Community Message Boards

Thread: Cinnamon in Chili

Cinnamon in Chili

I am making Chili and I wanted to try the suggestion of adding cinnamon. When I goodled *chili with cinnamon* for the amount of cinnamon to be used I got 15 pages of threads to read.

I think I remember that it is one teaspoon. Could someone please either confirm or correct that? When you taste the chili do you immediately think "Hmm, how odd, that has cinnamon in it!"

TIA.
    The cardiologist's diet: - If it tastes good spit it out!

Chili that I've had that has cinnamon usually also has cocoa powder. It would depend on how much meat you are using (or beans if you're making a meatless version). For 2 pounds of meat I wouldn't use anymore than a teaspoon and probably less. You could also just use a stick to simmer in the chili and then remove.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Quote Originally Posted by ADM View Post
    When you taste the chili do you immediately think "Hmm, how odd, that has cinnamon in it!"

TIA.
    Yes, I did....
    Go for it!

I make chili with a pound of ground chicken and 1/2 tsp cinnamon (no cocoa, though I've added that when I felt there was something missing). I never noticed it tasting cinnamony.
    Happiness is not a goal, it is a byproduct. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Canice View Post
    I make chili with a pound of ground chicken and 1/2 tsp cinnamon (no cocoa, though I've added that when I felt there was something missing). I never noticed it tasting cinnamony.
    I usually put in a few shakes, so that's about 1/2 teaspoon and I never taste the cinnamon, I taste something warm/spicy in the background.

The recipe I have has 1/2 t. It's subtle but noticeable. It's a white chili.

this recipe
    http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...ipe_id=1031612
    is one of my favorites for chili- it uses only 1/8 tsp cinnamon, but even with that small amount I can still notice the taste, although it doesn't jump out and anounce itself. I'd say go easy on the cinnamon.... a little bit can go a long way.

I do 1/2 t--but I use Ceylon/true cinnamon always, never Cassia (unless I think the recipe intended cassia, like maybe for a Cinci style chili).
    -Laura

Muffins are for people who don't have the 'nads to order cake for breakfast.
    --Seth, "Kitchen Confidential" (the show, not the book)

www.thespicedlife.com/

My son lives in Cincinnati and put a packet of Cincinnati chili ingredients in my Xmas stocking years ago. The rest is history. This is a wonderful variation. Here is my recipe:

Cincinatti Chili

lb Ground round
    1 large can of kidney beans, drained
    3 1/2 c Chopped onion
    2 cups chopped celery
    1/4 ts Ground nutmeg
    1 Stick cinnamon
    4 cl Garlic, minced
    3/4 ts Salt
    1/4 ts Pepper
    2 ts Ground cinnamon
    2 cn Whole tomatoes, undrained & -chopped (14.5 oz ea)
    2 ts Paprika
    1 ts Chili powder
    1 ts Ground cumin
    1/2 ts Ground allspice
    1/2 ts Dried whole marjoram
    2 T honey
    2 T white vinegar
    1/2 oz. unsweetened chocolate
    2 cups beef stock

36 Oyster crackers
    4 1/2 c Hot cooked spaghetti
    3/4 c Shredded cheddar
    Instructions:
    Coat a large Dutch oven with cooking spray; place over medium- high heat until hot.
    Add 2 cups onion, garlic, nutmeg, cinnamon stick, salt and pepper; cook until meat is browned, stirring to crumble.
    Add ground cinnamon, tomatoes, beans, paprika, chili powder, cumin, allspice, marjoram, honey, vinegar and chocolate.
    Simmer, uncovered 20 minutes.
    To serve, arrange spaghetti on individual serving plates. Spoon chili over spaghetti, top with cheese and remaining 1 1/2 cups onions.
    6 1 1/ 2 cup servings

Personally I don't like it on spaghetti; it dumbs down a fantastic flavor. I serve it in a bowl with Italian bread to sop up the juices. But you can't tale the pasta away from a Cincy resident. I even planned to serve it as my sister's church in New Haven, CT and the pastor, from Cincy, was thrilled and couldn't wait to have it over spaghetti. I did it
    I still love my Tex-Mex chili recipe and alternate my big batches.
    This can be vegetarian REAL EASY by using veggie crumbles. My son's mountain bike team recruited me as their vegetarian cook 2x to W. VA on a grueling 24 hour relay. We kicked the night off before they started with this recipe using veggie crumbles.

I put a tiny pinch of cardamom (oops, that's my secret and I let it out). I won my hometown's chili cook-off 2 years ago (dad got 2nd) and I got 2nd last year.

I've tried the cinnamon, but didn't like it, and didn't place that year.

Jennifer

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
    --Abraham Lincoln

Write it on your heart that everyday is the best day of the year.
    --Emerson

I like a couple shakes of pumpkin pie spice.

I still remember a feature story about Natalie Wood and Robert Wagner in BA in the late 70's in which Natalie stated that a touch of clove was the secret to her chili and I have used it often ever since....I am dating myself but I began reading BA in high school and I think it was maybe in 1978 or so when I went away to college that I bought that issue. I am sure the it is stored somewhere in my folk's basement! Natalie was apparently quite the cook.
    Adopt a shelter cat!
    www.arascolorado.org