Community Message Boards

Thread: What to do with 3 ripe bananas?

What to do with 3 ripe bananas?

I've already made a banana spice cake this week, and also muffins. I rather over-bought on bananas last week!

What else can I do?? Something dessert-y, but not like cake or muffins. Any ideas?

TIA!
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

While this wouldn't use all your bananas, it is a fun dessert!

Mini Banana Whoopie Pies (Adapted from Martha Stewart)

For the batter

2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup mashed ripe banana
    1/2 cup sour cream
    8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1 large egg
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla

For the filling

16 ounces cream cheese, softened
    1 cup confectioners' sugar
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla

To prepare the batter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

In a small bowl, stir together banana and sour cream.

In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter and sugars until light and creamy. Add egg and beat until combined. Mix in vanilla. Alternately mix flour and banana mixture into the creamed butter, beginning and ending with flour mixture, mixing just until combined. Scoop the batter into a pastry bag fitted with a 1/4" round tip.

Pipe batter into 1 1/4" rounds onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Place into the oven and bake until the edges are a light golden, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove and transfer sheet of parchment to a wire rack and allow the soft cakes to cool completely.

To prepare the filling

In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla, mixing until smooth and creamy. On the flat side of half the cakes, spoon about one tablespoon worth of the filling on top. Top with the unfilled halves to form a sandwich. Lightly dust with confectioners' sugar before serving.

Makes about 36 whoopie pies.
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

You could always peel & freeze them... that's what I do so I have them in case the mood hits to make banana bread (have you tried CL's Marbled Banana Bread? It's DH's fave!) or I pull one out in the morning to make a smoothie for my breakfast!
    Sue

I'm here with my best friend... my fork!! ~ Paula Deen

If you always keep your head up, you'll never find that lucky penny on the sidewalk.

Quote Originally Posted by suebear37 View Post
    You could always peel & freeze them...
    I don't even peel mine. I just toss 'em in the freezer as is.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammster View Post
    EWWWW! That's a little too slimy for me!!!
    Sue

If you always keep your head up, you'll never find that lucky penny on the sidewalk.

EWWWW! That's a little too slimy for me!!!
    Not sure I follow. What do you mean too slimy? I don't put slimy bananas in the freezer either.

How about banana pudding? I saw this recipe at the top of the last page in the Bittman Vegetarian thread.

Quote Originally Posted by meslgh View Post
    Back at last with the banana pudding recipe. This is a variation on his vanilla pudding. I typed this up for use incorporating the variation into the base recipe.

Banana Pudding by Mark Bittman

This pudding, called blancmange in Western Europe, is thickened with cornstarch rather than eggs, which makes it less rich (and lower in fat) but just as thick and creamy as regular pudding. Flavored with ripe bananas, this is guaranteed to be the best you’ve ever made.

2.5 cups whole milk
    ¼ cup sugar
    3 very ripe bananas, peeled and cut into ½ inch pieces
    Pinch of salt
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or 1 vanilla bean)
    3 tablespoons cornstarch
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (optional)

1) Put 2 cups of milk, the sugar, and the salt in a small to medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook just until it begins to steam/Add the bananas and steep them in the warm milk for about 20 minutes (recipe is a little confusing about when to add the bananas). Strain out the bananas, discard them, and return the milk mixture to the pot. (If using a vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise, and scrape the seeds into the milk and add the pod at the beginning; strain and discard the pod with the bananas.)
    2) Combine the cornstarch and remaining milk in a bowl and stir to blend (there should be no lumps). Add the cornstarch mixture to the warm milk. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens and just starts to boil, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to very low and continue to cook, stirring, for another 5 minutes or so. Stir in the butter if you’re using it and the vanilla if you’re using extract.
    3) Pour the mixture into a 1 quart dish or into 4 to 6 ramekins. Put plastic wrap directly on top of the pudding to prevent a “skin” from forming. Refrigerate until chilled. Serve within one day (with whipped cream, if you like).
    Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible. – Cadet Maxim

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Not sure I follow. What do you mean too slimy? I don't put slimy bananas in the freezer either.
    The one time I froze them unpeeled, I defrosted them while still in the peel. The bananas & the peel were so wet they totally grossed me out.

I'm guessing you peel them while still frozen???
    Sue

The one time I froze them unpeeled, I defrosted them while still in the peel. The bananas & the peel were so wet they totally grossed me out.

I'm guessing you peel them while still frozen???
    Oh, thanks. No, I put them in a bowl or other container and let them thaw and then peel them. I guess the wetness doesn't bother me. Plus you don't have to totally peel them. Once they are open, just squeeze out the banana pulp like toothpaste from a tube. (must be a guy thing. )

Oh, thanks. No, I put them in a bowl or other container and let them thaw and then peel them. I guess the wetness doesn't bother me. Plus you don't have to totally peel them. Once they are open, just squeeze out the banana pulp like toothpaste from a tube. (must be a guy thing. )

Don't think it is a guy thing. I handle mine the same way and it doesn't bother me in the least.

How about making biscotti with your bananas?

* Exported from MasterCook *

Banana Bread Biscotti

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Biscotti

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 3/4 cups flour
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup mashed ripe banana
    1 T canola oil
    1 large egg
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/2 chopped walnuts or pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; set aside.

In a large bowl, combine banana, oil, egg and vanilla, and mix until well blended. Add the flour mixture and walnuts to the banana mixture and stir just until combined. If the mixture seems dry, use your hands to mix.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, divide in half and shape each piece into an 8 inch log. Place the logs 2-3 inches apart on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with nonstick spray and flatten each into a rectangle that is about 3 inches wide.

Bake for 30-35 minutes, until firm and cracked on top. Transfer to wire rack to cool for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temp to 275 degrees.

Place logs on a cutting board, trim the ends and cut each diagonally into 1/2" to 3/4" thick slices. Place biscotti cut side down on the cookie sheet. Return them to the oven for 20 minutes, then flip them over and bake for another 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool.

Source:
    "One Smart Cookie"
    Yield:
    "2 dozen"

NOTES : Banana Chocolate Chip Biscotti: Add 1/2 cup chocolate chips along with the walnuts.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. - Anonymous

No, I put them in a bowl or other container and let them thaw and then peel them. I guess the wetness doesn't bother me. Plus you don't have to totally peel them. Once they are open, just squeeze out the banana pulp like toothpaste from a tube. (must be a guy thing. )
    It's not a guy thing at our house, since I do the same (my husband does comment on how strange it is to have black bananas in the freezer all of the time, tho). I must try the toothpaste trick, it sounds kind of fun

The banana whoopie pies look great, Joe.

Amy

I think it's just one of those things that make me squirmy. I can't clean & carve a pumpkin, either. The smell & texture make me gag.

On the other hand, having raised 2 boys, I can do blood & barf, no problem!!
    Sue

Joe! You're trouble! I had been about to make some banana bread... but those sound so delicious.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

Joe! Those cookies look delish! I'm going to save that recipe for a special event coming up.

I'm saving the biscotti recipe too . . . I love biscotti and bake it often. I've never had banana!

I'm thrilled with the idea of pudding! I would never have thought it. I'm going to make that. I won't eat it, but I'll bet the boys will enjoy it immensely.

Thanks for all the input!

Debie

I know you said you didn't want muffins, but Alleycat posted these a while back and they are really good!

Rev: Whole Wheat Banana Blueberry Muffins

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found this recipe last night when weeding through cookbooks for giveaway. I've never used the Black Dog Summer on the Vineyard Cookbook, so was thinking about letting it go. Not now! This is a great cookbook! I've planned a dinners for this coming week directly from here

I halved the recipe, and made 24 mini muffins. Too cut back on fat, I did 1/4 cup canola oil and 1/4 cup lowfat buttermilk. I kept the nutmeg to 1/4 tsp and added a couple dashes of cinnamon, too.

DD loved them, which is always a plus for me! They are very moist and flavorful.

Whole Wheat Banana Blueberry Muffins
    Black Dog Summer on the Vineyard Cookbook

One of our most popular muffins ~ not too sweet and loaded with fruit and flavor ~ they make a great-and-run breakfast. You can mix the batter and refrigerate overnight. In the morning fold in the fresh blueberries, bake and enjoy!

2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour (I used white whole wheat)
    1-1/2 cups rolled oats
    2 tsp baking soda
    1/8 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp ground mace or nutmeg
    1 cup honey
    1 cup canola oil
    6 mashed ripe bananas
    1 TBSP pure vanilla extract
    2 cups fresh blueberries (I used frozen)

1. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
    2. In a separate bowl blend together the honey, oil, bananas, and vanilla.
    3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients mixing only until the ingredients are combined. A good muffin batter should be lumpy. Cover and refrigerate overnight or proceed to bake now.
    4. To bake, set your oven to 350. While it preheats, bring your batter to room temp and grease and flour muffin tins. If you prefer, you may use liners.
    5. Gently fold the blueberries into the batter. Fill each muffin cup at least 3/4 full. These muffins do not rise very much.
    6. Bake for about thirty to 45 minutes. Test with a knife. The point should come out clean when the muffins are ready.

Makes 16 to 20 minutes.

(I halved the recipe and made mini-muffins, which needed 19 minutes to bake at 350.)
    Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Chefzhat View Post
    I'm thrilled with the idea of pudding! I would never have thought it. I'm going to make that. I won't eat it, but I'll bet the boys will enjoy it immensely.

Thanks for all the input!

Debie

Don't forget the Nilla wafers.

When you use frozen blueberries, did you defrost them? Do you have to do anything different when using frozen vs. fresh blueberries?

Could you post your banana spice cake? That sounds great, and I have about 6 to use up!

No, it's not a guy thing. I do this, too. I have to admit that the squeezed-out bananas--especially as you're squeezing--are some of the grossest-looking ingredients out there, but it sure works & is easy! I use a bench scraper to get the smooshed naners & the liquid from the cutting board into the measuring cup, figuring (based on this BB's advice to me last year) that the naners would've released the liquid during baking anyway, so keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by witchy View Post
    When you use frozen blueberries, did you defrost them? Do you have to do anything different when using frozen vs. fresh blueberries?
    It's best to keep them frozen, but I've successfully used them when they're defrosted. I actually had a thread on that very topic (asking about it) two months ago. Toss the blueberries with some flour to help keep them from sinking (frozen or not), & they may sink a little but it's not a big deal.
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

Quote Originally Posted by 2HUNGRY! View Post
    Could you post your banana spice cake? That sounds great, and I have about 6 to use up!
    Mine? I'll dig it up and post it for you. If I remember right, it's a regular banana cake recipe that I added nutmeg, cinnamon, and apple chunks to. A rather cobbled-together recipe - but very good. I'll be back later to post it.

I made the pudding . . . the boys are waiting for it to cool!

I had Sauteed Sweet Plantains for dinner last week - picked them up at Pollo Campero (this Mexican fried chicken place). It might work for bananas too

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sauteed...no/Detail.aspx

1/4 cup peanut oil for frying
    2 tablespoons butter
    3 yellow plantains (very ripe), peeled and cut in 1-inch-thick slices
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)

Heat peanut oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat until the butter begins to sizzle. Gently toss plantain slices with brown sugar, then place into hot oil. Fry until the plantains begin to turn golden brown, then turn over, and continue frying until they have caramelized, about 2 minutes per side.
    Drain plantains on a paper towel-lined plate and sprinkle with salt before serving.

SSM
    Now Robin's Mom too...10/21/02

Our banana bag :-)

I often have ripe bananas and no time to bake, so I peel them and break them into chunks and drop them into our freezer banana bag. That makes it really easy to pour out just what we need for smoothies. And if the smoothie needs a bit more sweetness, we can just add in another chunk.

Just another idea...

Oh, and I also peeled three whole ripe bananas and put them into a quart size bag and smooshed them together - I figure that's premeasured for the day when I can bake up banana muffins!

I will be in trouble if my freezer dies - I've been doing a lot of batch cooking lately in hopes of trying to make weeknight dinners/breakfasts easier.
    Laurie

I do same. I thaw them in a strainer in the sink. As soon as peel can be pulled back, I leave them in stainer to continue thaw.

Sometimes I roast them frozen before use to dry them up and concentrate the flavor (until the bananas split and flesh oozes and caramelizes in the baking pan [I use tin foil to line the baking sheet]).

Dolores
    "we can't go 'round measuring our goodness by what we don't do, by what we deny ourselves, what we resist and who we exclude...
    we've got to measure goodness by what we embrace, what we create, and who we include."
    Pierre Henri in Chocolat
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.photographybydolores.com

bananas Foster anyone?
    Anne