Community Message Boards

Thread: Spoiled Sweetened Condensed Milk?

Spoiled Sweetened Condensed Milk?

Tonight, I am making Paula Deen's Not Yo' Mamma's Banana Pudding for my DH's potluck tomorrow. Opened up my can of Eagle SCM, and its the color of butterscotch and the consistency of pudding! I've never, ever seen that stuff go bad. Needless to say, DH is on the way to Kroger.

Now I'm wondering just how long it was on my shelf? I looked at the can and label, and there was no obvious "use by" date, just a bunch of codes.

Anyone ever have this happen? What's the shelf life of this stuff? I thought it was like Twinkies!

Oh well.

Amy

Quote Originally Posted by doggerham View Post
    Tonight, I am making Paula Deen's Not Yo' Mamma's Banana Pudding for my DH's potluck tomorrow. Opened up my can of Eagle SCM, and its the color of butterscotch and the consistency of pudding! I've never, ever seen that stuff go bad. Needless to say, DH is on the way to Kroger.

Now I'm wondering just how long it was on my shelf? I looked at the can and label, and there was no obvious "use by" date, just a bunch of codes.

Anyone ever have this happen? What's the shelf life of this stuff? I thought it was like Twinkies!

Oh well.

Amy
    I don't think it's bad. It's just old. I've had many a can of condensed milk like that -- maybe not "butterscotch" but definitely dark/yellowish, because I used to stockpile the stuff, and I've never worried about it -- just scraped it out of the can with a spatula and carried on. Hm. Should I have worried? No one's thrown up, or died....

As long as the can didn't hiss or anything, and it smelled okay, I would've deemed it good to go.
    fresh hot random! mad endeavour on vox
    Ask Palpatine: "Just because I'm the Dark Lord of the Sith doesn't mean you can't get to know me."

I seem to remember there was a thread about this a while back. I can't seem to remember what the verdict was though
    newcook

It might be ok, just a bit old ad CompassRose mentioned!
    The sell by date on condensed milk is on the bottom of the can!!
    Ana

Quote Originally Posted by newcook View Post
    I seem to remember there was a thread about this a while back. I can't seem to remember what the verdict was though
    That may have been me. I posted about making a Meyer Lemon Tart w/ old SCM, & I didn't know what it was supposed to look like so I proceeded. The tart looked like, well, mid-brown mush . . .

Now, I throw out my SCM if it hangs around too long. It might not make you sick, but it will (or can) ruin a recipe. I'm glad you replaced yours.

If you phone the mfr's 1-800 #, and give them the codes on the bottom of the can, they can tell you how old it was. That's how I discovered (long ago as an inexperienced cook--I, too, thought SCM was like Twinkies & it'd never go bad in the can) the year of my can's manufacture. It was OLD. Now I think the cans have the actual month & year of expiration on there--my guess is that if yours is too old to have the mo/yr, & just has the codes, it's way too old.
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

It's not "bad," but it may not produce the desired results in a given recipe. For example, I wouldn't use it to make a lemon meringue pie, but I would use it to make dulce de leche.
    The Blog is open again!
    http://singlegrrlkitchen.blogspot.com/

"If God had meant for corn bread to have sugar in it, he'd have called it cake." -- Mark Twain

DH said it smelled sour (I didn't), but safety first! And, since it was for something that is supposed to be light colored, I sent him to the store.

I read on another board some into about generally a 2-yr shelf life. Since there wasn't a best if used by date on the bottom of the can, I think I made the right choice for me.

Thanks for your thoughts!