar
    1/4 cup salt
    5 pounds pickling cucumbers (about 40; see Notes)
    8 fresh dill seed heads (each 2 to 3 in. wide; see Notes)
    8 cloves garlic, peeled
    12 small dried hot chiles (each 3 to 4 in. long; 1/4 oz. total)

1. Follow steps 1 through 4 of Canning Instructions, using four wide-mouth quart-size jars.

2. Enclose pickling spice in a double layer of cheesecloth and tie tightly with string. In a 2- to 3-quart pan over high heat, bring spice bag, 3 1/2 cups water, vinegar, sugar, and salt to a boil, stirring often. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Discard spice bag.

3. Meanwhile, pick off and discard any blossoms and stems from cucumbers. Quarter cucumbers lengthwise.

4. Place 2 dill seed heads, 2 cloves garlic, and 3 chiles in each jar. Equally pack cucumber quarters vertically into jars without forcing, pushing 1/2 inch below rim; cut off any tips of spears that stick above this level.

5. Follow steps 5 through 11 of Canning Instructions; then pour hot vinegar mixture over cucumbers, leaving 1/2 inch of headspace (be sure liquid covers cucumbers). Bring water in canner to 180-185 and process for 20 minutes.

Sunset's Canning Tips:

Add butter to jams and jellies to prevent foam from forming during cooking. If you omit the butter, skim off the foam before ladling jam or jelly into jars. The recipe will yield about 1/4 cup less.

Measure all the sugar into a bowl before beginning the recipe. Many canning recipes call for a large volume of sugar to be added when a mixture is already boiling; measuring ahead simplifies this step and prevents mistakes.

Use a ruler to measure volume. Some recipes call for a mixture to be reduced by a certain amount. To ascertain this easily, insert a clean, wood ruler into the pan before cooking and measure how far up the mixture comes. Then cook as directed until it has reduced by the percentage specified. For example, if uncooked mixture measures 4 inches in pan and recipe says to reduce by half, cook it down to 2 inches.

Yield: Makes 4 quarts (serving size: 2 spears, drained)

CALORIES 9.5 (9.5% from fat); FAT 0.1g (sat 0.0g); CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CARBOHYDRATE 2.5g; SODIUM 262mg; PROTEIN 0.2g; FIBER 0.3g

Sunset, AUGUST 2005
    "Everyone is kneaded out of the same dough but not baked in the same oven." - Yiddish Proverb

Another one from sunset

Sweet Zucchini Pickles

I did a search of all the indexes available and didn't find one maybe you will have better luck. Why isn't 2006 and 2007 available??

Quote Originally Posted by tea4one View Post
    Another one from sunset

Sweet Zucchini Pickles
    thanks so much-- that zuke recipe looks great, and the numbers 2006-2007 do ring a bell-- maybe I can even find the actual mag! Maybe.

If you find it, could you post it?

Here is the link for the Cooking Light Annual Recipe Indexes

I used the monthly recipes to made my own Excel sheet with clickable links with month/year for all the recipes from January 2006 to October 2008 (2,671 recipes). It's nice to be able to find and click in one file. I also did one for Southern Cooking for 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by tea4one View Post
    If you find it, could you post it?

when i find it, I will!

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer101 View Post

I used the monthly recipes to made my own Excel sheet with clickable links with month/year for all the recipes from January 2006 to October 2008 (2,671 recipes). It's nice to be able to find and click in one file. I also did one for Southern Cooking for 2008.
    thanks dreamer-- now doing an exhaustive search!

Thank you for the link. The link I went to when I did a search for them didn't have the 2006 and 2007 indexes available.
    The excel spreadsheet sounds interesting but I wouldn't be able to do it because I tried making an excel spreadsheet similar to what you did but for an inventory of some things and it didn't work out well. And don't even ask me to do clickable links within it too. Oh well, I guess it was never meant to be as far as me being able to learn and use microsofts office suite! Is there any way of having headers within excel without having it numbered? That is one thing I didn't like about it.

Are you sure it was a cucumber pickle? I found one for watermelon rind pickles...

Watermelon Rind Pickles

Yield:

10 servings (serving size: about 1/4 cup)
    Ingredients

* 1 (6-pound) watermelon
    * 6 cups water
    * 2 tablespoons salt, divided
    * 1 teaspoon pickling spice
    * 3 (1/4-inch) slices fresh ginger
    * 2 whole cloves
    * 2 whole allspice
    * 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
    * 1 1/4 cups sugar
    * 1 cup white vinegar

Preparation

Carefully remove outer green layer from watermelon rind using a vegetable peeler. Reserve remaining watermelon for another use. Cut rind into 1/2-inch pieces. Bring 6 cups water and 5 teaspoons salt to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add rind to pan. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain rind. Place in a large bowl.

Place pickling spice, ginger, cloves, allspice, and cinnamon on a double layer of cheesecloth. Gather edges of cheesecloth together; tie securely. Combine cheesecloth bag, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, sugar, and vinegar in saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Pour hot vinegar mixture over rind. Cool to room temperature. Cover and chill 12 hours.

Strain rind mixture through a sieve over a saucepan; return solids to bowl. Bring liquid to a boil; carefully pour over solids. Chill at least 8 hours before serving.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

The top section of that link are all pdf's. What I normally do is right click and save target as and save the pdf to my desktop. Both 2006 and 2007 pdf's worked ok.

I've been working back on my Excel file. I now have CL January 2001-October 2008 (7495 clickable recipe links). It was done with Excel 2007 and file size is 403KB (small enough to email). Converted to Excel 1997-2003 the file size jumps to 5.5MB. If anyone has Excel 2007 and wants file let me know.

I started it as practice in learning Excel 2007. I'm getting pretty good at it!

Headers and Footers in Excel can be anything you want. They can contain any text or images. You can choose to have page numbers if you want.
    Last edited by dreamer101; 10-03-2008 at 08:48 PM.

The top section of that link are all pdf's. What I normally do is right click and save target as and save the pdf to my desktop. Both 2006 and 2007 pdf's worked ok.

I've been working back on my Excel file. I now have CL January 2001-October 2008 (7495 clickable recipe links). It was done with Excel 2007 and file size is 403KB (small enough to email). Converted to Excel 1997-2003 the file size jumps to 5.5MB. If anyone has Excel 2007 and wants file let me know.

I started it as practice in learning Excel 2007. I'm getting pretty good at it!

Headers and Footers in Excel can be anything you want. They can contain any text or images. You can choose to have page numbers if you want.
    I'm interested in the excel file.

What email address do I send it to?

What email address do I send it to?
    I sent you a PM.

I didn't notice PM. I've sent it.