Community Message Boards

Thread: Super Sticky Bandage Suggestion For Elbow

Super Sticky Bandage Suggestion For Elbow

I have an abraded elbow and nothing I am putting on seems to adhere for very long -- and then the abrasion never gets healed since it's on the spot in which constant pressure is applied.

Short of wrapping my elbow in surgical bandages are there bandages that work. I have tried surgical tape on the bandaid (not very attractive) but it doesn't seem to stick to my skin.

Thanks in advance.
    Some days I pray for Silence, Some days I pray for Soul,
    Some days I just pray to the God of Sex and Drums and Rock 'N' Roll.

Meatloaf

I have had great luck with "Mole Skin" sticking to hard-to-stick skin. I was first introduced to this wonder product by a medical student I met while hiking in Italy. It saved my feet. I had blisters all over - like big, infected, nasty blisters- and it completely protected and helped heal the infections. It can hurt to pull off, and I would suppose there is a chance it will pull off scabs - but for whatever reason my feet still manage to heal (heel.. hehe) despite the sticky pad touching the "wound". Let me know if you want me to find an example of the stuff..

Good luck. I hate big, patchy wounds. They are so hard to cover and heal!
    - Josie

I went to look and see what we had in the bathroom, but I didn't find what I was looking for. We do have some Nexcare Active Extra Cushion Knee & Elbow bandages. I know we have used those on knees, but I was thinking that Nexcare also had an extra large waterproof bandage. If they do come in the large size, we are out of them.

I think the Nexcare Active used to be called sport -- they have a stretchy, flexible foam exterior and the adhesive seems to stick better than most. The waterproof are super sticky, to the point that I will only use them if I really need them. I would look for one of those.

If you try the moleskin, you might want to treat it like you are making your own bandage and put a gauze pad with some antibiotic ointment in the center so it won't stick to the wound.

There is a liquid band-aid type product that you might want to try. I also have had good luck with the new waterproof type bandages.

Thanks -- I will look for moleskin and sport/adhere in moisture type bandaids for starters --

I want to keep some antibiotic cream on the abrasion because part of the problem is that the elbow is cracked in that spot so the cream serves the dual purpose of moisturizing as well as being antiseptic. I don't think the liquid stuff would "pad" the elbow sufficiently when it hits the table when I reading at a desk.

Meatloaf

Tegaderm! Available at your local pharmacy! At least, I think it is. It should be...
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."

Quote Originally Posted by ErinM View Post
    Tegaderm! Available at your local pharmacy! At least, I think it is. It should be...
    This is what I was going to suggest. You should be able to find it with the bandaids and other first aid supplies. The Nexcare Knee and Elbow bandaids would be my next suggestion, but Tegaderm will hold even better.
    Claire

It doesn't matter what you think, just that you do.

How about New Skin. It goes on like nail polish, but it will send you to the moon if the wound is open.

Quote Originally Posted by sharhamm View Post
    How about New Skin. It goes on like nail polish, but it will send you to the moon if the wound is open.
    I used this on a huge open blister once. Seriously, I almost fainted it hurt so bad.

Visit my blog about cooking and a new season of life at http://reconnecting-with-my-kitchen.blogspot.com/

This is your life, are you who you want to be?
    ~ Switchfoot

Yeah, the liquid is painful on an open wound, and she said above that she wnats the protection of more cover and padding on the elbow.

I've had 2 boys through all the younger years to teens now and never heard of Tegaderm. How did that happen? I thought I'd been through every form of bandage.

tegaderms are hospital dressing used for wound care made by 3M. I am not sure if they were always available outside the hospital so that may be why you never heard of them. They are SUPER sticky.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/produ..._sku=sku361002

Oddly, Staples has these listed on their website, too!
    http://www.staples.com/office/suppli...&ci_sku=595575

Have you tried using cohesive bandage to hold on non-stick gauze pads? It may not look pretty, but it sticks to itself and not skin. When DH shattered his arm, I used to wrap him from fingertips to armpits in the stuff to keep the edema from getting too bad; otherwise, he got sausage fingers. In addition, it held on the massive dressings that covered his surgical wounds from the multiple pins, plates, wires, and spikes being put in to hold his arm together. Since he is allergic to most adhesives, it was the only alternative. I learned to love the stuff for hard-to-fit places that need a wound dressing.
    Okay...it's time to pull up your big-girl panties and get on with it. (Seen on a bathroom wall.)

Visit my blogs: Cooking the Books

For recipes only, visit the companion blog: Cooked Up.

I keep that stuff (the kind of krinkly stuff) on hand too -- as much for the dogs as for the people. It was having a dog with a paw that needed bandaging that caused me to realize it wasn't something I would be able to go get if I needed it and to make sure I was never without it. Good stuff!

If the Tegaderm is a Nexcare product, I might not have noticed the other name. I know I bought something a bit different for a foot injury a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by Beth View Post
    I keep that stuff (the kind of krinkly stuff) on hand too -- as much for the dogs as for the people. It was having a dog with a paw that needed bandaging that caused me to realize it wasn't something I would be able to go get if I needed it and to make sure I was never without it. Good stuff!
    They sell it at the drugstores here; it's easy to get. (Although I did hoard it when I could get it for free.)
    Okay...it's time to pull up your big-girl panties and get on with it. (Seen on a bathroom wall.)

Visit my blogs: Cooking the Books

For recipes only, visit the companion blog: Cooked Up.

If the Tegaderm is a Nexcare product, I might not have noticed the other name. I know I bought something a bit different for a foot injury a while back.

The "krinkly" stuff sometimes goes by the name "Coband"

Tegaderm is a 3M product. Unless Nexcare is calling it something similar...
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."

I think Nexcare is a 3M company -- that was the name on the photo in the link.

Even my trusty Target sells the krinkly stuff -- their own brand and the name brand. The Target brand is fine for most things, but the adhesion is not as strong.

I miss Target -- the roof caved in during Ike and they had to gut it. It's just weird to have any store you shopped at be gone without warning.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

As far as I can tell there are the following possibilities

Sport type bandaids?

Tegaderm -- not sure exactly what that is but if it is with the bandaid/wound dressing type stuff I will figure it out

Mole skin -- If I remember what this is, it comes in a square and you cut out a little piece to put on top of a blister? Will it still stick if one has antibiotic cream?

I am not sure what a cohesive bandage is -- is it the "crinkly stuff" later referred to. I have some stuff called surgical tape but it doesn't seem to do anything. I suppose I could try completely wrapping my whole upper arm but I was trying to avoid that since the actual abraded spot is just surrounding the very "point" of my elbow -- which is what seems to get rubbed and jabbed as it invariably hits every surface.

Meatloaf

I think Nexcare is a 3M company -- that was the name on the photo in the link.

Even my trusty Target sells the krinkly stuff -- their own brand and the name brand. The Target brand is fine for most things, but the adhesion is not as strong.
    Oops! Didn't know Nexcare was owned by 3M!

Quote Originally Posted by blazedog View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

As far as I can tell there are the following possibilities

Sport type bandaids?

Tegaderm -- not sure exactly what that is but if it is with the bandaid/wound dressing type stuff I will figure it out

Mole skin -- If I remember what this is, it comes in a square and you cut out a little piece to put on top of a blister? Will it still stick if one has antibiotic cream?

I am not sure what a cohesive bandage is -- is it the "crinkly stuff" later referred to. I have some stuff called surgical tape but it doesn't seem to do anything. I suppose I could try completely wrapping my whole upper arm but I was trying to avoid that since the actual abraded spot is just surrounding the very "point" of my elbow -- which is what seems to get rubbed and jabbed as it invariably hits every surface.
    The krinkly stuff/coband is really more for stability...we use it a lot in Recovery to secure IV lines in babies and children, as well as to adhere gauze to puncture wounds after blood draws.

I don't think moleskin with stick...even if it did normally, I think the antibiotic cream might negate that. Never tried it, though, so I could be wrong.

I think what I would do is to use a small gauze pad and then the tegaderm over that. The stuff we sometimes use is like plastic...whenever someone gets a cut at work or has an open wound of some kind on their hands we use the tegaderm to cover it. It sorta looks like your finger is wrapped in plastic wrap, but it's very adhesive and doesn't come off unless you want it to. Hopefully you'll be able to find someone to put it on you...that part can be challenging, and with it being your elbow you really need two hands! Good luck!
    Erin

-generic