Community Message Boards

Thread: Little Bugs (nats?) in dried garbanzo beans

Little Bugs (nats?) in dried garbanzo beans

I've been making lots of hummas lately using either canned beans or dried beans that I cook. Both times I used dried beans - when I added water to the pot to soak them... little bugs (maybe the size of nats) come to the surface of the water and appear to still be alive.

When I find bugs in lettuce or other produce - it seems natural. Though, it seems a little odd that these bugs are in dried beans.

Both times I purchased them at the local food store. Should I be looking elsewhere for my dried beans? Is this typical - and not something to even think about?

I just worry because it seems like the bugs must be entering the bean bin after they are dried (since they are still alive). I purchase many things from this store and have never had any quality issues.

I appreciate any thoughts on the issue!

Thanks,
    Renee

In my experience, the same bugs that like to eat my flour, rice, pasta and cereal, also like to eat my dried beans. No, it's not typical.

Sometimes when you buy stuff, the eggs are already in there. If you can deal with the thought of eating the eggs (unknowingly), you can freeze everything you buy and eat. They say you can still eat them once the bugs are floaters and/or are sifted out, but personally, I wouldn't. And not because I'm vegetarian. Just because they gross me out.

Also, be aware that any kind of insect infestation tends to spread through your whole pantry. If you're keeping those garbanzos in a bag in your cupboard, check ANYTHING else that isn't in a sealed jar.

If you are buying your beans in bulk (you mention bins) from a local store, I would let them know, and (if it were me) find another supplier.
    fresh hot random! mad endeavour on vox
    Ask Palpatine: "Just because I'm the Dark Lord of the Sith doesn't mean you can't get to know me."

Thanks so much for the tips. Luckily, I kept the bag on my counter and not in the pantry because I was planning to make two batches today. I'm going to toss the beans and will tell the store about the problem.

I'm feeling more than a little grossed out that I fed my family the hummas last time. I pulled 3 little bugs out but hadn't considered the eggs. Luckily, with 2 hours of boiling... at least they were dead. I'm hanging on to that thought tightly so please don't tell me the eggs can handle the heat. Even if they can... I can't handle knowing I fed live bug eggs to my almost 13 month old. Better living through denial ...but I won't make the same mistake again!

I guess I'll try the beans at Whole Foods since that is my other option.

Thanks again,
    Renee

It's happened to me before, and luckily I opened the packaged as soon as I got home, so no storage, no infestation.

On the plus, think of all the extra protein you may have consummed.
    For Pete's sake, now I blog!
    http://www.ifagioli.com/

Unless you've already tossed them, I'd put them in a bag and try and return them. It's not your fault there are bugs, and they should give you a refund.
    Chris

I'd feel certain nothing was alive after two hours of boiling. Don't worry about that.

All four, rice and othe grain products as well as dried beans are subject to getting weavils, flour or pantry moths or other little critters. Happens with pet foods and bird food too. It can happen occassionally anywhere, but if you have a reoccurring problem with things you buy from a particular source, they may not be storing things well or they may not have a good turnover.

Please. Do NOT carry the bug infested product back into the store!

Bob

No worries... no plans to bring the bugs back into the store! I went today (without the beans) told them about the bugs and got my money back. They seemed shocked at the idea... until we pulled the container off the rack and looked closer. I should not have helped with this process.

I think I am still going to get my beans from a different source for a bit to ensure they work through the issue.

Thanks for all the tips.

I'm using canned beans to make my hummas tonight!

Renee

Quote Originally Posted by CompassRose View Post
    Also, be aware that any kind of insect infestation tends to spread through your whole pantry.
    Yep, I can attest to that. I just had it happen and had to throw away a bunch of dried goods. Ick.
    TKay